Intensity Shuttle USB 3.0 system requirements need an update

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Tom Perre

Intensity Shuttle USB 3.0 system requirements need an update

PostSun Dec 30, 2012 8:49 pm

I mean really, the system requirements for the Intensity Shuttle haven't changed since the product was released! They were already outdated when I bought the Shuttle two years ago. Here's what the official website tells you:

USB 3.0. Requires an x58 based motherboard with onboard USB 3.0, or a USB 3.0 PCI Express card and an x58 or P55 series motherboard. Does not support USB 2.0 capture and playback. Please check the Support pages to see the full system requirements.

Intel X58 series motherboards with onboard USB 3.0 support are required to support Blackmagic Design's USB 3.0 video products. The onboard USB 3.0 support of other motherboards, such as the P55 series, cannot be used.

Listed below are motherboards that have been verified for Intensity Shuttle, UltraStudio Pro and Pocket UltraScope:

ASUS P6X58D-Premium
ASUS P6X58D-E
Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD7
Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5
Asus Crosshair IV

Essentially this means that anyone buying this product now will always be running it on unsupported hardware. I had to spend months trying to figure out how to get the Shuttle to work, and Blackmagic's support, though friendly and quick to respond, could always hide behind the fact that my hardware wasn't officially supported. Back then I was told they were in the process of testing newer P68 motherboards, but as you can see there's been no update at all. Obviously the Shuttle does work on newer hardware, and from what I heard Intel USB 3.0 chipsets work fine (no idea about Asmedia, which didn't work at all when I tried them two years ago). It currently works on my setup, but I have no idea if I could upgrade my motherboard or not. Basically the end-users are doing the testing for you, and if I want to upgrade my motherboard I have to look for posts from other users that already tested the Shuttle with it instead of going to the official website.

I think this is a major factor in people hesitating to buy the product, so I don't quite understand why there's been no progress there. I think the Intensity Shuttle is an impressive piece of work at the price it's being sold, but it desperately needs better documentation.

Dubguy

Re: Intensity Shuttle USB 3.0 system requirements need an up

PostFri Feb 15, 2013 11:30 pm

I couldn't agree more. Any updates on this?

Sarah Jones

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Feb 15, 2013 11:38 pm

We have updated the support notes and FAQ for our USB 3.0 products just this past week. You can visit the support section of our website for more information on this.
Sarah Jones

Blackmagic Design

ADPLwebmaster

PostSun Feb 17, 2013 7:48 pm

Thanks have had a look and this is a start for finding a windows laptop compatible with intensity shuttle! MY main question is that you are saying that there is only one certified laptop for use with intensity shuttle - MSI GE620 and that is discontinued! So are you really saying that you have not tested any laptops to work with this product. Surely not?! I have a shuttle but badly need to know which laptop I can buy to guarantee online streaming to work!

Also I presume because you don't have a list of compatible HD camcorders to stream HD you are saying that all are compatible? I also need to buy ones and need to know it will work with the laptop/shuttle!

Mike Squires

PostSun Feb 17, 2013 7:55 pm

Check out this thread for a list of compatible laptops:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4277

ADPLwebmaster

PostTue Feb 19, 2013 2:06 pm

I will test fully with Windows 7 to see if the blue screens and freezes continue as they did in Windows 8. If not I may not need to go down route of selling the laptop and getting another one.

Return to Getting Started