Most supported Linux distributions

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

samgardner

Most supported Linux distributions

PostSun Oct 05, 2014 4:12 pm

I'm hoping to discover which is the most stable and most supported Linux distribution in use for Blackmagic capture devices, with a particular focus on the Decklink SDI 4K.

I have been experiencing issues with capturing anything on these cards on Debian, and would like to hear from the community if they are experiencing the same issues, and if there is a solution, I urge you to share your findings so Blackmagic can provide better Linux support in the future.

To the Blackmagic developers, which distribution do you use in-house and which would you recommend?

I have tested across different devices and believe there is an issue with the desktopvideo drivers for Linux across different motherboards. I have been able to capture video on a Gigabyte GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3 board running Windows 8, but not on the Debian partition on the same disk. Would installing CentOS, Arch or anything else be of any use?

My limited access to hardware can't determine exactly what is going wrong here, so I'm hoping sharing our findings with the community can help find why our expensive cards are simply collecting dust.

samgardner

Re: Most supported Linux distributions

PostSat Oct 18, 2014 5:26 pm

I can report that I now have semi-successful capture under CentOS 6.5 under different hardware. This hopefully can narrow down the culprit being the motherboard for these issues, and not distribution-specific (an optimistic long-shot!).

Tony Rivera

Blackmagic Design

Re: Most supported Linux distributions

PostFri Oct 24, 2014 10:04 pm

Hello Sam,

There is a list of tested and basic requirements available on the support page under notes.
Support: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support
Info: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/company

Follow us on Instagram:
@blackmagicnewsofficial

Return to Post Production