HyperdeckStudio Ethernet Protocol wrong?

Ask software engineering and SDK questions for developers working on Mac OS X, Windows or Linux.
  • Author

Paul Schneider

HyperdeckStudio Ethernet Protocol wrong?

PostThu Mar 19, 2015 5:49 pm

Hi there,

I'm developing a remote control for the Hyperdeck Studio, and I've come across a strange issue..

The Manual states
To move forward/back {count} clips from the current clip on the current timeline:
goto: clip id: +/-{count}↵

so the command to skip 1 clip would be 'goto: clip id: +1\n'

but actually, the hyperdeck answers 102 invalid value...
same with -1

I've tried a lot of combinations, but it seems either I or the protocol/hyperdeck are wrong here.

Everything I've tried doesn't work.

Is this a known issue? Am I doing it wrong?

Regards,
Paul

Sarah Jones

Blackmagic Design

Re: HyperdeckStudio Ethernet Protocol wrong?

PostFri Mar 20, 2015 1:28 am

Hi Paul,

Are you able to do a 'clips get' to confirm you've landed on a valid clip id? Are you also able to confirm you have selected the desired SSD slot?

If you have valid clips, you should be able to do something like:

goto: clip id: 1\n
goto: clip id: +1\n

That will go to clip 1, then advance 1 clip.

Alternatively, the same commands could work in a Telnet session in Terminal and if successful would look like:

goto: clip id: 1
200 ok
goto: clip id: +1
200 ok

Perhaps the app you're using to script this is like Terminal and doesn't need the \n to do a return? Just hypothesizing here. I'd certainly first verify you are selecting the correct SSD and are choosing a valid clip id.
Sarah Jones

Blackmagic Design

Paul Schneider

Re: HyperdeckStudio Ethernet Protocol wrong?

PostSun Mar 22, 2015 8:19 pm

Hey there Sarah!

Thanks for your reply!

I do get responses on 'clips get', and i'm building a playlist with it (btw i'd think it would also be worth noting in the manual that 208 responses are split into multiple parts after 6 (or something?) lines... took me a while to figure that out)

i'm able to jump to every clip with 'goto: clip id: x', i can play/ffwd/stop etc. everything is accepted by the hyperdeck and represented in the transport info (for example the timecode, clip id and slot id show me that it's doing just what i want it to)

everything but +1.....

i've found out the hard way that the app's socket definitely DOES need the \n... i've been going almost crazy because i didn't pay attention to the little arrow in the manual... i just sent the commands there for days and never got an answer :D

here's my proxy (control server) console output:
Code: Select all
[INFO] sending 'goto: clip id: 1' ...
[INFO] finished
[INFO] Hyperdeck says:

200 ok

[INFO] sending 'play: loop: true speed: 100' ...
[INFO] finished
[INFO] Hyperdeck says:

200 ok

[INFO] sending 'goto: clip id: +1' ...
[INFO] finished
[INFO] Hyperdeck says:

102 invalid value

(\n's are not printed to console, but automatically added while sending)

this seems really strange to me...
could it be possible that the command was changed between certain versions, and i just happen to have the wrong manual?
or... do you have any other ideas how i could fix this one?

thank you very much :)
Paul

PS:

another thing i've run into..
is there a way to show the timecode of the current clip? like.. starting from 0 for every clip?
the hyperdeck seems to always count the timecode relative to the complete timeline (timecode as well as display timecode).. it would be really nice to have the timecode of each individual clip starting at 00:00.. am i missing something?

Return to Software Developers