Blackmagic Davinci Resolve 11 Final - Crashes

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author
swinxx

Blackmagic Davinci Resolve 11 Final - Crashes

PostMon Aug 18, 2014 5:20 am

hello!

i experienced really a lot of crashes when using davinci resolve 11 final 11.0 version
my mac system runs a
nvidia geforce 680 gfx card with 4gb ram,
mac osx 10.9.4,
32 gb ram, a
ssd hdd for system and a
raid 6tb for video files

i have also installed an ofx plugin called "neat video ofx" it is a denoiser which also seems to have problems within specific situations.

when i work with davinci crashes are really strange, cause davinci closes itself without any error message.. it is suddenly closed and gone.. without saving, error messages and so on
sometimes, when i placed a normal render job in the queue and start it, the render itself does not begin (no matter which video format i had chosen) and sometimes it stops when a crossfade begins (of a clip which is also denoised with the ofx from neat video). when i then disable the neat node, the render job works as expected.

- when i try to optimize the cpu gpu options within neat video, it begins to render a specific frame (simulated) to check how long the cpu and/or gpu need for one frame.. this process is neat specific and can be found in the plugin menu itself.. however i know this procedure from working with this plugin in after effects.. in davinci resolve the cpu performance is around 0.1 frames per cpu which is much too low for a i3700k cpu.

there is a also a window within the neat ofx plugin where you can see which gpu is installed in the system with how much ram.. when i check those info page, the gpu sometimes only shows 140mb ram!!... my gpu card has 4gb ram so i think something is eating up the performance and resources.

i work with magic lantern dng files, converted with rawmagic 1.1.2
there were also some sort of error messages that the gpu runs out of ram?
all in all the resolve crashes also happen when no neatvideo plugin is applied.
hope that you can help,

another thing i experienced: when i open a project in final 11 created with version 11/beta2 i have nomore sound, no matter what options i have tried, there is no sound.. the level meters bounce for 10 seconds, then go away and there is complete silence althought i have placed some audio tracks all over the complete timeline.

when i start a complete new project sound works as expected.

thank you for your support,
rene

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

Re: Blackmagic Davinci Resolve 11 Final - Crashes

PostMon Aug 18, 2014 8:49 am

Hi, based on your info, immediately after Resolve crashes, could you capture logs (run Macintosh HD/Library/Application Support/Blackmagic Design/DaVinci Resolve/CaptureLogs.app) and post the zipped log file (saved on your Desktop) here.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

swinxx

PostMon Aug 18, 2014 6:06 pm

hi,

i have tried to upload the attachement but got this error message within the upload process:
"Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached."

then i copied the file to my dropbox and wanted to share that link, but i have no permission to post an url..

hmmm.. perhaps someone can call the site administrator :)

Lee Gauthier

PostMon Aug 18, 2014 10:50 pm

Just post a few more messages. When your post count gets high enough, you can post links. It's an anti-spam feature. I think the threshold is 10 or 12 posts.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Aug 19, 2014 1:07 am

You could also post the Dropbox URL with spaces so it doesn't look to a computer to be a URL!
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

swinxx

PostTue Aug 19, 2014 9:15 am

ok here is the link

www dropbox com/s/vcbj4nha6jcyl3w/DaVinci-Resolve-logs-20140818-195817.tgz?dl=0

Pietro Mingotti

PostMon Oct 13, 2014 7:01 pm

Hello,

any news/fixes on this?
I'm also experiencing the same crash situation on renders.
Resolve just quits by itself, without any warning, save, log, or anything.

I'm trying to render a very simple grade on a single shot of 10 seconds, recorder in 4k with Production camera, placed on a 1080p timeline with export to prores hq 1080p.

My mac is not a huge power machine, but this task should be not so hard on it!

MBP late 2013
2.3 GHZ IC i7
16GB 1600 MHz DDR3
NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB
OS X 10.9.5

Thanks a lot

EDIT:

A little update on this: I've been doing several tries, since Resolve 11 seemed to export with no hassle another shot (same day, same reel, same SSD - which is a Sandisk 480gb pro -). So I figured that maybe the problem was that I was editing/grading/exporting directly from the external SSD to my MBP SSD (on the desktop). So I've done a whole new grade after importing the shot inside the computer. All the workflow is now inside the computer so it's not a connection or SSD issue.

Also I noticed that the crash happens ALWAYS at the same frame. What could it be? Because the camera reads it just fine, no dropped frames or anything, and other softwares (as After Effects) are reading, editing and rendering it just fine.

The name of the shot is the default one given by the camera, has no spaces or weird characters.

:(

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Oct 15, 2014 8:13 pm

Pietro, make sure the Resolve Preferences / Video I/O and GPU/ GPU processing mode is set to CUDA. And make sure your Mac System Prefs / Energy Saver "Automatic Graphics Switching" is NOT checked.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Pietro Mingotti

PostMon Oct 20, 2014 5:33 pm

Hello Dwaine,

thanks for getting back on this.

Fortunately, I've been digging this out with Blackmagic Design's support center.

It turned out that was a single frame of my DNG sequence killing resolve.

It was a bit weird (it still IS, to me) since the camera plays the whole file correctly, there are no dropped frames, and no software is capable of detecting any problems with any of the frames. So, the support center says it's because I've used a cheap SATA dock which corrupted a DNG of the sequence. This is still strange to me, because for what concerns my education, is a file is corrupted, it is not editable, playable, etc.

But hey, I cannot tell who is right and who is wrong, since I only have one SATA dock. As soon as I will be able to purchase a more "professional" one, I'll check if this is true. My only concern is if the camera is burning the DNGs in a unreliable way. That would be a huge problem.

Thanks for your directions, I confirm that all these settings have already been switched in the right way.

Return to DaVinci Resolve