Blackmagic Raw SDK: Encoding

Ask software engineering and SDK questions for developers working on Mac OS X, Windows or Linux.
  • Author

William McGough

Blackmagic Raw SDK: Encoding

PostFri Sep 14, 2018 6:50 pm

After looking through the Developer Information PDF for the Blackmagic Raw SDK, it seems like the SDK is currently aimed only at decoding the format.

I was wondering if there would be a possibility to add encoding capability to the SDK:

I would like to build a utility which converts other raw formats into Blackmagic Raw (such as my Blackmagic CDNGs and Canon CRMs) to take advantage of the performance of this new codec.

I recognize that, for a full experience, sensor/gamma/color science data from the camera manufacturer should be integrated; at the very least, I'd like to give it a shot, even if that meant converting from one curve to another.

P.S. Really impressed with the performance/quality of this codec – keep up the great work!
Resolve Studio × Micro Panel, MacBook Pro 16" × eGPU (Vega Frontier Edition), Canon C200, Pocket Cinema Camera 4K × Metabones, Pocket Cinema Camera × Metabones, Eizo CG248-4K

Jack Fairley

Re: Blackmagic Raw SDK: Encoding

PostMon Sep 17, 2018 11:58 pm

Since the new format includes an in-camera demosaic, it may not be possible.
Ryzen 5800X3D
32GB DDR4-3600
RTX 3090
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
Resolve Studio 17.4.1
Windows 11 Pro 21H2

David Kronstein

Re: Blackmagic Raw SDK: Encoding

PostTue Sep 18, 2018 12:27 am

I second this request, but from a lower level. We would like to add Blackmagic RAW file saving support to our product, the Chronos high speed camera.

To do this we would need a spec for the file format so we can do the appropriate compression and encoding in the camera's FPGA. Is this something that is planned?

Return to Software Developers