Upgraded to 10.3.7, sample Capture program stopped working

Ask software engineering and SDK questions for developers working on Mac OS X, Windows or Linux.
  • Author

Brad Parker

Upgraded to 10.3.7, sample Capture program stopped working

PostTue Mar 24, 2015 7:02 pm

I'm using Ubuntu 14.04 64-bit. I recently upgraded from a DeckLink HD Extreme+ card (using 10.1 drivers) to a DeckLink 4K Extreme card with 10.3.7 drivers and 0x60 firmware. I'm trying to run the sample Capture program included with the 10.3.1 SDK, but it just hangs:

$ ./Capture -d 0 -m 11 -v test.video -n 20
Capturing with the following configuration:
- Capture device: DeckLink 4K Extreme
- Video mode: HD 1080p 59.94
- Pixel format: 8 bit YUV (4:2:2)
- Audio channels: 2
- Audio sample depth: 16 bit

Nothing else is ever output, whether there is a source connected or not, and if I hit ctrl-c, the output file is empty.

I have tried every mode and pixel format, both SDI and HDMI, and tried rebooting both the PC and source, and tried different combinations of plugging/replugging things at different times (as I saw another thread about a new EDID bug), but neither our own applications nor the sample Capture program work anymore after upgrading.

Any idea what's going on?

Brad Parker

Re: Upgraded to 10.3.7, sample Capture program stopped worki

PostWed Mar 25, 2015 3:16 pm

Just an update for anyone that is having the same problem. I received word from Blackmagic that this is a known issue with 4K cards and the next version that comes out should fix the issue.

Jugoslav Stojanov

PostThu Mar 26, 2015 7:04 am

8bit mode does not work in Linux. I guess its a driver bug, because it works in windows. Even MediaExpress shows colorful noise in 8bit mode.

Brad Parker

PostThu Mar 26, 2015 3:51 pm

@yooyo3d I was also told that the 4K cards do not work the same anymore with regard to the pixel format/colorspace. For example if you set 8-bit YUV, the driver will ONLY output frames if the source negotiated a YUV format, it will not do any automatic conversions anymore, which means you must now have advance knowledge of the source color space to even capture video at all... unless you implement the automatic format detection feature in your software.

Jugoslav Stojanov

PostFri Mar 27, 2015 5:09 am

Ok, but why it works in Windows but not in Linux?
My test rig have hdmi to sdi 4k converter and 4k capture card. I really don't want to know source bit depth. I just want to setup capture card to closest pixel format I need.
Right now, I dropped 8bit mode, so my capture app use 10bit mode and do 10 to 8 bit conversion on cpu.
What will happens if source is 8bit?

Return to Software Developers