2014 Macbook Pro with Davinci Resolve

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Eli B. Michaud

2014 Macbook Pro with Davinci Resolve

PostWed Aug 20, 2014 11:16 pm

I looking to upgrade my laptop and was wondering if this:

Macbook Pro Retina
2.5GHz quad-core Intel Core i7
Turbo Boost up to 3.7GHz
16GB 1600MHz memory
512GB PCIe-based flash storage 1
Intel Iris Pro Graphics
NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M with 2GB GDDR5 memory

would be good for using Davinci Resolve with and grading raw footage from my Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera? What sort of frame rates can I expect? Will it be real time? If anybody has this set up or one close to it I'd like to hear your opinions.

Thanks
Eli B. Michaud
Director, Cinematographer, Writer, Camera Operator

Bruce Thomas

Re: 2014 Macbook Pro with Davinci Resolve

PostMon Aug 25, 2014 4:06 pm

Hi Eli,

I have this setup, Macbook Pro Retina (2013)
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB
Memory 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Processor 2.7 GHz Intel Core i7
Software OS X 10.9.4
SSD system drive: 499.42 GB

And it is insufficient for editing using Resolve 11. Be warned.
My guess is that it relies heavily on GPU acceleration, which laptop users (like me) will never have :(

I get about 5 fps on playback. So I have been forced to return to editing with FCPX. Very disappointing, on the box the features of Resolve 11 would otherwise provide me a single workflow for the majority of my post needs.

It is a topic popping up across various forums and I recommend you google around some more opinions/experiences before you buy a laptop for editing/grading. So please do not take my word for it.
Workstation: Dell Precision 7910
Memory: 64Gb
GPU: nVidia Quadro M6000 24gb

Tristan La Fontaine

PostMon Sep 08, 2014 7:34 am

Hi Eli,

I have the same setup on my laptop and you should expect real time playback but once you start adding multiple nodes, especially with keys or tracking, blurs playback will drop back to about 5fps, and forget about noise reduction. Basic grading you'll be fine besides you're not really going to be doing complex grades on a 15" laptop, thats not what they're made for ;)

rick.lang

PostThu Sep 18, 2014 7:11 pm

Eli, if you can manage the budget, increase the memory to 32GB, increase the flash to 1TB, increase the CPU to the fastest i7 available, and you'll enjoy a longer useful life for the laptop and no doubt see an improvement. The 1TB might seem unnecessary, but I've seen results from machines with 256GB and 512GB and 1TB flash storage; each flash increase does buy you additional performance.

Rick Lang
Sent using Tapatalk HD
Rick Lang

Return to DaVinci Resolve