DVR software that works with decklink.

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

l.a.rossmann

DVR software that works with decklink.

PostFri Aug 15, 2014 3:18 pm

Hi,

It was suggested from these replies viewtopic.php?f=18&t=26074 that I post in the Linux section.

I would like to use a Decklink card to capture HDMI & SDI video into a linux computer. I would like to be able to record two channels simutaneously. Two SDI, one HDMI & one SDI, or two HDMI - it makes no difference to me, I will make the connections work. The only requirement is that both channels be recorded side by side, as if they were two microphones in a multitrack music recording studio. One of the streams will have audio, one will not.

What would be the best way to accomplish this task, and can I make use of blackmagic hardware to do it?

Thank you!
Louis Rossmann
Owner @ http://www.rossmanngroup.com
Ranter @ http://www.youtube.com/rossmanngroup

Reuben

Re: DVR software that works with decklink.

PostSat Aug 16, 2014 11:49 pm

You are generally limited by the hardware. Just because a card has multiple inputs and outputs doesn't mean you can use them at the same time. The key is how many sub-devices are present in the card, and the only two cards I'm aware of that feature multiple sub-devices are the Decklink Duo and Decklink Quad.

With multiple sub-devices you can use various tools available to capture multiple sources at once. (not sure if "side by side" means multiple sources composited into a single image frame, or if you mean two video streams muxed into the same file / transport stream)

You can also use two separate cards like in Decklink Mini Recorders in lieu of a multiple sub-device card since it is cheaper, but I don't think there are any guarantees about clock sync between the two cards in that type of scenario.

Return to Post Production