Dealing with SDI sources that violate the standards

Ask software engineering and SDK questions for developers working on Mac OS X, Windows or Linux.
  • Author

Baldur Gislason

Dealing with SDI sources that violate the standards

PostThu Feb 28, 2019 2:10 pm

It has come to my attention that there is a great number of low cost (sub $1000) 1080p60 cameras out there sold by multiple vendors likely all based on the same chipset with 3G-SDI output that violate the standards in that their frame headers sent over the SDI link indicate a format of 1080p30 when p60 mode is selected.
The Black Magic Video Assist 4k monitor displays those signals without problems in their actual format (p60) but the Decklink cards refuse to decode any video frames sent by those cameras. My only current way to get video from these cameras into a computer is to pass it through a Video Assist 4K which will mend the headers.
If I connect the camera directly I get the video frame callbacks from the API as expected but no data and the flags indicate there is no video signal.
Is there any way to relax the Decklink driver's insistence on having the correct headers and make it behave like the Video Assist which works fine despite the wrong information passed in the headers?
Baldur Gislason

Xtreemtec

Re: Dealing with SDI sources that violate the standards

PostThu Feb 28, 2019 3:13 pm

Can you be more specific on which cameras that would apply? Because i have not heard about this issue.

The only thing i know which could cause issues is when people start using Secuity SDI cameras.. Because those are not up to SMPTE broadcast standard and could miss out on there Payload ID's. ;)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Baldur Gislason

PostThu Feb 28, 2019 3:18 pm

Yes they are security SDI cameras from China. The picture quality is decent and they have big lens with high zoom factors and they work great as long as I'm able to have a video assist monitor to pass the signal through I can capture the full 60fps, but I would rather not have to leave a bunch of video assist monitors in the server rack for a number of reasons. All of the lower bandwidth modes work great, 1080p30, 1080p25, 720p60, just the 3gig modes have the wrong frame headers.
I have gone through a few different cameras that while looking different on the outside and having different features all seem to use the same hardware for SDI interface so they all present the same problem.
Baldur Gislason

Xtreemtec

PostThu Feb 28, 2019 3:22 pm

Yeah well there is your problem. Security cameras do not meet SMPTE specifications. And so spit out different Payload id's if any at all.
Security recorders don't mind.. And camera manufacturers safe money by doing so due too licensing shortcuts.

That is why i always recommend against security cameras. And more surprised the VA4K is able to ingest this signal.
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Return to Software Developers