Pocket Ultrascope/USB Controller Bandwidth

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author
  • Message
Offline
User avatar

Delty

  • Posts: 5
  • Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:21 am
  • Location: SoCal

Pocket Ultrascope/USB Controller Bandwidth

PostTue Jan 08, 2013 3:27 am

Backstory: I was chillin at work watching Youtube videos, when all of the sudden I was given this BMD Pocket Ultrascope and USB 3.0 ExpressCard, then, I was shoved in front of a workbench and was told "make this work."

Here's what I have:
BMD Pocket Ultrascope>StarTech ExpressCard USB 3.0 Controller Adapter Card(uses Renesas USB 3.0 driver)>Dell Latitude E6400(Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2.66GHz, 4.00GB RAM, Windows 8 x64) (Mobile Intel 4 Series Graphics)

After I connect all of this and install the proper software and drivers I get an error message saying that the USB Controller does not have enough bandwidth for the Pocket UltraScope.

I have already read what laptop and other system requirements this needs. So, I know I am screwed when it comes to the integrated Intel video. My question is regarding the USB 3.0 bandwidth. Why wouldn't the ExpressCard work with this? USB 3.0 is 5Gbit/s and the ExpressCard will work at 5Gbit/s. Is the Pocket Ultrascope somehow operating beyond standard? Or are there other reasons besides bandwidth for the Pocket Ultrascope to only work with the HP Envy 15."

Edit: I misspelled "bandwidth" :lol:
Last edited by Delty on Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Offline
User avatar

Liam Kennedy

  • Posts: 2110
  • Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:52 am
  • Location: Pasadena, CA

Re: Pocket Ultrascope/USB Controller Bandwitdth

PostTue Jan 08, 2013 8:00 am

Expresscard standard not capable of full USB3.0 5Gb/s speed. So... it isn't going to work.

EDIT: or I should say I researched this.. and that's the conclusion I came to when I was looking about 6 months ago. By the way... I use a Fujitsu laptop and it's built-in USB3 port supports various BMD devices (e.g. ATEM 1/ME) and I can use the Ultrascope software to monitor the video scopes on USB3.
ATEM 1/ME, TVS, Hyperdeck Studio, Fujitsu Lifebook NH751 USB3
Offline
User avatar

Delty

  • Posts: 5
  • Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:21 am
  • Location: SoCal

Re: Pocket Ultrascope/USB Controller Bandwitdth

PostTue Jan 08, 2013 8:13 pm

"The Standard complies with the PCI Express 2.0 specification with transfer rates of up to 5Gbps, two times faster than its previous version and the new SuperSpeed USB, with speeds of 5Gbps or 10 times faster than Hi-Speed USB. ExpressCard 2.0 products will be backward compatible with previously released compliant products. The new Standard is now available, with products projected for 2010." - From the ExpressCard Home Page's ExpressCard 2.0 FAQ PDF. http://www.expresscard.org/files/CeBIT09-FAQ.pdf

The StarTech ExpressCard USB 3.0 Controller Adapter Card provides a Superspeed USB 3.0/5Gbit/s transfer rate. It also has control, bulk, interrupt, and isochronous USB transfer modes.

I think the problem may lie in the ExpressCard bus on this laptop (Dell Latitude E6400). If the laptop's bus is only ExpressCard v1.0 then the USB 3.0 adapter card is is going to be limited by that (transfer rate 2.5Gbit/s). Actually I'm very sure that's what the problem is. I have tried this on a Dell Latitude D830 and have gotten similar results as the E6400. The manual for the laptop doesn't state what version of the ExpressCard bus is installed. I will call Dell and ask. I will also try this on a Toshiba Qosmio, which is a higher end laptop that may have ExpressCard 2.0. I will post the results.

tl;dr... The Dell Latitude E6400 most likely has the wrong ExpressCard bus version. (Edit: Besides also having the issue of not meeting the video adapter requirements :mrgreen: )
Offline
User avatar

Delty

  • Posts: 5
  • Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:21 am
  • Location: SoCal

Re: Pocket Ultrascope/USB Controller Bandwidth

PostWed Jan 09, 2013 7:13 pm

Update: So, I called Dell. After navigating through their over-the-phone tech support labyrinth, they could not give me an answer. I emailed Ricoh (hardware IC manufacturer) as a wild stab in the dark, but they could not give me an answer either. No biggie, as I'm pretty sure that the Dell laptops I am working with only have the ExpressCard bus v1.0 on them, though some kind of confirmation would have been nice. My second generation Toshiba Qosmio also appears to have ExpressCard 1.0.

At this point I am stuck until I can somehow get my hands on a laptop with a confirmed ExpressCard bus v2.0.
Offline
User avatar

Liam Kennedy

  • Posts: 2110
  • Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:52 am
  • Location: Pasadena, CA

Re: Pocket Ultrascope/USB Controller Bandwidth

PostWed Jan 09, 2013 11:16 pm

Delty wrote:At this point I am stuck until I can somehow get my hands on a laptop with a confirmed ExpressCard bus v2.0.


Or a laptop with a compatible USB3.0 port.
ATEM 1/ME, TVS, Hyperdeck Studio, Fujitsu Lifebook NH751 USB3
Offline
User avatar

Delty

  • Posts: 5
  • Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:21 am
  • Location: SoCal

Re: Pocket Ultrascope/USB Controller Bandwidth

PostThu Jan 10, 2013 1:38 am

Liam Kennedy wrote:
Delty wrote:At this point I am stuck until I can somehow get my hands on a laptop with a confirmed ExpressCard bus v2.0.


Or a laptop with a compatible USB3.0 port.


"Presently there are no certified notebook computers for use with Pocket UltraScope. Testing is being conducted on several new notebook models and the results are expected soon. We will update this support note when we find new notebook models which can be reliably used with Pocket UltraScope. We advise against purchasing notebook computers for use with it until certification testing has been successfully completed." - From BMD's support notes on the Pocket Ultrascope

Although, you said that you use a laptop with USB 3.0 that will work with the Pocket Ultrascope:
"By the way... I use a Fujitsu laptop and it's built-in USB3 port supports various BMD devices (e.g. ATEM 1/ME) and I can use the Ultrascope software to monitor the video scopes on USB3."

Or, did you mean that you used a scope that's not a Pocket Ultrascope with the Ultrascope software? Have you tested that laptop with a Pocket Ultrascope?
Offline
User avatar

Liam Kennedy

  • Posts: 2110
  • Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:52 am
  • Location: Pasadena, CA

Re: Pocket Ultrascope/USB Controller Bandwidth

PostThu Jan 10, 2013 1:56 am

Delty wrote:
Liam Kennedy wrote:Although, you said that you use a laptop with USB 3.0 that will work with the Pocket Ultrascope:
"By the way... I use a Fujitsu laptop and it's built-in USB3 port supports various BMD devices (e.g. ATEM 1/ME) and I can use the Ultrascope software to monitor the video scopes on USB3."

Or, did you mean that you used a scope that's not a Pocket Ultrascope with the Ultrascope software? Have you tested that laptop with a Pocket Ultrascope?


No... I do not have a Pocket Ultrascope (and in my comment above I did not say it worked with an Pocket Ultrascope). However with the ATEM 1/ME it outputs uncompressed video via it's USB3 port. On my Fujitsu laptop I run the Ultrascope software and that allows me to view the scopes perfectly. My "guess" (not to be relied upon for spending $$$) is that as my Ultrascope software works - the pocket Ultrascope may also work on this laptop.

If anyone has one spare... I'd be happy to try it out (however this "particular" model is no longer sold... even though it's only about 5 months old).
ATEM 1/ME, TVS, Hyperdeck Studio, Fujitsu Lifebook NH751 USB3
Offline
User avatar

Delty

  • Posts: 5
  • Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:21 am
  • Location: SoCal

Re: Pocket Ultrascope/USB Controller Bandwidth

PostThu Jan 10, 2013 3:15 am

No... I do not have a Pocket Ultrascope (and in my comment above I did not say it worked with an Pocket Ultrascope). However with the ATEM 1/ME it outputs uncompressed video via it's USB3 port. On my Fujitsu laptop I run the Ultrascope software and that allows me to view the scopes perfectly.

Yeah mybad, I wasn't sure if you meant "scopes" in general or specifically the Pocket Ultrascope.
If anyone has one spare... I'd be happy to try it out (however this "particular" model is no longer sold... even though it's only about 5 months old).

I would be interested in testing your laptop out, even if it's just for grins since that laptop is discontinued. I work in Glendale and you're in Pasadena. I could drive over where you're at and we could try it out. PM me if you're interested.
Offline
User avatar

Xtreemtec

  • Posts: 3074
  • Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:48 am
  • Location: The Netherlands

Re: Pocket Ultrascope/USB Controller Bandwidth

PostSun Jan 20, 2013 11:25 am

Yes it is a lot of FUZZ and a lot of laptops and controllers And a lot of them DONT work..

Check this topic for compatible laptops> viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4277
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 1M/E 4K, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Hyperdeck Studio Mini, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control
Offline

simpak

  • Posts: 1
  • Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:43 am

Re: Pocket Ultrascope/USB Controller Bandwidth

PostFri Jun 21, 2013 6:46 am

Delty wrote:Backstory: I was chillin at work watching Youtube videos, when all of the sudden I was given this BMD Pocket Ultrascope and USB 3.0 ExpressCard, then, I was shoved in front of a workbench and was told "make this work."

Here's what I have:
BMD Pocket Ultrascope>StarTech ExpressCard USB 3.0 Controller Adapter Card(uses Renesas USB 3.0 driver)>Dell Latitude E6400(Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2.66GHz, 4.00GB RAM, Windows 8 x64) (Mobile Intel 4 Series Graphics)

After I connect all of this and install the proper software and drivers I get an error message saying that the USB Controller does not have enough bandwidth for the Pocket UltraScope.

I have already read what laptop and other system requirements this needs. So, I know I am screwed when it comes to the integrated Intel video. My question is regarding the USB 3.0 bandwidth. Why wouldn't the ExpressCard work with this? USB 3.0 is 5Gbit/s and the ExpressCard will work at 5Gbit/s. Is the Pocket Ultrascope somehow operating beyond standard? Or are there other reasons besides bandwidth for the Pocket Ultrascope to only work with the HP Envy 15."

Edit: I misspelled "bandwidth" :lol:


Please update all your drivers.. :)

Return to Getting Started

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests