Decklink 4K SDI - NO OUTPUT on WIN 8.1

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

John Terry

Decklink 4K SDI - NO OUTPUT on WIN 8.1

PostThu Oct 16, 2014 10:25 am

Hi guys!

Just got a brand new Decklink 4K SDI!

I've tried the card on a Macpro on maverick and everything works... But when I plug this thing in my new Workstation (Asus X99 E WS 5960x with Win 8.1 Pro), and nothing works!

I can see that in my monitor, few things seems to happen... He received a signal from time to time (not telling me to check the inputs) BUT no real picture. Only black. When I go premiere / after effects / resolve or else, all the software can see the card, none can output a signal. :cry:

I've installed all the driver from 10... Uninstalled and installed everything, unplug the card replug the card, changed SDI.

I'm using a KanexPro SDI to HDMI converter and I've thought it was maybe the culprit... BUT I've tried the input with a live feed from my BMCC and everything works...

Maybe Win 8.1? I will maybe try a full Windows restore tomorrow...

I began to feel a lil stressed since the first customers for this new station will be there in a few days...

Need help please!!!

Adam Simmons

Re: Decklink 4K SDI - NO OUTPUT on WIN 8.1

PostThu Oct 16, 2014 9:23 pm

Probably not down to Win 8.1 as use the decklink 4K range with Win 8.1. I suspect it may be something to do with the motherboard. Have you made sure you are on the latest BIOS and have you tried the card in other slots?
Personally I steer clear of these kind of boards. You only have a limited amount of bus lanes and these boards overload them so they have to share with each other using switching chips
DVC Built Clevo P775DM3-G Laptop with UHD screen, 7700K CPU@4.9Ghz, Geforce GTX 1060 6GB GPU, G-Sync UHD screen, 500GB M.2 Primary, 1x 480GB SSD, 1x1TB M.2, 1x 2TB Video drives.
Building Bespoke Video Editing systems for over 16 years

John Terry

PostSat Oct 18, 2014 6:12 am

Well... Definitely, the problem is the incompatibility of the Decklink 4K SDI and the ASUS WS MB.

I've tried to downgrade the os to Win 7, and I have the SAME exact result...

Is there any news from BMD about a new update of the Desktop Video?

I've called the support today and no real news on that...

I'm sure there gonna be A LOT of people in the next few days/weeks that will upgrade their workstation to X99.

For my part, I don't see any bad things about the X99 (except for the problem I talked here). The 5960x is really fast, I can have 4x gpu in 8x running like hell. The ram is amazing... I can work in 6K like nothing... Avid, Premiere, After FX and Resolve are snappy...

I wish this thing would work, I just invested thousand and thousand of $$$ in this new workstation and I never thought that the problem would be my BMC card... I'm desperate... :(((((

Adam Simmons

PostMon Oct 20, 2014 8:59 pm

Not sure what BM can do, as I said, those kind of motherboards use switching to allow for the PCI-e slots to use so many bus lanes. The CPU only has 40 which that board shares between 7 slots (the chipset bus lanes look like they are being used for everything else they've loaded up the board with). Looking at the config they allow for 64 bus lanes so I suspect it's to do with the switching that is causing the issue, when you try to push 64 lanes through 40 something has to give
DVC Built Clevo P775DM3-G Laptop with UHD screen, 7700K CPU@4.9Ghz, Geforce GTX 1060 6GB GPU, G-Sync UHD screen, 500GB M.2 Primary, 1x 480GB SSD, 1x1TB M.2, 1x 2TB Video drives.

Rude

PostSat Nov 01, 2014 2:11 am

John Terry wrote:Hi guys!

Just got a brand new Decklink 4K SDI!

I've tried the card on a Macpro on maverick and everything works... But when I plug this thing in my new Workstation (Asus X99 E WS 5960x with Win 8.1 Pro), and nothing works!

I can see that in my monitor, few things seems to happen... He received a signal from time to time (not telling me to check the inputs) BUT no real picture. Only black. When I go premiere / after effects / resolve or else, all the software can see the card, none can output a signal. :cry:

I've installed all the driver from 10... Uninstalled and installed everything, unplug the card replug the card, changed SDI.

I'm using a KanexPro SDI to HDMI converter and I've thought it was maybe the culprit... BUT I've tried the input with a live feed from my BMCC and everything works...

Maybe Win 8.1? I will maybe try a full Windows restore tomorrow...

I began to feel a lil stressed since the first customers for this new station will be there in a few days...

Need help please!!!

Hey...did you find a solution?

I just bought a SDI 4K and I use it on my dell workstation. (windows 7).
I tested everything and works perfect. Did you test it first with Blackmagic Media Express.
I even captured 1080i 59.94 from my BMCC 2.5k
Download the manual and test it step by step first with media express to make sure it works.

My screen was black too and I only saw the sound bars moving; I checked and changed the preferences and done.

John Terry

PostSat Nov 01, 2014 5:03 pm

Ok some news guys!

Well, I was able to capture via the Decklink but still no output!

I did it with Media Express.

Capture using 1080p 23.976 using a BMCC 2.5k, once it was captured I was not able to have any output from the same card with this new file.

So definitely, the computer see the card and can somehow use it... :geek:

I hope the next Desktop video version will solve this issue... :(

This thing cripples me so much...

John Terry

PostSat Nov 01, 2014 6:19 pm

OMG!!!

Just managed to make it work...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Opened Davinci, and checked the 444 option ON-OFF several time in the blackmagic Panel until it works!

If I close the panel, sometime I lose the signal...

At least this thing works!!

Now... the next thing... The 444 does not seems to work at all, tried on a other system (window) with the same card and no Output...

Somebody have a clue?

I use a single SDI...

Craig Marshall

PostMon Nov 03, 2014 11:35 am

Confirmed: BMD Decklink 4K SDI PCIe card works perfectly in Asus Haswell z87 'Expert' motherboard running under Win7 64bit OS.

PS: my Decklink SDI outputs to a BMD HDLink 'Fibre Optic' box which converts the SDI to DVI for 10bit monitoring out of Resolve 11.1.
4K Post Studio, Freelance Filmmaker, Media Writer
Win10/Lightworks/Resolve 15.1/X-Keys 68 Jog-Shuttle/OxygenTec ProPanel
12G SDI Decklink 4K Pro/Calibrated 10bit IPS SDI Monitor
HDvideo4K.com

Rude

PostWed Nov 12, 2014 4:03 am

John Terry wrote:OMG!!!

Just managed to make it work...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Opened Davinci, and checked the 444 option ON-OFF several time in the blackmagic Panel until it works!

If I close the panel, sometime I lose the signal...

At least this thing works!!

Now... the next thing... The 444 does not seems to work at all, tried on a other system (window) with the same card and no Output...

Somebody have a clue?

I use a single SDI...

windows 7, SDI 4k. No clue but now I have an issue too. I upgrade to Avid MC 8.2 and the full screen playback and sound doesn't work because of the decklink driver (10.2.2) I tried like 10 different drivers, from 9 to 10 and same thing.

Adam Simmons

PostWed Nov 12, 2014 6:45 am

Rude wrote:windows 7, SDI 4k. No clue but now I have an issue too. I upgrade to Avid MC 8.2 and the full screen playback and sound doesn't work because of the decklink driver (10.2.2) I tried like 10 different drivers, from 9 to 10 and same thing.

As I just posted on your other thread, this is standard in Avid as whatever hardware output card you install will take over the audio and video output. As you have already discovered you can disable the hardware output by using the toggle output button which then gives back the option for GPU full screen playback.

Rude

PostWed Nov 12, 2014 3:55 pm

Adam Simmons wrote:
Rude wrote:windows 7, SDI 4k. No clue but now I have an issue too. I upgrade to Avid MC 8.2 and the full screen playback and sound doesn't work because of the decklink driver (10.2.2) I tried like 10 different drivers, from 9 to 10 and same thing.

As I just posted on your other thread, this is standard in Avid as whatever hardware output card you install will take over the audio and video output. As you have already discovered you can disable the hardware output by using the toggle output button which then gives back the option for GPU full screen playback.

Adam, I just found the Avid Certified Blackmagic Design Hardware:

PCIe Card: DeckLink HD Extreme 3D, DeckLink Studio, DeckLink SDI, Intensity Pro, Multibridge Eclipse, Multibridge Pro

So Avid DON"T support the Decklink SDI 4K but on the BMD website, they sell the SDI 4K as compatible with Avid.

Thanks for your help Adam.

R

Adam Simmons

PostWed Nov 12, 2014 4:46 pm

Makes no difference, those other validated cards will work in exactly the same way

Rude

PostWed Nov 12, 2014 5:01 pm

Adam Simmons wrote:Makes no difference, those other validated cards will work in exactly the same way

Thanks Adam

Return to Post Production