HANC data capture?

Ask software engineering and SDK questions for developers working on Mac OS X, Windows or Linux.
  • Author

Ray Lau

HANC data capture?

PostSat Jun 06, 2015 2:55 pm

Is there any way to capture HANC data via the SDK? I couldn't find any....

QuentinBrown

Re: HANC data capture?

PostMon Jun 08, 2015 5:54 pm

I have been looking for exactly the same thing.
I know the official line as of a couple of years ago when I asked at a Blackmagic Design booth at the BVE show in London was that it wasn't supported and they had no plans for it, but I was hoping maybe to find something in the SDK, even if it was a raw SDI feed so you could extract it yourself.

I would love to know if that is possible. If not then can we have it as a feature request? Many cameras put out a lot of useful data for playback ops or live capture within the HANC metadata, like camera clip name, Scene & take info, exposure, white balance etc. If we had access to this then BMD capture hardware could be used in a lot more scenarios like in QTake etc.

Ekin Yildirim

PostTue Jun 09, 2015 4:56 pm

Is there anyone from Blackmagic Design company who is watching this forum's questions. I see this question for 4-5 years in Developer mail list and in this forum but no one give a simple answer.

Can we get HANC or VANC data from camera (like Alexa, Red etc.) with any Blackmagic capture card or NOT?

If YES, please give a very very basic example, not much.

Matt Jefferson

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Jun 10, 2015 1:30 am

Blackmagic Design does not provide support to capture embedded data in the Horizontal (hanc). The desktop (Decklink, Ultrastudio, Intensity products) SDK does not allow access camera data as requested in the forum post.

There is no sample as we do not provide any access to HANC where most camera data is stored. We do provide VANC access and there are samples and functions are documented in the SDK manual.

Matt Jefferson

QuentinBrown

PostWed Apr 20, 2016 2:30 pm

So, almost another year on and I'm considering upgrading my capture cards. HANC, even if not available now but planned for the future would be a significant deciding factor.

I understand it is not currently supported as the Desktop SDK does not support it currently, but is this simply a feature you haven't seen as worth introducing in the SDK and might consider adding in the future or is it somehow a hardware limitation?

Some kind of position with regards to the future on this from black magic would be appreciated. Currently there just aren't many options out there when it comes to boards that can capture 4 or more HDSDI signals so those of us who need that but also need HANC are left frustrated and floundering.

QuentinBrown

PostWed Apr 20, 2016 3:06 pm

Just some kind of acknowledgement that Blackmagic is listening - even if it's just to say we have added this to a list of feature requests, and maybe, hope beyond hope, even an indication of the level of priority it might currently have.

Or tell us a flat no. And we can put our hopes and dreams away and go look elsewhere for the solutions we need.

Matt Jefferson

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Apr 28, 2016 4:49 am

Quentin -

yes it has been just over 10 months since last correspondence on HANC. We are in the same status as June 2015 with support of HANC. To confirm, we have no current support and no plans to support HANC access nor a framework that developers and users can access HANC.

Since the last post, we have updated our multichannel cards Quad 2 announced Sept 2015 and DUO 2 announced April 2016. Are you looking to use HANC meta data with a specific application or for camera SDI start /stop control on multiple channels of capture(input)?

Or are you looking for something else in HANC? Please state your OS and specific use case so it can be translated into a feature request.

As you know being part of the forum, we do not discuss or even hint as you request on future support but we are listening to specific ancillary data requests regarding future SDK support.

rogergodspeed

PostSun Mar 25, 2018 11:12 pm

Hello,

I am also quite interested in accessing the horizontal ancillary data. In my case I want to access the clip name coming from a RED camera. It is outlined on their developer page. I would post the relevant URL but this forum will not allow me to do so.

As the other posters have mentioned I would settle for access to the raw SDI data if possible to author my own handler. Please update this thread on the most recent plans for HANC support as it does impact purchasing decisions.

Thanks

Return to Software Developers