Double latency on live stream through avconv, bmdplay

Ask software engineering and SDK questions for developers working on Mac OS X, Windows or Linux.
  • Author

glennolsen

Double latency on live stream through avconv, bmdplay

PostWed Jun 24, 2015 10:16 pm

Having some struggles with live streaming latency. I am using as bare bones a setup as I can.

Teradek Cube 205->h.264 720p@30fps 2Mbps.->Brand new Dell i5 running Ubuntu 14.04 LTS->Nginx with RTMP module->avconv->bmdplay->Decklink Quad SDI

It seems that each of avconv and bmdplay introduce ~5-6 secs of latency into the stream.

avconv -re -vsync 1 -i rtmp://localhost:1935/AV2015Local/stream1 -f nut -f_strict experimental -syncpoints none -c:v copy -c:a pcm_s16le - | /home/vidcontrol/Builds/'Blackmagic DeckLink SDK 10.4.1'/Linux/Samples/bmdtools-master/bmdplay -m 10 -C 0 -f pipe:0

This results in 12-13 seconds of delay and using VLC (which may be using FFmpeg, which may be libav under the covers?) I can see 5-6 seconds of delay.

Looking for guidance or debug advice. Need to do a live stream that is also replicated to Jumbotron's at the event. High latency on the live stream offsite, no problem, on the local Jumbotron, BIG problem.

Thanks...

Glenn

Return to Software Developers