Can't get BMD drivers working with ffmpeg on mac?

Ask software engineering and SDK questions for developers working on Mac OS X, Windows or Linux.
  • Author

seanphurley

Can't get BMD drivers working with ffmpeg on mac?

PostSun Feb 11, 2018 3:39 am

First off - so sorry if this is the wrong place / a very stupid question. Here's what I'm trying to do:

1. On a mac, simple proof-of concept terminal commands to capture video from BMD capture cards and write to disk

2. I understand I need the SDK installed (downloaded, unzipped)

3. I can't understand how to get the decklink commands in ffmpeg (ffmpeg -f decklink -list_devices 1 -i dummy) fails on the decklink command because it can't find it.

4. Is it possible to do this or must I compile all this jazz together with xcode to run something like this?

Thanks all -

Petar Petrov

Re: Can't get BMD drivers working with ffmpeg on mac?

PostFri Feb 16, 2018 1:18 pm

Hello,

Run ffmpeg without arguments and check the output, it should look like this:

Code: Select all
ffmpeg version N-89825-g1b5d3c08e3 Copyright (c) 2000-2018 the FFmpeg developers
  built with gcc 7.2.0 (Rev2, Built by MSYS2 project)
  configuration:  --enable-libmp3lame --enable-libopus --enable-libvorbis --enable-libvpx --enable-fontconfig --enable-libass --enable-libbluray --enable-libfreetype --enable-libmfx --enable-libmysofa --enable-libopenjpeg --enable-libsnappy --enable-libsoxr --enable-libspeex --enable-libtheora --enable-libtwolame --enable-libwavpack --enable-libwebp --enable-libxml2 --enable-libzimg --enable-libshine --enable-openssl --enable-chromaprint --enable-decklink --enable-libbs2b --enable-libcaca --enable-libfdk-aac --enable-libflite --enable-libfribidi --enable-libgme --enable-libgsm --enable-libilbc --enable-libkvazaar --enable-libmodplug --enable-libopenh264 --enable-libopenmpt --enable-librtmp --enable-libssh --enable-libtesseract --enable-libzmq --enable-libzvbi --enable-opencl --enable-opengl --disable-w32threads --extra-cflags=-fopenmp --extra-libs=-lgomp --extra-cflags=-DLIBTWOLAME_STATIC --extra-libs=-lstdc++ --extra-cflags=-DLIBSSH_STATIC --extra-ldflags='-Wl,--allow-multiple-definition' --extra-cflags=-DCACA_STATIC --extra-cflags=-DMODPLUG_STATIC --extra-cflags=-DCHROMAPRINT_NODLL --extra-libs=-lstdc++ --extra-cflags=-DZMQ_STATIC --extra-libs=-lpsapi --extra-cflags=-DLIBXML_STATIC --extra-cflags=-DKVZ_STATIC_LIB --disable-debug
  libavutil      56.  7.100 / 56.  7.100
  libavcodec     58.  9.100 / 58.  9.100
  libavformat    58.  5.100 / 58.  5.100
  libavdevice    58.  0.100 / 58.  0.100
  libavfilter     7. 11.101 /  7. 11.101
  libswscale      5.  0.101 /  5.  0.101
  libswresample   3.  0.101 /  3.  0.101
Hyper fast Audio and Video encoder
usage: ffmpeg [options] [[infile options] -i infile]... {[outfile options] outfile}...

Check if --enable-decklink is there. If its not there, your ffmpeg binary is not compiled against the decklink sdk, and you will have to compile ffmpeg from sources with the --enable-decklink flag.

Return to Software Developers