Micro Cinema Camera Automation w Linux (CinemaDNG, transfer)

Ask software engineering and SDK questions for developers working on Mac OS X, Windows or Linux.
  • Author

Leonard Lin

Micro Cinema Camera Automation w Linux (CinemaDNG, transfer)

PostTue Apr 14, 2015 1:20 am

Looking at the new Micro Cinema Cameras and the remote control options looks great.

We would love to be able to use these for automated solutions for special events/installs (for video and still output) but I had two questions.

We're entirely Linux based (mostly Ubuntu LTS on x64 and ARM).

Is there any scriptable CinemaDNG export tool? I couldn't find anything w/ a quick Google search. It's OK to output to audio+some sort of ffmpeg digestible frames or if there's a Python lib or something... We also use a lot of ImageMagick and OpenCV.

Also, it looks like there's lots of tethering support for remote control, but nothing in the expansion docs on file transfer or how the USB works. We are typically using gphoto2 to interact w/ our DSLR still cameras and mostly GigE/IP-based protocols for our video cameras. We've found all the various wireless solutions to be less than production-stable, so figuring out if USB can be used to pull footage would be great.

If there's a more appropriate channel for finding out about this stuff, feel free to point me in the right direction!

Return to Software Developers