Application no longer works with new driver

Ask software engineering and SDK questions for developers working on Mac OS X, Windows or Linux.
  • Author

Peter Vitray

Application no longer works with new driver

PostFri Feb 27, 2015 11:28 am

Hi,

I have just upgraded my driver from 10.2.2 to 10.3.7 and my application that worked with the former crashes with the latter.
I thought that I needed an SDK update and I downloaded SDK version 10.3.1 which looks to be the latest.
So far, I have been including DecklinkAPI_h.h and DecklinkAPI_i.c to compile the application and these are now missing from the latest SDK. I guess there are some changes that are not compatible with older versions.
What should I replace my source files with and if I compile a new version with the new SDK that works with the new driver, can I expect any problems with other users of my application who have older Blackmagic drivers?

Peter Vitray
Nautilus Studio

Peter Vitray

Re: Application no longer works with new driver

PostSat Feb 28, 2015 10:15 am

This is a little more strange than I thought. It might not be the API version.
The fast memcopy (in MMX) that I have been using for years to copy the image buffer to the decklink video frame now crashes.
After I replaced it with a 'stock' memcpy it worked fine.
How strange is that???

Matt Jefferson

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Mar 02, 2015 1:46 am

Peter -

There have been updates to the default memory allocator. We have been working to optimize the memory required by devices (Blackmagic Decklink, Ultrastudio or Intensity) so it makes the most effective use of memory. The goal is to ensure that the correct amount of memory is used for the format and signal that is being processed by the device.

The driver 10.3.7 was released to support the new Intensity Pro 4K and another new special board. If you are seeing issues with all cards or specific models or replication steps to your problem, please use the developer support email that you have used in past.

Matt Jefferson

Peter Vitray

PostTue Mar 24, 2015 7:52 am

I found the problem.
I copy my buffer to the Decklink card using assembly/MMX code to make it optimized for speed.
It seems that with driver 10.3.7, I have to preserve the value of some registers in my code, otherwise the application crashes. This wasn't the case previously.

Return to Software Developers