Firmware older than version shipped with driver BlackmagicIO

Ask software engineering and SDK questions for developers working on Mac OS X, Windows or Linux.
  • Author

AndrewCrawford

Firmware older than version shipped with driver BlackmagicIO

PostFri Mar 20, 2015 7:46 pm

Hi I recently purchased and installed another DeckLink Mini Recorder ( my 8th ). After installation on Ubuntu 14.04.2 the [code]$ BlackmagicFirmwareUpdater status[/code] asked me to update the firmware on card 1 ( card 0 is a mini monitor, no update needed ). 1 is the DeckLink Mini Recorder.

I obliged by issuing [code]$ BlackmagicFirmwareUpdater update 1[/code] and it completed successfully, reminding me to reboot my computer to load the new firmware.

after reboot, I found a
[code]kernel: [ 7087.358460] BlackmagicIO: WARNING: The device "DeckLink Mini Recorder" has firmware that is older than the version shipped with the driver (device: 0x11 driver: 0x45)[/code] in my /var/log/messages and the card is not available ( For the seemingly obvious reason that the firmware is incompatible with the driver I installed just prior to updating the cards firmware ?! ). Since the card is no longer visible to the BlackmagicFirmwareUpdater utility, I'm not sure what options I have to make it work again.

Do I need to downgrade the driver, update the firmware, update the driver and then ignore the request to update the firmware? was the wrong firmware installed by the BlackmagicFirmwareUpdater utility or is the card in an unclear firmware state?

Using a successful installation of desktopvideo_10.3.7a4_amd64.deb
Andrew Crawford
CCTV Center for Media and Democracy
294 N. Winooski Ave.
Burlington VT 05401

alex canizalez

Re: Firmware older than version shipped with driver Blackmag

PostThu Jun 25, 2015 10:54 pm

I spend my same with ultra mini studio recorder could help me with that.

Matt Jefferson

Blackmagic Design

Re: Firmware older than version shipped with driver Blackmag

PostFri Jun 26, 2015 11:29 pm

For the Ultrastudio Mini recorder, uninstall earlier driver using uninstall command for Mac OS X desktop driver. Install 10.4.1 and follow all instructions. If you don't understand contact regional support using our website form on the support page. Once you reboot your system then connect the Ultrastudio via Thunderbolt and it will request a firmware update, select this and confirm which install a firmware update if needed.

If your device is no longer visible in the thunderbolt devices list, contact regional technical support via email or phone as you will need specific assistance to get the external thunderbolt device to work again.

Return to Software Developers