Ultrastudio Mini Recorder not showing picture! Urgent!

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

demonscars

Ultrastudio Mini Recorder not showing picture! Urgent!

PostWed Jun 19, 2013 5:17 pm

I hope this is the right place as I can't find the forum that quite fits best. I'm on a shoot right now and trying to use my Ultrastudio Mini Recorder to view a video tap. I've tried everything but cannot get a picture in any software using any settings. Have used various BNC cables as well. This is the set up:

Brand new 15" MBP with latest OSX and BM drivers

Using a Red One which is outputting to one of those standard 17" Panasonic monitors (don't quite know the model number, but if you're familiar with on-set monitors you'll probably know what I'm talking about). Monitor is showing 720/50 on input SDI 1. I've tried connecting between both the "video out" and the "switched out" at the back of the monitor and the Mini Recorder, neither gives picture, tried every setting in Media Express. Also tried coming straight out of the camera to the Mini Recorder with the same results. We're shooting at 24fps. I have SDI selected in the Blackmagic section of the system settings as well. Could it be a RED issue? Something in the camera settings? If someone is familiar, my cam dept doesn't seem to know this particular cam so well.

Please help!

Edited to add: in my short period off set I could only test with HDMI using a PC (the only non-HDCP source I seem to have, also just outputted like a second desktop) to output to the Mini Rec and at 720P/50 hz and got picture with no problem. This isn't an option on set as I need to use SDI.

Once again, help!

Sarah Jones

Blackmagic Design

Re: Ultrastudio Mini Recorder not showing picture! Urgent!

PostThu Jun 20, 2013 9:46 pm

I've just replied to the support email you sent regarding this issue, but I'll post a brief reply here for others who may encounter a similar issue. In general we've found the SDI output of the RED One to have a jitter rate outside of acceptable specifications for our capture hardware. The UltraStudio Mini Recorder in particular does not have a built-in reclocker on the SDI input as you'll find with some of our other capture devices, like the UltraStudio 4K for example, and therefore you'll need to reclock the signal prior to reaching the Mini Recorder in order to push the signal into an acceptable jitter range. And SDI DA or similar device should do the trick.

If you're ever in need of more immediate assistance, please give your nearest support office a call. Contact information for our support offices around the world can be found on our website here: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/company/
Sarah Jones

Blackmagic Design

Return to Post Production