Capturing and Processing Frames from Capture Card

Ask software engineering and SDK questions for developers working on Mac OS X, Windows or Linux.
  • Author

valentin_siebenkees

Capturing and Processing Frames from Capture Card

PostThu Mar 14, 2024 12:43 pm

Hello everyone,

I'm seeking some guidance and assistance with a project involving programmatically capturing and processing frames from a DeckLink Quad HDMI Recorder. I've already conducted initial tests using Python, OpenCV, and FFMPEG, but I'm not entirely satisfied due to various reasons, so I thought I might find some help here.

To elaborate on my issue:

I've connected the video signal to the capture card on my PC via a second PC and an HDMI splitter. For a test setup, I would like to display the stream in full resolution (1920x1080) raw on my PC with as little latency as possible.

Later on, I intend to modify two parameters: frame rate and image compression.

Initially, I considered using FFmpeg for this purpose. However, I'm currently experiencing some issues with a slight delay. When I view the stream through OBS or Blackmagic Media Express, I don't observe any latency. While I understand that OBS already involves encoding, the delay persists even when passing the same parameters to FFmpeg that are set in OBS.

My current best solution involves capturing frames using OpenCV. However, I find myself limited in terms of compression options with OpenCV, and frame processing is relatively slow. For example, with JPEG compression, frame processing becomes too slow at frame rates of around 20 fps.

Although my request might be somewhat specific, I'm hopeful to find some hints or initial approaches for the underlying problem of frame capturing and processing here.

I suspect that implementing this via the Desktop Video SDK might be the best approach, but I must admit that I don't have much experience with low-level programming and feel more comfortable with scripting languages.
(I can also share my Python code or FFmpeg commands I tested so far if that helps)

Thank you for your assistance :) ,
Valentin

Return to Software Developers