Capture from mini-recorder hangs

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

srstrong

Capture from mini-recorder hangs

PostTue May 06, 2014 11:34 am

Hi,

I have a decklink mini-recorder with ubuntu 12.04. The installation of the desktopvideo package went smoothly and the drivers have loaded correctly. I am initially testing using the "Capture" sample provided with the SDK - this works, but then hangs after a number of frames have been captured (10s to low 100s of frames, so only a few seconds at most). When it hangs, I can ctrl-c it and it exits normally, but to get another successful capture requires a reboot.

I have also tried with bmdcapture and in the gui with mediaexpress - all exhibit the same symptoms - after a fresh reboot, they capture / display a few seconds of video and then the capture hangs.

I have tested this with both 10.1 and 9.8, both have the same results. For completeness, my source is an Atomos H2S convertor; I get the same behaviour when using the Atomos SDI output or direct to the card's builtin HDMI input.

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Steve

srstrong

Re: Capture from mini-recorder hangs

PostTue May 06, 2014 4:46 pm

I have an update on this - I was testing on a Gigabyte GA-QA87TN motherboard. I have since switched the mini-recorder card to an ASRock Z87E-ITX motherboard and on there (with the exact same software), the card capture works perfectly (currently captured over 600k frames and still going).

Does anyone have any clues as to what might be amiss with the Gigabyte board and whether there may be any bios / kernel settings that we could tweak to enable correct operation of the card?

Cheers,

Steve

Kieran Kunhya

PostThu May 08, 2014 11:53 am

We've seen this exact issue before. Forcing the BIOS to use PCIe 2.0 instead of 3.0 solved it for us.

srstrong

PostFri Jun 27, 2014 10:10 pm

Ok, consider my stupid :) How do I force PICe 2.0 instead of 3.0 - I've been through seemingly every BIOS option, but not found that one. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated...

Return to Post Production