GetAvailableVideoFrameCount() always returns 0

Ask software engineering and SDK questions for developers working on Mac OS X, Windows or Linux.
  • Author

GetAvailableVideoFrameCount() always returns 0

PostThu Feb 15, 2018 10:36 pm

I am developing a machine vision application on OS X using an Intensity Extreme for capturing HDMI frames.
It turns out that IDeckLinkInput::GetAvailableVideoFrameCount() always returns 0. I hoped to use this method to skip frames when processing can't keep up, but now i have to find another way to achieve that. Is this a known issue in the driver or am i misunderstanding the purpose of this function? Will it only work with some specific capture devices?

Cameron Nichols

Blackmagic Design

Re: GetAvailableVideoFrameCount() always returns 0

PostFri Feb 16, 2018 4:49 am

Hi Erwin,

Thanks for raising this, the fix for IDeckLinkInput::GetAvailableVideoFrameCount() will be included in the next Desktop Video release.

There are two alternative mechanisms:
1) On IDeckLinkInputCallback::VideoInputFrameArrived callback, make a call to IDeckLinkVideoInputFrame:: GetHardwareReferenceTimestamp[1], keep track of the frameTime to ensure that the processing is keeping up with the expected stream time.

2) You may want to consider using IDeckLinkScreenPreviewCallback[2], instead of VideoInputFrameArrived callback, the latter callback expects the processing to be within the frame interval. IDeckLinkScreenPreviewCallback is primarily targeted for OpenGL/DirectX rendering, as render times can be greater than the frame interval time. As such there is no requirement for IDeckLinkScreenPreviewCallback processing time and no impact of dropped frames.

[1] IDeckLinkVideoInputFrame:: GetHardwareReferenceTimestamp method
[2] IDeckLinkScreenPreviewCallback::DrawFrame method

Return to Software Developers