Does BM equipment play nice with Macintosh

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Garrett Romain

Does BM equipment play nice with Macintosh

PostFri Aug 01, 2014 6:54 pm

I am a new member. I have a MBP 15" Late 2013 w/Retina display with OS 10.0.4, CPU 2.6Gh Intel i7, with 16GB memory. Thunderbolt and USB 3.0.

I am interested in vhs video conversion. I plan on purchasing equipment that works well with the Macintosh. Currently I am researching the following BM equipment: Intensity Extreme or Intensity Shuttle Thunderbolt™ or Intensity Shuttle USB 3.0 equipment. I am looking for reliable functional capability.

After conversion I will use Final Cut Pro 10.4 to edit the raw media.

Connectivity issues seem to be the main concern on the Mac Forum. After reading a lot of the posts under Macintosh it seems that none of the above BlackMagic equipment play's nice with the Macintosh computers.

Can any one tell me of a case with a positive configuration that's reliable? Please describe BM model your are using or describing.

Thanks

Tony Rivera

Blackmagic Design

Re: Does BM equipment play nice with Macintosh

PostFri Aug 01, 2014 9:23 pm

A majority of the computers we test with are Macs. If you plan on purchasing a capture device for your MBP, I would suggest going with the Thunderbolt product line as the USB3 drivers are still in beta for Macs.
Support: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support
Info: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/company

Follow us on Instagram:
@blackmagicnewsofficial

Colin Barrett

PostFri Aug 15, 2014 10:25 am

In my opinion, Blackmagic hardware works better on Macs than on Windows, especially since BM has now shifted a lot of its products over to Thunderbolt connectivity. I have three Macs on which BM Media Express in loaded and one Windows 7 PC. Whereas the Mac-based stuff just tends to work straight out of the box, I always end up faffing around with drivers, settings and other stuff to get systems running on Windows. Soon I'll soon be pensioning the Windows desktop unit off altogether.
Blackmagic Teranex 2D, Ultrastudio Express, Intensity Shuttle (Thunderbolt), Two H.264 Pro Recorders (Mac OSX) & lots of old VTRs used for digital archiving of legacy video formats for major libraries, broadcasters, universities and public archives.

Gordian Miller

PostSat Aug 23, 2014 10:02 am

we work with BMD equipment on Macs as well as with WIN PC's. Usually on the Apple platform You have more guarantee that the system works, beacause the Apple hardware is some kind of proprietary. On the WIn platform the chance to get into incompatibilities is higher because of the wide field of hardware possibilities.

The problem which can come up, is that Your BMD product (and drivers) do not anymore fit with the Apple's OS - Updates... and becomes unusable.

Return to Getting Started