Capture 4Kx4K (3D top-bottom) from HDMI input

Ask software engineering and SDK questions for developers working on Mac OS X, Windows or Linux.
  • Author

joshua.dixon

Capture 4Kx4K (3D top-bottom) from HDMI input

PostFri Jun 09, 2017 11:34 am

I'm trying to use the Ultrastudio 4K or Ultrastudio 4K Extreme 3 for ingesting 4kx4k 3D video (top-bottom orientation) via HDMI input and outputting left and right eye video over independent SDI output. Is there an API available for separating the top-bottom video from HDMI input?

I noticed the following text within the SDK documentation. "3D (dual-stream) capture and playback is supported by certain DeckLink devices such as the DeckLink 4K Extreme. The 3D functionality is only available over HDMI or SDI, where Channel A and Channel B represented the left and right eyes. The 3D packing must be manually set when connecting to pre-HDMI 1.4 devices. When capturing from an HDMI 1.4 compliant source, the 3D packing format will automatically detect, and connect be overridden. When outputting to an HDMI 1.4 compliant device / monitor, the packing format will be adjusted according to the device / monitors capabilities, but can be manually changed. Refer to the IDeckLinkConfiguration interface and BMDVideo3DPackingFormat sections for more information on getting and setting the packing format."

I've been able to ingest the 4Kx4k 3D content (i.e., 4kx2k per eye), but I'm not sure the capture device is recognizing the video as 3D content. I used Ultrastudio 4K as the capture device via high speed HDMI cable from 3D camera.

Return to Software Developers