Color Precision of DeckLink Duo 2 card

Ask software engineering and SDK questions for developers working on Mac OS X, Windows or Linux.
  • Author

PritamShete

Color Precision of DeckLink Duo 2 card

PostWed Nov 23, 2016 6:17 am

Hi ALL

I want to use DeckLink 4K Pro or DeckLink Duo 2 or DeckLink Quad 2 card for capturing from multiple SDI cameras. I will be using NVIDIA graphics card with GPUDirect for Video technology for capturing.

I have found SDK from BlackMagic for it. But I am having following queries.

1) What is color precision for DeckLink Duo 2 or DeckLink 4K Pro or DeckLink Quad 2 card?
- Specification says it is 12 bit RGB 4:4:4.
- Is it same as that of 24 bit RGB with Red-Blue-Green each having 8 bits.
OR
- I am getting just 4 bits each for Red-Blue-Green ?

2) DeckLink 4K Pro can capture simultaneously from two SDI cameras, but whether DeckLink Duo 2 can capture from 4 SDI cameras simultaneously?

Thanks & Regards
Pritam Prakash Shete

Waqqas Sharif

Blackmagic Design

Re: Color Precision of DeckLink Duo 2 card

PostThu Dec 29, 2016 10:41 pm

Hi Pritam,

See my responses below.
1) What is color precision for DeckLink Duo 2 or DeckLink 4K Pro or DeckLink Quad 2 card?
- Specification says it is 12 bit RGB 4:4:4.
- Is it same as that of 24 bit RGB with Red-Blue-Green each having 8 bits.
OR
- I am getting just 4 bits each for Red-Blue-Green ?

I can confirm that 12 bit RGB 4:4:4 is 12 bit per component.

Please see SDK Manual section "2.7.4 Pixel Formats" for a description of the available pixel formats.
2) DeckLink 4K Pro can capture simultaneously from two SDI cameras, but whether DeckLink Duo 2 can capture from 4 SDI cameras simultaneously?

Just to clarify that DeckLink 4K Pro device can only capture from a single source in (single / dual link / 3D stereoscopic mode) and it cannot capture from two independent sources.

Certainly, DeckLink Duo 2 can capture from 4 SDI cameras simultaneously.

Please see SDK manual chapter "2.4.1 Capture" for a high-level overview of the steps required to perform a capture operation.

Your application need to perform all the steps outlined in the SDK manual chapter "2.4.1 Capture" for each SDI interface (SDI 1-4).

In order to use the DeckLink Duo 2 as 4 independent channels, the Connector mapping for the first and second sub-devices needs to be changed from e.g. "SDI 1 & SDI 2" (Full-duplex) to "SDI 1" (Half-duplex).

This configuration can be modified in the Desktop Video Utility, on the 'Video' tab, in the 'Connector Mapping' section.

This same configuration can be performed directly using the DeckLink API, please see SDK Manual section "2.4.11 Configurable duplex mode" for a high-level overview of the duplex mode configuration and connector mapping for the Duo 2 (and Quad 2), and section "2.4.11.1 Configuring duplex mode" for the steps to set the duplex mode for individual sub-devices.

Regards
Waqqas

Return to Software Developers