File playback with bmdtools does not play audio

Ask software engineering and SDK questions for developers working on Mac OS X, Windows or Linux.
  • Author

Michel Bray

File playback with bmdtools does not play audio

PostFri Nov 07, 2014 5:13 pm

I'm currently using bmdtools to record and playback an recording over SDI (with a DeckLink Duo). The recording works perfectly fine however when I attempt to play the file back over SDI using bmdplay audio will only play for the first half a second and then go silent.

I know the file itself is not the issue since I can play the file correctly (with audio and video) in VLC.

I believe this issue may be related to the PTS however from what I can tell all the information being passed to "scheduleAudioSample" is accurate.

Here are the commands I used for recording and playing back the video (in Linux).

recording:
Code: Select all
./bmdcapture -C 1 -m 9 -A 2 -c 2 -V 4 -n 544 -F avi -f recording.avi

playback:
./bmdplay -C 1 -m 9 -b3000 -O 4 -f recording.avi

If anyone would have any insight as to why I am not getting any audio out it would be appreciated.

--thanks

Michel Bray

Re: File playback with bmdtools does not play audio

PostFri Nov 14, 2014 10:09 pm

Between myself and a co-worker we got this issue solved. The audio packets weren't being buffered fast enough therefore audio PTS buffered was always in the past and therefore would not play.

The initial audio blip at the start of playback was the result of the pre-rolled audio samples being delivered, following that all audio packets were buffered too late.

chasapis.christos

Re: File playback with bmdtools does not play audio

PostFri Nov 28, 2014 3:32 pm

BMD tools support only 48000 as input so you have to re-sample the audio data as 16bit Interleaved.
Something like that :

avconv -vsync 1 -i source_file_name -c:v rawvideo -pix_fmt uyvy422 -c:a pcm_s16le -ar 48000 -f nut  - | ./bmdplay -f pipe:0

Feel free to contact me
www.chasapis.com

Return to Software Developers