GetHardwareReferenceClock and IDeckLinkOutput's

Ask software engineering and SDK questions for developers working on Mac OS X, Windows or Linux.
  • Author

Tomas Pihl

GetHardwareReferenceClock and IDeckLinkOutput's

PostMon Jan 09, 2017 2:30 pm

I have a question about the GetHardwareReferenceClock method. From the SDK documentation, one can read:
The GetHardwareReferenceClock method returns a clock that is locked to the rate at which the DeckLink hardware is outputting frames
and my question is if all out-ports are using the *same* clock generator or if the individual IDeckLinkOutput's are using separate clocks (oscillators?) meaning this method will give something back which will "drift apart" eventually if I constantly are calling it using two different IDeckLinkOutputs (that has been configured with the same display mode, i.e. 720p50).

Thanks!
Tomas

Waqqas Sharif

Blackmagic Design

Re: GetHardwareReferenceClock and IDeckLinkOutput's

PostThu Jan 12, 2017 4:42 am

Hello Tomas,

I must confirm that the individual IDeckLinkOutput's use a separate clock to time the output of video frames.

This also applies even when individual IDeckLinkOutput's are outputting the same display mode (720p50 etc).

The only way to guarantee the synchronization of the clocks would be through the use of a compatible reference input.

Regards
Waqqas

Return to Software Developers