How Blackmagicdesign could gain edge and disrupt the market

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Roy Revelt

How Blackmagicdesign could gain edge and disrupt the market

PostFri Mar 23, 2018 5:06 pm

Currently, the software like "ATEM Software Control" is closed source, very constrained and lacking in features. The best strategical move Blackmagic could make, would be to embrace JavaScript, recode the "ATEM Software Control" (and others) in JavaScript, on Electron, then put them on GitHub and open source them. This way, anybody on GitHub could request features, contribute code, improve things and generate the publicity and sales. At no cost for Blackmagicdesign.

:idea: For example, a de facto standard of computer screen recordings is 720p. But "ATEM Software Control" window doesn't fit onto a 720p window. Practically this means all webcast makers have to switch to 1080p just to edit ATEM settings. If this were Electron app, the solution would be easy - shuffle the CSS media queries, and job's done. Probably community contributors would do that for you (Blackmagicdesign), for free. But currently, I can't even report this issue to BMD easily. Not to mention BMD hassle coding it up on defunct programming languages currently being used.

:idea: Another example, why do we have to use buttons on ATEM switcher at all? They come from decades old, physical machines with buttons on them. But these days we can detect and show only the video layers with an active video signal, and let the user drag and drop them one on top of another. Again, easy to do on Electron app - you could have interface presets - all working within the boundaries of the existing SDK/API. Does copying physical interfaces follow the same disruptive spirit that enabled BMD to win against Sony and likes? I'd argue no. My ATEM buttons attest to that - I have two inputs that I want to stack one on top of another, yet I have to jump hoops and deal with eight buttons, 6 of which are doing nothing (because some are outputs actually). All BMD needs is a capable platform (like JS + Elector) and few UX geniuses.

:idea: Again another example. Currently "ATEM Software Control" doesn't have any keyboard mapping functionality (only number keys do switching and that's only when window is active). Ideally, any ATEM function on the UI should be freely assign-able to any keyboard combination - and most importantly - software should be able to pick up the key presses even when ATEM window is inactive. Again, easy to do with Electron app. On other hand, I don't even know how I should request such features from BMD, not to mention how long would it take them to produce, test and ship out separate versions for PC and Mac. But with Electron it's easy, you build only once.

In theory, we could even have the same "ATEM Software Control", coded in JS, served as an iOS/Android app, sharing 90% of the code with a desktop version. Again, not realistic with the current software model. Think about it - same responsive interface could contract to mobile size! Or iPad's.

:idea: One more example. I don't know about users out there, but I'm missing elementary features on "ATEM Software Control", like a stick-to-corner flying key. It's quite common to put the flying key in the corner, isn't it? I'd code it up myself and file a pull request if it was on GitHub. However, currently, I don't even know who to ask, not to mention to have a clear reassurance that it will be shipped some day. UI's should be infinitely configurable, flexible and new features should flow free and easy.

If you think about winners like Facebook, they gained so much from open-sourcing React upon which they're built. Now, in Blackmagic case, position is even better! Your software is for your proprietary hardware, no competitors can make use of it. Even if they did, the "risk" of intellectual property "leaking" to competition in the future would be compensated in heaps by publicity gained from building active user community and shaking up the arcane video software development world. Active open source community would out deliver the value to final customer, and mostly that would cost nothing for BMD.

Blackmagicdesign is a disruptor, its true edge comes from the ecosystem - I buy switcher AND camera from BMD because they work together. Sony doesn't make switchers, so even if its camera were better, it worked with BMD switcher worse than BMD camera would. You're like Apple - customer buys a laptop, but they get access to the iTunes and their iPhone syncs without a hassle with "Notes" app. Samsung phone can be cheaper but it won't deliver the ecosystem's value. So, even in an unlikely scenario that some competitor would match their hardware to make it work with open source BMD software, they would not be capable of delivering the whole ecosystem of products. Not to mention they would not be able to catch up with our continuous releases.

If somebody would argue about the hassle of having to recode everything in JS, I'd say Blackmagicdesign is capable of delivering new features to its software weekly, not biennially. BMD could disrupt the whole UI and UX of video production software world! The old UI's based on hardware machines can exist, but it's just a matter of time somebody (like me) will reinvent them, this time, properly, with modern technologies, from scratch. Same with old programming languages, silo-ed bug reports and feature requests piped via internal emails.

It's not a question should BMD switch user-facing apps to open source or not. It's a question does it want to be actively influencing and being in front of the community on GitHub, because one already exists and people are coding missing features, right now. For example, I'm consuming mainly node-applest-atem from GitHub on my projects and I made a CLI app that listens to ATEM macro-invoking key strokes even when window is inactive in few evenings.

To me, everything looks simple, but maybe that's because I'm looking from the outside. My own company is based on disruptive JavaScript development, on delivering extra value to my clients and out-coding any competitors. But I can code up so little compared to what a whole department of developers can do with a full support. Blackmagicdesign can and should do better software-wise.

Hopefully, my message will reach the ears of influencers at Blackmagicdesign.

In the meantime, I'll be further hacking on my JavaScript app to stop timeouts when I control ATEM via the the USB pedals. And when it's ready, I'll surely publish it on GitHub 8-) .

Ian Morrish

Re: How Blackmagicdesign could gain edge and disrupt the mar

PostSat Mar 24, 2018 10:52 am

Some feedback from my perspective,
There is an API that is very unconstrained and only lacking in one feature or 2 features (VISCA PTZ and Video Hub control - my perspective, others may pitch in with more). You can do everything with the API (and more) that the software control does. BMD can probably confirm, but I suspect it uses the API for this app.

The client application does what it is supposed to do, provide an alternative to hardware control panel.
No one runs applications on a computer desktop at 1280x720 for Windows or Mac, you don't broadcast the software control app so I don't se this as a valid complaint. (although I have built a touch ATEM UI for PiPo 8 pc using the API that works well on 800*600 to 1280x720 screens).

I would never want drag and drop to control switching for a live event, event touch screen is a bad idea when you are focused on the multi-view and cutting.

Electron apps are cool (VSCode is unbelievable fast, the benchmark Electron app in my opinion) but has not been around for very long, and there is bound to be something else new and better next year, BMD should change platform every couple of years to support latest fad? OK, this one may stick around for a while but they made a good investment when they started out with QT as a cross platform framework that has served them well. High DPI screens and scaling is the only current drawback I can see.

Anyway, back to the API, it would be great to see a Node.JS API implementation (rather than UDP hacking) which could be used by any Electon UI, but this would be a major undertaking, even for BMD.
Regards,
Ian Morrish
Video Integrated Scripting Environment
(Windows PowerShell with ATEM driver + more)
https://ianmorrish.wordpress.com

Xtreemtec

PostSat Mar 24, 2018 11:26 am

Roy Revelt wrote:Blackmagicdesign is a disruptor, its true edge comes from the ecosystem - I buy switcher AND camera from BMD because they work together. Sony doesn't make switchers,

Do a bit of homework before you start bashing.....
https://pro.sony/ue_US/products/video-switchers
https://pro.sony/ue_US/products/portable-live-production

Roy Revelt wrote:so even if its camera were better, it worked with BMD switcher worse than BMD camera would.
It works just fine.. Only it does not have the shading and tally functions. As Sony does not support this in there software.. BMD has opened up this protocol for all to work and develop with.. But so far not a lot of companies have picked this up.. While they simpely could in a software update.. (For monitors they would be able to embedded tally as a software update.. The SDI is already processed in a FPGA.. So getting some ANC data on the side wouldn't be a problem at all..

There are 3th party products on the market to get gear talking to eachother..

And about Sony and others in the market.. They don't even open up their protocols to the public.. So BMD has come a long way. ;)

If you need shading for a Sony camera.. You NEED to buy a RCP from sony. You NEED to buy a Sony control hub if you want to run Tally to the cameras.. Because the RCP's are not able to embedded tally in the protocol.. So talking about a complete Ecosystem.. If you want to go Sony route.. You are going into a world of closed off protocols and gear that only works on Sony.. Same about Hitachi, Panasonic and others...

Yes open source is nice.. But BMD is one of the most open source manufacturers i know.. They have a lot of protocols open and SDK's in place to develope your own software..
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Fred Rodrigues

PostMon Mar 26, 2018 12:41 pm

I also like the javascript/electron, but I think that the SDK is ok, of course opening the actual protocol would be better, but the reverse engineered stuff is running pretty well thanks to some peoples hard work, and easy enough to implement in javascript. For most broadcast applications c++ SDKs or open protocols are the way to go and this will probably stay so for some time. It gives pretty good cross platform support and easy integration.

One point I could really see as a plus would be a more integrated ecosystem. A broad SDK covering more products for integrating them more tightly. Anything with SDI out announces its connection via anc data and then we know its capabilities. Anything with an SDI input can read this data and react accordingly. Unified data structures for switching inputs and formats, starting and stopping recording etc. Your ATEM could know if a hyperdeck was plugged in, or if it was connected to a video hub and have further access to the video hub inputs, it could start and stop the SD card recorders, go live and off air with a broadcast etc.
http://www.fredrodrigues.net/

Xtreemtec

PostMon Mar 26, 2018 3:23 pm

Fred Rodrigues wrote: Anything with SDI out announces its connection via anc data and then we know its capabilities. Anything with an SDI input can read this data and react accordingly. Unified data structures for switching inputs and formats, starting and stopping recording etc. Your ATEM could know if a hyperdeck was plugged in, or if it was connected to a video hub and have further access to the video hub inputs, it could start and stop the SD card recorders, go live and off air with a broadcast etc.

Would be nice.. But don't forget you also need a SDI back to the Atem for this to work.. Because SDI is only 1 way trraffic. And what if you have 3 recorders behind your PGM output..
Network is the way to go here.. And BMD already done that integration. Using Telnet commands to control the Hyperdecks and get file names back.. It is already in the Atem. ;)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Scott Smith

PostFri Mar 30, 2018 2:43 pm

Some of these things you are asking for are essentially available in various forms. The Tricaster and Livestream Studio product lines are a good example - though they don't have the camera side of the equation. Blackmagic has been a disrupter in providing a product that bridges the gap between these products and the high end professional broadcast gear. They've made a definite niche in that gap, and disrupted through good pricing. I'd even say that their disruption has been quite significant in allowing low budget churches, schools, and smaller production houses to even consider entering the market of live production switching. They certainly could, if they choose, make an all-in-one combo box switcher package with features like LSStudio and Tricaster with the benefit of camera integration. But many people actually prefer separate units so that you don't have all your eggs in one basket at a single point of catastrophic and expensive failure.

But it seems the bulk of your comment was focused on open software, and they have been far better than most companies in this respect.

There are certainly features I'd like to see, but my list doesn't really line up too well with yours. Step one, media player upgrades.
Scott R Smith
BMD Stuff I use: ATEM 2-M/E, 4 x ATEM PS 4K, Broadcast Videohub, 6 Hyperdeck Pros, 4 Hyperdeck Shuttles, Multidock, Smartscope Duo, Smartview, Intensity Extreme, Decklink Studio, and lots of Miniconverters and Open Gear Converters.

niiotu

PostSun Apr 01, 2018 2:30 am

Hi I recently Purchased an UltraStudio mini recorder after installing the desktop video setup 10.9.11 the Device lights up but can't be recognised on my Mac ( High Sierra 10.13.3) any help please!!!

Return to Live Production