Is DeckLink 8K Pro able to independently capture from ports?

Ask software engineering and SDK questions for developers working on Mac OS X, Windows or Linux.
  • Author

giorgi3092

Is DeckLink 8K Pro able to independently capture from ports?

PostFri Aug 14, 2020 10:33 am

I have a DeckLink 8K Pro and want to capture video strea from 4 different cameras.

The question is fairly simple.

If I set the profile to "SDI X in/out" (half/duplex) where X is 1, 2, 3, 4 corresponding to 4 different ports present on the card, can I connect 4 SDI cables into each port so that an application or applications on my PC can capture from them simultaneously?

Thanks,
Giorgi Aptsiauri

Cameron Nichols

Blackmagic Design

Re: Is DeckLink 8K Pro able to independently capture from po

PostSun Aug 16, 2020 11:17 am

Hi Giorgi,

Yes, it is possible to capture 4 independent inputs (up to 4Kp60) with the DeckLink 8K Pro. To modify the operational behaviour of the DeckLink 8K Pro you need to change the profile for the device. You can read more about profiles in section 2.4.11 of the DeckLink SDK manual.

To capture from 4 inputs independently, you need to configure the DeckLink 8K Pro to the 4 sub-devices half-duplex profile. You can configure this with Desktop Video Setup application, under the connections tab for the first sub-device, select SDI 1 In or Out.

You can also change profile programmatically by following the steps described in section 2.4.11.3 of the DeckLink SDK manual, or by running the ActivateProfile SDK sample.

Regards
Cameron

giorgi3092

Re: Is DeckLink 8K Pro able to independently capture from po

PostWed Aug 19, 2020 1:05 pm

Cameron Nichols wrote:Hi Giorgi,

Yes, it is possible to capture 4 independent inputs (up to 4Kp60) with the DeckLink 8K Pro. To modify the operational behaviour of the DeckLink 8K Pro you need to change the profile for the device. You can read more about profiles in section 2.4.11 of the DeckLink SDK manual.

To capture from 4 inputs independently, you need to configure the DeckLink 8K Pro to the 4 sub-devices half-duplex profile. You can configure this with Desktop Video Setup application, under the connections tab for the first sub-device, select SDI 1 In or Out.

You can also change profile programmatically by following the steps described in section 2.4.11.3 of the DeckLink SDK manual, or by running the ActivateProfile SDK sample.

Regards
Cameron

Thank you, that did the trick.
Is it possible for two applications to read the stream simultaneously? Right now, when one application is accessing the stream, another process is unable to access it.

EDIT: I mean the stream from a single port.

Return to Software Developers