10-bit HDR Input and Output?

Ask software engineering and SDK questions for developers working on Mac OS X, Windows or Linux.
  • Author

Jodon Karlik

10-bit HDR Input and Output?

PostWed May 31, 2017 12:25 am

Hello,

I've been tasked with the evaluation of updating our software to support 10-bit HDR (HLG Rec2020). I've been poking through the SDK and haven't found any references to anything of the sort. It appears I can create a 10-bit frame (bmdFormat10BitYUV or a 10bit RGB format), but there is no reference to Rec2020 (only the SD and HD standards 601 and 709). The only mention of HDR appears to be related to metadata.

So I have a few questions:

1. Is it possible to develop an application and use BlackMagic cards for 10-bit HDR (HLG 2020) as input and output?
  2. Are there any examples of how to do this?
  3. If we're receiving a 10-bit source, what format can we expect to receive the frame as?
  4. Are there any built-in color conversions (to/from 8-bit RGBA) or should we expect to write these ourselves?
  5. If we want to supply key/fill data for an external keyer, what format do we use? RGBX seems to be the closest, but the X indicates it would be discarded.
  6. If we're trying to output a 10-bit HDR signal, is it a matter of supplying a 10-bit frame and setting the appropriate metadata, or is there more to it?

Thank you in advance!

Jodon Karlik
Coding Jar Studios

Return to Software Developers