URGENT: Blackmagic WDM capture filter already in use

Ask software engineering and SDK questions for developers working on Mac OS X, Windows or Linux.
  • Author

nathandumoulin

URGENT: Blackmagic WDM capture filter already in use

PostWed Sep 12, 2018 1:23 am

I created a project last year that integrates live video from my Decklink 4K SDI card, into a .NET project. At the time everything worked great, and I finished the software and set it aside.

Fast forward to now, and I'm ready to finally use the software..... except now I've run into a fatal roadblock:

When trying to access the live video, it seems the Blackmagic WDM Capture filter is already in use.

To trouble shoot, I've tried the following:

1) To make sure it's not my custom software that's causing the problem, I rebooted the computer, and opened GraphEdit, and tried to add the Blackmagic WDM Capture filter. It fails, and says "The filter could not be created. Resources used by this filter may already be in use. Access is denied. (Return code 0x80070005)".

2) I ran the Black Magic Media Express software, and I can see the live video just fine.

Any ideas? This project has taken two years to develop, and my entire life savings. The software is a critical component, and suddenly it's not working, which is causing me great stress. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

nathandumoulin

Re: URGENT: Blackmagic WDM capture filter already in use

PostWed Sep 12, 2018 2:23 am

Update: The new version of BMD Desktop Video seems to have solved the conflict. The only issue now is that the graph is unable to produce an image. Ive tried every possible frame rate and color combination, but am only getting a black screen. It's still a nightmare, but at least I'm making progress. :mrgreen:

Xtreemtec

PostWed Sep 12, 2018 8:19 am

nathandumoulin wrote:Update: The new version of BMD Desktop Video seems to have solved the conflict. The only issue now is that the graph is unable to produce an image. Ive tried every possible frame rate and color combination, but am only getting a black screen. It's still a nightmare, but at least I'm making progress. :mrgreen:

Running Mac High Sierra? Or PC?
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

nathandumoulin

PostWed Sep 12, 2018 3:21 pm

Windows 10.

I tried rolling back the Destop Video version, but the conflict returned.

My input video is clearly at 1080i59.94 as confirmed in Medis Express, but I’m unable to produce an image in graph edit or virtual dub.

nathandumoulin

PostWed Sep 12, 2018 6:47 pm

Update: FIXED!!!!!! :mrgreen:

Desktop Video version 1.8.X (and backwards): WDM error, which wasn't present until this year.
Desktop Video version 1.10.X: WDM works, and video shows!
Desktop Video version 1.11.X: WDM works, but video is black.

Conclusion: BMD, something weird is going on with your updates! :shock:

Xtreemtec

PostThu Sep 13, 2018 12:42 pm

Log this into a Support ticket to BMD helpdesk.,.. Only then it will reach the software developers.. And maybe things get fixed onwards... ;)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

nathandumoulin

PostMon Sep 17, 2018 7:23 am

Everything was working great for 3 days, and then Windows did an auto update, which recreated the previous WDM error ("The filter could not be created."). I tried installing 1.11 again in hopes that the update somehow fixed the issue with the latest Desktop Video firmware, but it gave black video again. I then reinstall the older 1.10, and everything worked. Something seriously buggy is going on here. Looks like I'm going to have to disable auto updates.

Return to Software Developers