[Intensity Pro] Linux Dualmonitor and capture one of them

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

AMD1212

[Intensity Pro] Linux Dualmonitor and capture one of them

PostSat Nov 03, 2012 10:16 pm

Hello Blackmagic Team,

I've bought an Intensity Pro to capture one Screen of my Linux Workstation.

Here is my configuration in detail:
Graphic Card Nvidia GeForce 8800 GT with properitary Nvidia Driver (304.60) is connected with DFP-0 to an 20 Inces LG Flatscreen (should be used for handling the capture...i don't want to capture this 1600x1200 signal).
The second port on the Graphics card is connected to the HDMI IN of the Intensity Pro (via DVI to HDMI Cable) and the HDMI Output is connected to the Monitor (Acer X233H 1920x1080@60hz).

When i use this configuration my acer monitor never get's any signal. I tried with different settings...but in my opinion 1080i @ 60hz should be the right one...
Regarding the datasheet of the monitor he should be able to do HDCP and also should have no problem with bluray players or a playstation 3, so i don't understand why the signal of the Intensity Pro can't be handled (there is no message like "signal out of range" the monitor simply remains black).

Just for testing I've connected an Bravia TV which was working after changing the settings to 1080p 30. The only strange thing where in this case that there only was an signal on the TV when i had an Active Focus on the "Media Express" Software. Is it possible that the Media Express software has to be active (startet, with focus on it) for enabling the output signal on the Intensity Pro?

So long thing short...one question:
- How can i get an signal on my monitor (also when Media Express is not running...and best would be simply after the boot of the system...so i can work with both?.

Is this possible....would it help to buy an DVI Splitter and go from Graphics cart to this and split the signal to the monitor and the Intensity Pro?

Thanks for your answer.
best regards,
AMD1212

PS: i searched the manuals and did not find anything regarding my problem. Also if you need more information about my system, don't hesitate to ask.

barthanatos

Re: [Intensity Pro] Linux Dualmonitor and capture one of the

PostSun Nov 04, 2012 6:04 pm

It sounds like you acquired some unnecessary hardware for this task.

Could you not just use Kazam Screencaster (software, free)?
Christopher Ely

AMD1212

PostMon Nov 05, 2012 8:23 pm

I've tried Kazam, and also using gstreamer and ximagesrc directly but both variants have some limits...(accelerated graphics have some problems, windows displayed by wine or an emulator also somtimes).
I have done some test-records with kazam and saw a huge cpu load on my quadcore while recording and the resulting video was not running smooth at all.

So i wanted to do the whole capturing thing in the hardware and bought the Intensity Pro....and because i also can use it to capture my loved Nintendo 64 games (-;
I know the the Intensity Pro will also use my CPU a lot....but i don't think it will need so much power than kazam.

best,
AMD1212

AMD1212

PostMon Nov 19, 2012 6:18 pm

Can no one give me a hint?
Is the Intensity Pro not supposed to be used this way? :?:

I just want to capture my primary screen without the need of an second "capture pc".
Maybe someone can give me a hint if a new / other monitor would suffer, or it's just a config or design issue.

[edit] just upgraded my bios and found the setting to keep the preview window refreshed without having the Media Express window avtive or a capture running. But my Monitor still thinks its better to be black... [/edit]
Thanks
best,
AMD1212

AMD1212

PostWed Nov 28, 2012 9:24 pm

Finally got it working....
I've bought a new Monitor....

The new samsung monitor with HDMI connectors is flickering when getting only an interlaced signal, but he outputs a picture. I am ok with the flickering...but if there is a way to get a better picture please let me know.

Thanks
Stefan Schörghofer

Elliott Balsley

PostSun Dec 16, 2012 9:03 am

I don't have the answer you're looking for, but I do believe you should be using 1080p, not i. Computer monitors are always progressive.
Elliott C. Balsley
DIT, Colorist, Cinematographer
www.llamafilm.com

faten iad

PostTue Mar 04, 2014 6:11 pm

hellooo wrote:This is one information for you
Mergecap is a program that combines multiple saved capture files into a single output file specified by the -w argument. Mergecap knows how to read libpcap capture files, including those of tcpdump. In addition, Mergecap can read capture files from snoop (including Shomiti) and atmsnoop, LanAlyzer, Sniffer (compressed or uncompressed), Microsoft Network Monitor, AIX's iptrace, NetXray, Sniffer Pro, RADCOM's WAN/LAN analyzer, Lucent/Ascend router debug output, HP-UX's nettl, and the dump output from Toshiba's ISDN routers. There is no need to tell Mergecap what type of file you are reading; it will determine the file type by itself. Mergecap is also capable of reading any of these file formats if they are compressed using gzip. Mergecap recognizes this directly from the file; the '.gz' extension is not required for this purpose. :ugeek:

i think that Mergecap is a good program for reading the lipcap capture files

Return to Post Production