DP Jason Newfield Shoots Sizzle Reels with URSA Mini 4K

Get all your news and announcements here!
  • Author

Kerry de Boer

Blackmagic Design

DP Jason Newfield Shoots Sizzle Reels with URSA Mini 4K

PostThu Jul 28, 2016 1:10 pm

Blackmagic Design today announced that URSA Mini 4K digital film camera was used by DP Jason Newfield to shoot several sizzle reels for the upcoming television season. Newfield, who DPs for History Channel, Discovery Channel, National Geographic Channel and more, chose the URSA Mini 4K for its cinematic look, versatility and ergonomics during the shoots.

“I was asked to shoot a sizzle reel in a remote part of Alaska by Prometheus Entertainment, which had hired me to DP several shows for the History Channel a couple of years prior,” explained Newfield. “I used the URSA Mini 4K for stand up and sit down interviews shot in the field as well as some specialty shots, for which I relied on the camera's slow motion capabilities and the global shutter, which eliminated any possibility of the dreaded ‘jello-ing’ effects on handheld or more frenetic shots. Also, it was cold and raining most of the time, with temperatures dipping down to the mid 20s (degrees Fahrenheit), but the URSA Mini 4K performed wonderfully.”

Conversely, it was hot and dry with temperatures reaching 90 degrees Fahrenheit when Newfield shot and produced, with his company Bayou Pictures, the sizzle reel for a sci-fi channel entirely on the URSA Mini 4K. “On this shoot, I used the camera for both daylight and lighted night green screen shooting all in the same day, and I shot in 4K ProRes for post keying and scaling purposes,” he said.

To learn more, please visit: https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/media/ ... 0160728-01

Return to Announcements