Dev question

Ask software engineering and SDK questions for developers working on Mac OS X, Windows or Linux.
  • Author

zipwax

Dev question

PostWed Sep 04, 2013 8:56 pm

I'm using the SDK for the UltraStudio SDI usb 3.0 box, and never mind all the bluescreen issues that make me question the capabilities of the driver writers of the world, I have a different question: The timestamps that come in on audio and video... they're "funky". When I start the SDK capturing frames, I'd like to know what the timestamps that come in on audio and video represent. I ASSUME that somehow the audio timestamps are related to video, but I don't know for certain that is the actual case. For example, when I start capturing in this one scenario, I get audio timestamps starting at 1907 milliseconds and going up, and I get a bunch of them (60 to be precise) before I get handed my first video sample, and ITS timestamp is 0!! So, can you put a dev at BlackMagic in contact w/ me so I can sort this out? I work for Microsoft and it's a pretty darned big project. Really immediate help would be great, I'm guessing it's probably a pretty simple question with a quick answer. Hopefully!

thanks.

Aaron Hightower

Re: Dev question

PostFri Sep 06, 2013 3:12 pm

I bought a USB 3 device and I returned it.

Instead of worrying about empty slots, I bought new MSI motherboard (The GD65 gaming motherboard) which has 5 available slots for PCIe cards after taking two slots for a video card.

This required me to spend a lot more money, but USB and troubles with USB are just not worth the potential you might save on hardware.

If you are not a pro and just fooling around and don't mind if you fail because the USB doesn't work as good as the PCI, then I would just keep fiddling and failing.

If you need to get it done, pretend the USB 3 model doesn't exist and it will make things easier.

Aaron Hightower

PostFri Sep 06, 2013 3:14 pm

Oh, and to clarify, I had to buy twice as many PCIe cards as I had originally planned to get Intensity devices because of the lack of portability. But again, not worth the potential savings as I just had to get it done. So I bought two more cards instead of leveraging portability.

It cost money, yes, but now I can get it done.

USB 3 will possibly get better, and possibly not. Who knows? But it is absolutely positively not the primary concern when all the pros are really using the cards on Windows machines and not the USB 3 solution, in general.

Adam Simmons

PostFri Sep 06, 2013 3:20 pm

If you need to talk to one of the BM devs then you need to call them, this is predominantly a user forum
DVC Built Clevo P775DM3-G Laptop with UHD screen, 7700K CPU@4.9Ghz, Geforce GTX 1060 6GB GPU, G-Sync UHD screen, 500GB M.2 Primary, 1x 480GB SSD, 1x1TB M.2, 1x 2TB Video drives.
Building Bespoke Video Editing systems for over 16 years

zipwax

PostFri Sep 06, 2013 4:19 pm

I'm surprised you mention "pros"... I thought these low-cost BM devices were more "pro-sumer" devices? The video I'm capturing that goes from DVI-extender into the UltraStudio SDI card isn't terribly high quality - the colors are washed out and text gets blurry and the chroma is a bit messed up.

:-)

Aaron Hightower

PostSat Sep 14, 2013 4:56 am

Pro meaning you are getting paid $40/hour or more to do work with this stuff versus hobby where your whole goal is to just fiddle around. I wasn't speaking about the quality of the equipment, just the value of one's time when doing this stuff.

Someone else said about the USB device that it was "great" and after dealing with a big nightmare of upgrades of USB drivers and other stuff, he was successfully recording his video game sessions.

So I guess, unless you are a pro who is paid to review video games, I would consider this a non-pro use.

Professionals don't always have to have the absolute most expensive solution. It's just that they are expected to get stuff done and move on to other stuff not spend a week install the right USB driver and deal with blue screens of death and so on.

I think someone took my criticism of the USB model in another thread to mean that I would not have been able to get it to work. Maybe I would, maybe I wouldn't, but I found that just getting a system that would allow me to capture from lots of cards at once without worrying about USB drivers was a better way to go.

CrowwGrow

PostThu Mar 25, 2021 1:53 pm

I know an alternative approach that described here https://postindustria.com/services/web-development/. Hope, it help you

Return to Software Developers