Problem with da vinci resolve lite 9

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

nytoway

Problem with da vinci resolve lite 9

PostThu Sep 13, 2012 11:22 am

Hi,

I can not add my videos in davinci resolve 9 litel!
Whether through software or by dragging the rush inside.

Could someone help me please? I forgot something?

Thx

Joshua Helling

Blackmagic Design

Re: Problem with da vinci resolve lite 9

PostThu Sep 13, 2012 5:01 pm

Can you explain that a little better. Walk me through that step by step so I can check it out on our side. I can import files using the mounted devices list to the left of the media screen.
Joshua Helling

Director of World Wide Support
Blackmagic Design Inc.

nytoway

PostThu Sep 13, 2012 6:47 pm

Ok, so when I open davinci resolve, I log in, then I open a project.
My project opens on the window "media". On this window, I try to add clips in the media pool or library. Right click and "add folder" ... but nothing's happening! Even when I slip a video in windows, the icon "add" is displayed but nothing happening too!

i really do not understand!

Joshua Helling

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Sep 13, 2012 7:07 pm

Can you navigate to the folder by choosing it from the list on the left?
Joshua Helling

Director of World Wide Support
Blackmagic Design Inc.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Sep 13, 2012 11:41 pm

On the Media page, in the Library area in the upper left, select the folder with your video files. If they are files Resolve Windows can support, they will appear in the window to the right. If you select your folder, and no files appear in the window on the right, that would mean they are files that Windows Resolve does not support.

What type of files are you trying to load?
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

nytoway

PostFri Sep 14, 2012 6:34 am

Mr. Helling,

I can't navigate to the folder because I have no list that appears on the left. Moreover, when I right click and I select "add folder into a media pool" nothing happenning too!

Mr. Maggart

My kind of files are. MOV and .m2ts. .

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Sep 14, 2012 4:23 pm

Resolve for Windows does not currently support m2ts files. Various .mov formats are supported, more available for reading than for rendering. You can view the supported CODECs in our Resolve 8.2 Supported Codecs List, found in the support area of the web site, in the Resolve software area under Support Notes. An updated list for Resolve 9 will be coming soon.

To solve the issue of not seeing folders in the Library area of the Media page, open the Resolve Preferences window, and select the Media Storage area. You should define a scratch disc location here, that will be used as the default path for storing stills and cache files. If you also select the checkbox on the "Show all material volumes in the "Library"", you should then be able to see any drives connected to your system in the Library area. Once you've made changes in the Preferences area, you need to Save those changes, and then exit and restart Resolve for the changes to take effect.
Dwaine Maggart

postoffice

PostTue Oct 09, 2012 9:16 am

Hi Dwaine,
We have a fresh install of Resolve Software on a win 7 and can not access the "material volumes". In fact we dont have the checkbox "Show all material volumes in the "Library"" in the Preferences/Media Storage. We see it on our Mac, but not the win7.

Please advice,
Thanks,
David

dawn

PostThu Oct 11, 2012 12:57 pm

Hi! I'm having the exact same problem the user above described, I am also using Resolve Lite on Windows 7.
When I right click on the library, it brings up a menu with all the different options to bring in folders to the library, but clicking on any of the options doesn't do a thing. Please help! Thanks!

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Oct 11, 2012 7:06 pm

Upon further research, I was incorrect about the "Show all mounted volumes in the "Library"" option being available in Windows Resolve. This checkbox is only available in the Mac Resolve version.

In Windows Resolve, you will need to manually add all the Volumes you need to see into the Scratch Disks area.

To do this, select the Resolve Preferences menu, then select the Media Storage section.

Click on the + icon at the bottom left of the Scratch Disks display area.

In the "Find Directory" window that opens, select the My Computer icon on the left.

On the right, you should see a list of drives available on the system. Double click the drive you want to add to the Scratch Disks list, so that it appears in the upper "Look in:" entry area.

If this is a drive you want to add to the Scratch Disks list, click the Choose button. You should then see the drive added to the list.

If you want a folder from this drive in the Scratch Disks list, double click the desired folder name, so that it appears in the upper "Look in:" entry area. Then click the Choose button. You should now see the folder in the Scratch Disks list.

A reminder that the TOP entry in the Scratch Disks list is the DEFAULT location for the Stills, cache and proxy files. You will see this folder location in the Project Settings / General Options / Working Folders area, UNLESS you have created a user Preset that specifies different working folder paths.
Dwaine Maggart

samueltelles

PostMon Oct 29, 2012 9:13 pm

Hi,

I have the same problem, just can't import any media to davinci.

I can see all folders but the Davinci don't see any file, and drag and drop to inside don't do nothing. I've tyied all kind of installation (quicktime installed before, after, auto install), and I see a "Quick Time Decoder initialization failed" and import doesn't work.

Windows 7.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Oct 31, 2012 12:03 am

Can you please send the smallest file sample you have that does not show up in the Library view to davincihelp (AT) blackmagicdesign (DOT) com?
Dwaine Maggart

samueltelles

PostWed Oct 31, 2012 3:37 pm

Yeah, I will send a file from my camera, but i can't see any other type of file, just folders. And I'm trying with all the "tutorial clips" downloaded from davinci website.

Hedgefunder

PostSat Jan 05, 2013 10:18 am

I have the exact same problem, it seems like QT poses a problem to see and use clips from a 5D3 in Resolve Lite 9. Any other suggestion as to what my solve this?

shmuelik

PostTue Jan 15, 2013 3:43 am

I have the same problem. I'm on a Retina MacBook with 10.8.2 and in the media tab under "Library" I can't see and select any of my volumes. I also tried to import an XML from FCPX but it can't find the media attached to it.
What can I do?

themightythor

PostFri Feb 08, 2013 2:32 am

Has any one found a Solution to this? Quicktime wont initialize on a 24GB NVdia XT670 980 i7 processor, it says Quicktime Initialization failed. is BM working on this? any one? Beuller? and YES i have installed and UNINSTALLED a billion times, HELP!!!!!

Ivan Tanaskovic

PostFri Feb 08, 2013 3:34 am

This is third one about same thing! Read my solution on:
viewtopic.php?t=3501

themightythor

PostFri Feb 08, 2013 10:10 am

Ivan Tanaskovic wrote:This is third one about same thing! Read my solution on:
viewtopic.php?t=3501

Re-Installing Windows is not a viable option for most, its a last ditch effort. there is no reason in the world why you would RE-INSTALL windows to fix this problem. Since every other program recognizes MOV/H264 files this is a path or registry problem, seemingly, with Resolve that it cant find the Quicktime Modules. Your "Solution" is not the FIX. not sure why you think that.

Highlander_man

PostWed Feb 13, 2013 7:11 am

Hi All,

Just joined and of course that is primarily because of this problem.

Reinstalling Windows (8) is not a fix or a solution that is viable to the majority of users.

Would appear the software is simply not seeing .mov files. Never having used the software before that is as far as I can go - not a clue to a solution or how to workaround the problem.

themightythor

PostWed Feb 13, 2013 2:43 pm

Highlander_man wrote:Hi All,

Just joined and of course that is primarily because of this problem.

Reinstalling Windows (8) is not a fix or a solution that is viable to the majority of users.

Would appear the software is simply not seeing .mov files. Never having used the software before that is as far as I can go - not a clue to a solution or how to workaround the problem.

Its EXTREMELY Frustrating BM isnt addressing this or at least confirming they are looking into this problem ALOT of users are having. I have the LITE version to test with before buying the full out pro version but their lack of support on this problem is not making me inclined to BUY the software.

As far as i can tell, it may be a Registry problem or a path problem that it doesnt see quicktime modules. I am back to exploring my registry settings tonight in hopes of finding an incorrect reference to Quicktime MOV files. :evil:

Ivan Tanaskovic

PostWed Feb 20, 2013 6:52 pm

themightythor wrote:
Ivan Tanaskovic wrote:This is third one about same thing! Read my solution on:
viewtopic.php?t=3501

Re-Installing Windows is not a viable option for most, its a last ditch effort. there is no reason in the world why you would RE-INSTALL windows to fix this problem. Since every other program recognizes MOV/H264 files this is a path or registry problem, seemingly, with Resolve that it cant find the Quicktime Modules. Your "Solution" is not the FIX. not sure why you think that.

I didn't found "fix", I've found a solution for myself and that's big difference so "don't put words in my mouth".
Good luck!

jtmystery

PostThu Apr 18, 2013 9:27 pm

Hi, I had the same issue, and just wanted to pitch in and and clarify the original problem in this thread for future reference. Unfortunately, this post does not solve the later problem in this thread about the "Quicktime Initialization Failure".

THE (Original) PROBLEM: Cannot add any media into the DaVinci Resolve program. It's either not seeing the right folder or files, or you cannot drag and drop any files into the media pool.

THE CONFUSION: I am on a Windows 7 PC. I (and perhaps many of you) instinctively tried to drag your video files from the Windows Explorer window and drop them directly into the Media Pool (bottom left window by default). This will not work. Nothing will happen. You MUST drag your files from the LIBRARY (top left window by default) into the Media Pool.

THE NEXT PROBLEM: Looking up at the Library, you cannot see your drive or files.

THE SOLUTION: Dwaine Maggart from BMD actually correctly posted the solution; but he answered two different problems in the same post, and that might've led to the confusion. I had to read it twice before I found it...

In order for your drive/files to be seen in the Library, you must tell Resolve to access those drives at startup first. To do that on a PC, goto PREFERENCES, select MEDIA STORAGE, and select ALL folders and/or disk drives that you want to be listed in the Library.

[Side note: The first folder/disk drive that you list will be used as the cache as well]

Restart the program. You should be seeing the Folder/Disk Drive where your files are stored in the LIBRARY window now (this is what you specified in the preferences window earlier). From there, you can start dragging and dropping your video files into the MEDIA POOL.

I hope that helps.

Shinglinator

PostSat Apr 20, 2013 7:45 am

jtmystery wrote:Hi, I had the same issue, and just wanted to pitch in and and clarify the original problem in this thread for future reference. Unfortunately, this post does not solve the later problem in this thread about the "Quicktime Initialization Failure".

THE (Original) PROBLEM: Cannot add any media into the DaVinci Resolve program. It's either not seeing the right folder or files, or you cannot drag and drop any files into the media pool.

THE CONFUSION: I am on a Windows 7 PC. I (and perhaps many of you) instinctively tried to drag your video files from the Windows Explorer window and drop them directly into the Media Pool (bottom left window by default). This will not work. Nothing will happen. You MUST drag your files from the LIBRARY (top left window by default) into the Media Pool.

THE NEXT PROBLEM: Looking up at the Library, you cannot see your drive or files.

THE SOLUTION: Dwaine Maggart from BMD actually correctly posted the solution; but he answered two different problems in the same post, and that might've led to the confusion. I had to read it twice before I found it...

In order for your drive/files to be seen in the Library, you must tell Resolve to access those drives at startup first. To do that on a PC, goto PREFERENCES, select MEDIA STORAGE, and select ALL folders and/or disk drives that you want to be listed in the Library.

[Side note: The first folder/disk drive that you list will be used as the cache as well]

Restart the program. You should be seeing the Folder/Disk Drive where your files are stored in the LIBRARY window now (this is what you specified in the preferences window earlier). From there, you can start dragging and dropping your video files into the MEDIA POOL.

I hope that helps.

I am having the problem above and I have found (stumbled) my way across to these preferences. But the library STILL ONLY SHOWS FOLDERS. So, yeah, I'm stuck still. Any fixes anyone?

BTW: Using Cineform Codec for the GoPro Hero 3 (which is set to 1080p 23.976p), which is stated to be supported on the Davinci Resolve page.

Ange31

PostMon May 06, 2013 12:01 pm

Guys, this may be a very silly suggestion... and I'm sure everyone has done this.. but I thought I'd just check that the people having problems viewing video files in the library are actually double clicking on the folder where the desired files are stored rather than just on the triangle dropdown to reveal the folder.

When you go through the file hierarchy clicking on the triangle dropdowns to open the folders.. Resolve will not reveal the contents of the folder where your files are stored; you need to double click on what looks like an empty folder , the files should then show up on the right in the library.

I am having a different problem though ... I can see my files in the library.... and the thumbnails will load correctly ... but then after about 5 minutes or so all the thumbnails will turn black. I can still move them into the media pool but when I try to play them though its just a black screen........? anybody else having trouble with this? This is actually only happening with Mp4, H.264 files... my .Mov files seem to be fine.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostMon May 06, 2013 7:51 pm

Are you getting any QtDecoder error messages when this happens? You are on Windows? What version of Resolve?
Dwaine Maggart

Shinglinator

PostSun May 12, 2013 8:20 am

Dwaine Maggart wrote:Are you getting any QtDecoder error messages when this happens? You are on Windows? What version of Resolve?

Yes. I've read the posts before and I do know that it's recommended at least 12GB; I only have 4. Is this the problem? And if so, is there a workaround?

Thanks, Shinglinator.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostSun May 12, 2013 2:27 pm

Please seriously consider following the guides including the guidance on RAM, GPU options and motherboards. They are written to help everyone build reliable systems that work everyday.
Peter
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

JackknifedPictures

PostSun Jan 19, 2014 2:07 pm

I was having the same issue (not being able to add media) and solved it, like so:

I added my ssd drive via the preferences window as a new scratch drive (restart resolve to see effect)
Inside Resolve, i created a new folder called "clips"
On my drive, I created a folder called "clips" and moved all media into it.
Restart resolve for a second time and now all media is accessible inside resolve.

The issue seems to be that you cannot simply add a drive to resolve in windows, as resolve will, by default, link to a directory on that drive instead. By specifying a directory you can import your media. Ofc, resolve seems to need to be restarted every time you make any sort of media preferences change.

It's not ideal, but it works for me.

sistersunshine

PostMon Mar 03, 2014 12:33 am

Hi,

This is DaVinci 10 lite.
I am on a mac OSX and I am trying to import footage into color. I can see the .mov file in the media area but I cannot get it to import into color?

Can anyone help?

I already changed the preferences to point my hard drive and restarted etc.

It is a .drp file I am trying to import.

Thanks.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Mar 03, 2014 8:48 pm

Are you importing a Resolve project export drp from another system, and when you do, the clips in the Media Pool look black? If so, the Media Pool clips are not pointing to a valid media location. You can verify that by putting the Media Pool into List view, and looking at the File Path column. Assuming the path is not correct, you can fix it by right clicking on a file or files in the Media Pool, and using the Change Source Folder menu.

Or, if you click the files in the Media Pool and see them in the Media page viewer, but you don't see anything on the Color page, make sure you've created a timeline on the Edit page, and put the clips on the timeline. On the Edit page, click the + icon in the upper left Timelines area, and in the Create New Timeline dialog box, uncheck the Empty Timeline box. That will automatically put all the clips in the Media Pool on the new timeline.
Dwaine Maggart

Return to DaVinci Resolve