HDR Metadata output on Decklink 4K Extreme 12G HDMI

Ask software engineering and SDK questions for developers working on Mac OS X, Windows or Linux.
  • Author

Siu-Wai Wu

HDR Metadata output on Decklink 4K Extreme 12G HDMI

PostTue Aug 23, 2016 2:14 am

Hi,

Can anyone tell me if I can output HDR Metadata (HDR10) on Decklink 4K Extreme 12G HDMI output using Decklink SDK 10.7 (latest)?
In the SDK documentation, I found the interface IDeckLinkVideoFrameMetadataExtensions, but it only has Get methods to query the metadata. I cannot find any "Set" method to set the metadata.
How do I set the HDR metadata to output on HDMI2.0 ?

Thanks,
Siu-Wai Wu

Matt Jefferson

Blackmagic Design

Re: HDR Metadata output on Decklink 4K Extreme 12G HDMI

PostMon Aug 29, 2016 10:01 pm

Here is our normal developer support response to HDR output questions using above board.

In order to output HDR metadata, the application will have to implement the IDeckLinkVideoFrame, and additionally IDeckLinkVideoFrameMetadataExtensions interfaces, in a similar way as 3D support requires an application to implement IDeckLinkVideoFrame3DExtensions.

This video frame class which implements the IDeckLinkVideoFrameMetadataExtensions interface may implement additional methods to set the HDR metadata fields as needed.

When scheduling instances of the custom IDeckLinkVideoFrame for playback, the DeckLinkAPI will query the IDeckLinkVideoFrame implementation (via QueryInterface) to determine if it supports the IDeckLinkVideoFrameMetadataExtensions interface, and if QueryInterface is successful (and IDeckLinkVideoFrame::GetFlags reports bmdFrameContainsHDRMetadata), IDeckLinkVideoFrameMetadataExtensions::Get* will be called by the DeckLinkAPI to retrieve the HDR metadata from the IDeckLinkVideoFrame implementation.

TimLegrand

PostTue Jun 13, 2017 3:09 pm

+1
The documentation seems to deal with getting metadata from video frame objects, not with how to set them.
Please provide an example of output video frame creation with HDR metadata.

Nicholas Gill

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Jul 12, 2017 3:44 am

Hi Tim,

As detailed in the response from Matt, an application wanting to generate HDR metadata must implement the required interfaces, IDeckLinkVideoFrame for the general video frame interface, and IDeckLinkVideoFrameMetadataExtensions for the interface which allows the DeckLink API to read HDR metadata from the frame.

This type implemented by the application may provide any interface it desires to the rest of the application to set the HDR metadata, e.g. it could implement a complementary SetInt method, or a struct which encapsulates all the available metadata items, return hard-coded values, etc.

Hope that helps clarify,

-nick

Return to Software Developers