Ursa Mini LANC documentation

Ask software engineering and SDK questions for developers working on Mac OS X, Windows or Linux.
  • Author

Phil Rhodes

Ursa Mini LANC documentation

PostWed Dec 20, 2023 10:34 am

Hello;

The Ursa cameras often have LANC ports. Is there any public documentation on what's implemented?

A lot of different commands have been implemented in LANC over the decades it's existed and not all of them make sense for a camera. Quite often only a very few commands are implemented on non-Sony devices but it'd be good to get an idea of what's there.

The underlying requirement here is that I need to get a sync signal from an Ursa for a special project. IN principle, LANC is frame synchronised and could work here; I don't necessarily need any of the commands, just to detect when the 8-byte sequence starts, but any documentation is naturally helpful.

It's not really within the scope of the project to do all the FPGA development to derive sync from the HD-SDI, which would introduce an enormous amount of complexity, cost and power consumption. The other thought was the 3G-SDI Arduino board but I'm not sure if they'll do what I need or even if they're made anymore - this is not an Arduino project. Lots of people advertise them but trying to find someone who actually has one in stock is another matter.

- Phil

Phil Rhodes

Re: Ursa Mini LANC documentation

PostTue Dec 26, 2023 12:00 am

Well, I've discovered two things:

First, it's not frame synchronised. It's always updated at 25hz. This is unhelpful.

Second, it's at 3.3V on the original 4.6K, whereas the Pro G1 emits 5V LANC. This is also unhelpful.

:|

Return to Software Developers