GVG protocol implementation

Ask software engineering and SDK questions for developers working on Mac OS X, Windows or Linux.
  • Author
  • Message
Offline

plek243

  • Posts: 3
  • Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:42 am
  • Real Name: Peter Lekkerkerker

GVG protocol implementation

PostMon Jun 10, 2019 6:04 pm

Hello,

I want to do some simple remote control of an ATEM Television Studio HD, without the use of a PC or Mac. I got a few functions working like selecting sources for program and preview, and auto transition with the T-bar.

But what I also need is the ability to select the media players, and the ability to select the source for the aux channel. Is this possible in any way or form?

I know there is also the option for the skaarhoj arduino library, but I really prefer something that is supported by BMD, so I don't have to worry about future software upgrades.

Peter
Offline
User avatar

Baz

  • Posts: 553
  • Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:06 am
  • Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: GVG protocol implementation

PostTue Jun 11, 2019 1:13 am

The ATEM GVG interface is very basic and there is no direct access to media players etc via the GVG protocol.

I sell ATEM controllers that use the ATEM GVG interface (RS422 serial 9pin connector) and can be seen here:






MISC
U/S Express, SmartviewDuo, SmartScopeDuo, Teranex 2D, Web Pres, 5/7 Vid Assists
VIDEOHUB
Smart 12x12
12x24
72x144
HYPERDECK
Studio, Shuttle, Studio Mini
ATEM
2me4K, 2me, TVS, TVS HD, CamConvs, StudioConvs, Studio Cams, Micro Studio Cam
Offline

cishoy

  • Posts: 2
  • Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:10 pm
  • Real Name: Chris Ishoy

Re: GVG protocol implementation

PostWed Jun 12, 2019 6:53 pm

plek243 wrote:Hello,

I want to do some simple remote control of an ATEM Television Studio HD, without the use of a PC or Mac. I got a few functions working like selecting sources for program and preview, and auto transition with the T-bar.

But what I also need is the ability to select the media players, and the ability to select the source for the aux channel. Is this possible in any way or form?

I know there is also the option for the skaarhoj arduino library, but I really prefer something that is supported by BMD, so I don't have to worry about future software upgrades.

Peter


I am also looking to control the ATEM 4 M/E using the RS-422 serial port with a control system. I am just looking for simple source to destination commands. I just joined the forum, and I've been searching for the GVP100 document. Are these the same commands you found to work? Care to share what worked for you?
Offline

plek243

  • Posts: 3
  • Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:42 am
  • Real Name: Peter Lekkerkerker

Re: GVG protocol implementation

PostWed Jun 12, 2019 7:02 pm

Baz wrote:The ATEM GVG interface is very basic and there is no direct access to media players etc via the GVG protocol.

Oh that's disappointing. Seems almost a bit silly from BMD to implement a protocol and then not add these things. This should be easy for them to do, and I'm pretty sure many people would appreciate it.

Now they leave it up to the hackers community which should not be necessary imho.
Offline

plek243

  • Posts: 3
  • Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:42 am
  • Real Name: Peter Lekkerkerker

Re: GVG protocol implementation

PostWed Jun 12, 2019 7:41 pm

cishoy wrote:
I am also looking to control the ATEM 4 M/E using the RS-422 serial port with a control system. I am just looking for simple source to destination commands. I just joined the forum, and I've been searching for the GVP100 document. Are these the same commands you found to work? Care to share what worked for you?


I can share:

First of all connect to the RS422 port with 38400, 8bits, 1 stop bit, Odd parity.
Then each command starts with a <break>: a break means pulling the line to a zero level for longer than a frame duration. In my crude test I just manually reversed RX+ and RX- for a second or so with a switch.

Then there are a few commands that worked for me like:
Set Program to input 1: 0x30 0x03 0x01 0xC1 0x01
Set Program to input 2: 0x30 0x03 0x01 0xC1 0x02

Set Preview to input 1: 0x30 0x03 0x01 0xC2 0x01
Set Preview to input 2: 0x30 0x03 0x01 0xC2 0x02

Read current Program source: 0x30 0x02 0x01 0x41

Perform auto-transition on the T-bar: 0x30 0x03 0x01 0xfb 0x0b

It's hard to find this info from BMD, but competing brands use the same protocol, even if it is on RS232, and do have proper documentation.

Also worth mentioning: When the TV Studio HD (v7.5.2) boots, it spits out some data at what seems to bee 115200bps. But this has nothing to do with GVG100, so just ignore that.
Offline

cishoy

  • Posts: 2
  • Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:10 pm
  • Real Name: Chris Ishoy

Re: GVG protocol implementation

PostWed Jun 12, 2019 10:18 pm

Thanks Peter! I will give these commands a try. Also, I found some info on the commands to send a break through a serial port, so I will let you know if that works.

Return to Software Developers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests