SDI Tally over LANC

Ask software engineering and SDK questions for developers working on Mac OS X, Windows or Linux.
  • Author

Jakub Hasinski

SDI Tally over LANC

PostMon Sep 18, 2017 8:04 pm

Hello

Is it posible to take information about tally sended via SDI from ATEM switcher to studio camera?

LANC mayby?

We have large prompter that covers tally light in BM Studio Camera and we need rise some bulid in tally ;)

Cameron Nichols

Blackmagic Design

Re: SDI Tally over LANC

PostWed Sep 20, 2017 4:55 am

Hi jhasinski,

The tally from ATEM switcher is included in the Blackmagic Video Device Embedded Control Protocol [1] and is encoded into a SMPTE 291M packet in active region of VANC.

There are a number of ways to capture the VANC data:
1) With Blackmagic DeckLink Capture Card/UltraStudio and running custom application using DeckLink SDK to capture VANC data [2]
2) With Blackmagic 3G-SDI Arduino Shield with Arduino sketches to capture tally information [3]

Regards
Cameron

References:
[1] ATEM Switchers Manual - Blackmagic Video Device Embedded Control Protocol
[2] Blackmagic DeckLink SDK - 2.4.7.1 VANC Capture
[3] Blackmagic 3G-SDI Arduino Shield - Communicating with you Arduino Shield

Jakub Hasinski

PostThu Sep 21, 2017 10:04 am

Yes i know that ways

But im asking when tally light is on via blackmagic arduino shield LANC record state will be indicated?

I need get out tally signal that already is in camera (tally light lit) to power larger tally indicator :).

Cameron Nichols

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Sep 27, 2017 6:11 am

Hi Jakub,

The Tally and LANC Record are independent functions. As studio cameras are for live production, it does not implement the LANC record command.

I suggest implementing from the SDI VANC (using the Blackmagic 3G-SDI Ardiuno Shield), or using external networked Tally driver (eg Blackmagic GPI and Tally Interface), or a custom made tally driver (for instance from Tally-Lights).

Kind Regards
Cameron Nichols

Xtreemtec

PostSun Oct 01, 2017 12:25 pm

Jakub Hasinski wrote:I need get out tally signal that already is in camera (tally light lit) to power larger tally indicator :).

If it is for tally indication on your camera.. You could use the monitor Tally output function in the protocol. I don't have a ursa but i guess they will output that too on the SDI out of the camera. Tally ID 0 = monitor tally output. So if ID 0 gets high the camera is on air.. This is the same methode that is used to light up the tally led of the viewfinder. ;)

You can also put the shield in the incoming control line to the camera.. Were all Tally data is,, But then you need to adres your shields to only get the data you want.

P.S. not a novice project.. You need real programming skills to do this type of interfacing.
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Xtreemtec

PostTue Oct 03, 2017 6:13 pm

No it doesn't as Lanc does not support that in their protocol..
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

stephen_neal

PostWed Nov 29, 2017 12:05 am

In many broadcast studios I've worked in, it's not unusual to use an optical sensor attached to the camera tally LED to remotely drive the prompter hood tally/cue light on an attached prompter.

I think both Autoscript and Autocue offer solutions for their prompter hoods that use optical sensors - in fact a quick search of the Autoscript site shows that their tally options on their prompter hoods include optical sensor drivers. (Because prompter hoods are often hired, it's often easier to use optical sensors for tally lights than have to have interface cables...)

Return to Software Developers