SSD Issues for 4K Production Camera

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Weld.com

SSD Issues for 4K Production Camera

PostThu Apr 24, 2014 4:42 pm

I've been trying to get the footage from my BM4k Production camera onto my hard drive, but my computer won't find the SSD. I have MacDrive, but everytime I plug the SSD in to USB 3.0 I have to format the card for my computer to recognize it. PLEASE HELP!

Adam Simmons

Re: SSD Issues for 4K Production Camera

PostFri Apr 25, 2014 7:09 am

Just for future reference you can format the drive as exFAT that way you won't need to use macdrive as it's a format recognized by Windows and Mac.

If you are plugging it into a Windows machine and it needs formatting that would imply Macdrive isn't seeing it properly. Have you tried ignoring the formatting message and just checking if the drive shows up anyway? I sometimes get the message on USB pens and memory cards and tell Windows to ignore it and the pen/card still shows up in Windows Explorer.
Failing that you might want to ask the people at Macdrive
DVC Built Clevo P775DM3-G Laptop with UHD screen, 7700K CPU@4.9Ghz, Geforce GTX 1060 6GB GPU, G-Sync UHD screen, 500GB M.2 Primary, 1x 480GB SSD, 1x1TB M.2, 1x 2TB Video drives.
Building Bespoke Video Editing systems for over 16 years

Weld.com

PostFri Apr 25, 2014 8:03 pm

Adbear wrote:Just for future reference you can format the drive as exFAT that way you won't need to use macdrive as it's a format recognized by Windows and Mac.

If you are plugging it into a Windows machine and it needs formatting that would imply Macdrive isn't seeing it properly. Have you tried ignoring the formatting message and just checking if the drive shows up anyway? I sometimes get the message on USB pens and memory cards and tell Windows to ignore it and the pen/card still shows up in Windows Explorer.
Failing that you might want to ask the people at Macdrive

I am using a Apricorn 2.5" SATA wire to connect my SSD to the USB 3.0 slot and when I go to find the drive under computer it does not show up now. Has this happened to anyone else or just me? I have had more problems with this BM4K camera than anything I have ever used. I have a shoot on Monday and I really need to get this thing working properly.

If anyone has any insight, please let me know.

Adam Simmons

PostFri Apr 25, 2014 11:08 pm

Well in fairness it's not a Camera issue, but rather an issue with your computer seeing the drive. I suspect it's more likely the cable you are using. If you have it plugged into a socket on the case try plugging it into a socket on the back of the machine that is directly connected to the motherboard. Sometimes sockets on the case don't work as well due to the extra cabling between the case and the motherboard. Failing that buy an external harddrive bay that is powered.
Another thing to check, when you plug it in do you get the Windows connect noise? If you do then check in 'Disk Management to see if the drive shows up in there
DVC Built Clevo P775DM3-G Laptop with UHD screen, 7700K CPU@4.9Ghz, Geforce GTX 1060 6GB GPU, G-Sync UHD screen, 500GB M.2 Primary, 1x 480GB SSD, 1x1TB M.2, 1x 2TB Video drives.
Building Bespoke Video Editing systems for over 16 years

Return to Cinematography