LabVIEW and H.264 Pro Recorder

Ask software engineering and SDK questions for developers working on Mac OS X, Windows or Linux.
  • Author

Pedro De La Torre

LabVIEW and H.264 Pro Recorder

PostWed Jun 03, 2015 9:00 am

Hei:

I would like to design software to capture video with National Instruments (NI) LabVIEW. The Measurement and Automation Explorer (MAX) identifies the H.264 Pro Recorder connected via USB as "Decklink Video Capture, cam1". However, I can not access the video from it. Instead I receive Error 0x8007000E, an undetermined error code. I get the same error if I try to implement a simple IMAQ image capture virtual instrument (vi) in LabVIEW. I can successfully record video with Blackmagic Media Express. Does anybody have any experience sourcing video from a Pro Recorder to LabVIEW?
Thank you

Matt Jefferson

Blackmagic Design

Re: LabVIEW and H.264 Pro Recorder

PostWed Jun 03, 2015 4:48 pm

Pedro -

The H264 Pro Recorder is supported by our SDK via a special section that enabled it to use the USB2 as a capture device purely for encoding. It functions as special device in our capture and playback product family. It is supported by our software and other developers solutions when they use the special SDK to support it in their software. You would need to check with Labview developers if they used our SDK programming tools to enable the hardware from Blackmagic Design in their software.

If they are expecting a generic WDM (windows device) video capture than you would need to use one of our Intensity or Decklink via PCIE computer slot or Thunderbolt Ultrastudio etc device to capture the uncompressed video. What they means is that it would require more resources on the computer side for cpu, bandwidth/storage as it will not be a compressed H264 output from the Decklink, Intensity or Ultrastudio.

Matt Jefferson

Return to Software Developers