Ultrastudio 4k - Two separated sdi streams.

Ask software engineering and SDK questions for developers working on Mac OS X, Windows or Linux.
  • Author

Radek Grabinski

Ultrastudio 4k - Two separated sdi streams.

PostMon May 18, 2015 4:41 pm

Hi, I have two questions:
- is it possible to output two separate (1080i or PAL) streams via sdi on Ultrastudio 4k?
- Is it possible to set up U4k device to output separated key and fill streams on sdi outputs 1 and 2 ? (for exaple key on sdi out 2 and fill on sdi out 1);

Regards, Lar.

Bruce Payan

Re: Ultrastudio 4k - Two separated sdi streams.

PostTue May 19, 2015 11:06 pm

Yes and yes. The Ultrastudio 4K is perfect for these purposes.

You can use internal or external keying as well.

Radek Grabinski

PostFri Jun 12, 2015 11:11 am

Thank you for the reply, but how to enable second SDI for output? (not for keying - I need to output two separated SDI signals with a different content).

QueryInterface on the 2nd device won't work in this case. (It's working on decklink duo or quad).

best, Radek

Matt Jefferson

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Jun 12, 2015 6:50 pm

Radek -
The Ultrastudio 4K is a single device that has dual stream SDI support. That means 3 things -

First is support of 3D Stereoscopic over SDI so you can use two cameras for left / right or monitors that support two SDI for creating 3D on display. Second, dual link when you need two cables to support dual link SDI format for high frame or colorspace requirements. Third, it supports Fill and key out as mentioned in above post.

Ultrastudio 4K is not a two channel independent output like the DUO and Quad (4 channel output). You cannot use the device for two separate different SDI channel/signals output with different content.
You could add a second Thunderbolt device (ultrastudio 4k or other Ultrastudio BMD devices) for output using the daisy chain feature of the two ports. Not sure which software but you could also run two different software which is one device each on different application.

Thank you.
Matt

Bruce Payan

PostTue Jun 16, 2015 4:40 am

I stand corrected!

Allow me to understand the FILL/KEY option then...

Do I send the US-4K device a single RGBA32 stream, and it will automatically separate the RGB channel (with A=opaque) for each pixel on the FILL channel, and the KEY channel would have RGB pixels values being equal to AAA of the source image (with output A=opaque).

Am I reading that right?

Matt Jefferson

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Jun 23, 2015 4:49 am

Bruce -
Yes you can p send fill and key to an external keyer (external keying) at HD and UHD in accelerated way with Ultrastudio 4K, Decklink 4K Extreme, and Decklink4K Extreme 12G . Others can do some internal keying only so see the keyer table on page 151. Fill is on A and key is B output connectors. Also there is a sample in the folders which might help in the sample folder of SDK download called GdiKeyer

See page 34 of manual for Keying overview which says you can use these formats for example. bmdFormat8BitARGB or bmdFormat8BitBGRA

thanks for your continued interest.

IsseSwe

PostSun Oct 06, 2019 7:49 pm

I just don't get this and it is really taking the best of me.

I have tried everything and I just can not get this to work. I have the ultrastudio 4k and I want to fill & key with it but I simply just kan not make it work.

I have read everything in this forum and still just simply can not get it to work... I have tried everything and several software and nothing. I get fill on both SDI inputs no matter what :-(

Matt reading your comment, refering to keyer table on page 151 - in what manual? Where is this information?

The ultrastudio 4k have not a word of keying mentioned in the manual, and there is no information at all anywhere regarding this. I'm so dissapointed in BM gear at this moment and even more in BM manuals lacking a whole feature of a unit in the manual.

The setup is an ultrastudio 4k connected to a television studio pro 4k. And I would like to use the tsp4k key feature with the ultrastudio 4k
1 x ATEM Constallation 2ME | 2 x Hyperdeck Mini HD | 1 x Multidock 10G | 1 x Video Hub 40 | 1 x Multiview 16 | 1 x Web Presenter HD | 3 x Ursa Broadcast

Brendan Dower

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Oct 10, 2019 6:12 am

IsseSwe -

The information is all included in the Decklink SDK which is available on the Blackmagic Design Website, under the developer page.

The UltraStudio 4K uses all the same documentation as the DeckLink cards, which is why you may have been confused as to where to find it.

The Manual for the SDK is available for download on that page, and it's also included in the SDK. Also included in the SDK is an example program called DeckLinkKeyer with sample source code provided.

Let me know how you go.
Brendan Dower
Blackmagic Design Developer Support

IsseSwe

PostThu Oct 10, 2019 7:44 pm

Brendan Dower wrote:IsseSwe -

The information is all included in the Decklink SDK which is available on the Blackmagic Design Website, under the developer page.

The UltraStudio 4K uses all the same documentation as the DeckLink cards, which is why you may have been confused as to where to find it.

The Manual for the SDK is available for download on that page, and it's also included in the SDK. Also included in the SDK is an example program called DeckLinkKeyer with sample source code provided.

Let me know how you go.

Thanks a bunch Brendan! Yeah this has been confusing, big ups for your answer clearing things up :-)
1 x ATEM Constallation 2ME | 2 x Hyperdeck Mini HD | 1 x Multidock 10G | 1 x Video Hub 40 | 1 x Multiview 16 | 1 x Web Presenter HD | 3 x Ursa Broadcast

Brendan Dower

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Oct 10, 2019 11:58 pm

No worries at all. Happy to help IsseSwe!
Brendan Dower
Blackmagic Design Developer Support

Return to Software Developers