Which capture card will work with my system

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Michael Lagrelius

Which capture card will work with my system

PostFri Sep 12, 2014 7:01 pm

I'm looking into buying an analog capture card for the purposes of digitally archiving lots of old VHS tapes onto my computer. I've read lots of conflicting reviews about a lot of different products, mostly stemming from incompatible systems so I want to make sure I know I'm getting the right one. My specs:

MSI z87 GD 65-motherboard
intel 4770k CPU
evga 780ti graphics card
Samsung EVO 250GB SSD (x2)
Windows 8.1

If I missed any important details let me know. Thanks.

Michael

Adam Simmons

Re: Which capture card will work with my system

PostSat Sep 13, 2014 6:41 am

Well the Intensity Pro is probably the best bet from the BM devices, but if they are old tapes you may also need a Timebase Corrector to clean up the signal otherwise you may get 'black flashes' where it drops partial frames
DVC Built Clevo P775DM3-G Laptop with UHD screen, 7700K CPU@4.9Ghz, Geforce GTX 1060 6GB GPU, G-Sync UHD screen, 500GB M.2 Primary, 1x 480GB SSD, 1x1TB M.2, 1x 2TB Video drives.
Building Bespoke Video Editing systems for over 16 years

Michael Lagrelius

Re: Which capture card will work with my system

PostWed Sep 24, 2014 5:26 am

Adam Simmons wrote:Well the Intensity Pro is probably the best bet from the BM devices, but if they are old tapes you may also need a Timebase Corrector to clean up the signal otherwise you may get 'black flashes' where it drops partial frames

Thanks Adam. I went with the Intensity Pro and got a Datavideo TBC-1000 and things are going smoothly.

Michael

Return to Post Production