BlackMagic Bluetooth Arduino Library | Early look

Ask software engineering and SDK questions for developers working on Mac OS X, Windows or Linux.
  • Author

Csaba Nagy

BlackMagic Bluetooth Arduino Library | Early look

PostFri Nov 29, 2019 3:50 am

Since I’ve learned about the Bluetooth functionality of the Blackmagic Cameras earlier this year, I’ve sought to bring functional and interesting hardware/software implementations to these great cameras.

To help aid in the pursuit, I’ve been developing an easy-to-use Arduino library, to enable anyone to build their own Bluetooth controllers. From experienced programmers to newcomers, should be very flexible to use.

The library is still in development and will soon be available and I highly encourage people to extend/improve this library as they see fit when it becomes available. ( likely could use some under the hood improvements as It’s my first time developing C++ Library )

Here’s an early look at a really simple piece of demo code that can create a remote trigger with live timecode ( using a $15 development device ) and an example of an integration with a Samsung Gear VR Remote to control the camera. ( really cool possibilities with this as it has lots of buttons, a touchpad, gyroscope/accelerometer and is widely available and cost effective.)

Still working on adding an example or two, would love to hear what kind of examples you’d like to see included with the library and I’ll see If I can make those happen.

Csaba Nagy
Filmmaker
BMPCC4K

Brendan Dower

Blackmagic Design

Re: BlackMagic Bluetooth Arduino Library | Early look

PostSun Dec 01, 2019 11:30 pm

Excellent Job Csaba!
We always love to see examples of what developers create with our products!
Brendan Dower
Blackmagic Design Developer Support

Chris Maier

Re: BlackMagic Bluetooth Arduino Library | Early look

PostMon Dec 02, 2019 4:39 pm

Hi Csaba,

great job indeed!
I am wondering why everyone is adding additional hardware to their circuits (e.g. M5StickC, WifiKit 32 or anything based on the ESP32 chip) to control the BMPCC.
Samsung VR remote or Tilta Nucleous Nano in another case.

I managed (with a ton of help!) to successfully add a cheap potentiometer to the board to control the aperture via Bluetooth.
Unfortunately I was still to busy to write better code to "debounce" the reading of the potentiometer.
I will be a long cold winter...
(The original controlling code was not written by myself! I am not sure if the kind developer is part of this community.)

I am really looking forward to see your library!
It would bet great to change the aperture via a rotary encoder instead of a potentiometer.
This might be more reliable.

I have just received my M5StickC today...

Thank you,
Chris

Return to Software Developers