Blackmagic Production Camera 4K Shipping, New Low Price!

Get all your news and announcements here!
  • Author

Kerry de Boer

Blackmagic Design

Blackmagic Production Camera 4K Shipping, New Low Price!

PostMon Feb 10, 2014 6:18 am

Blackmagic Design today announced the Blackmagic Production Camera 4K is now shipping and with a new low price of US$2,995. This new low price will be available for all customers, including existing pre-orders. Blackmagic Production Camera 4K is available now from Blackmagic Design resellers worldwide for only US$2,995.

“The support from the creative community for the Blackmagic Cinema Camera and Production Camera 4K has been amazing,” said Grant Petty, CEO, Blackmagic Design. “As with all of our products, we work hard in production to reduce costs so we can pass along the savings, even to our first Blackmagic Production Camera 4K customers. The Blackmagic Production Camera 4K is a perfect companion for ATEM Production 4K switchers and we hope the new low price will help more customers to expand their Ultra HD live production set ups with even more camera angles!”

For more information, please visit http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/press/p ... seID=58775.

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

Re: Blackmagic Production Camera 4K Shipping, New Low Price!

PostMon Feb 10, 2014 6:41 am

Fantastic news!

Congratulations to the entire Blackmagic Design team!

Good shooting everyone!

-

Nix

PostMon Feb 10, 2014 6:42 am

This is amazing! Thank you, BMD.

Rado Stefanov

PostMon Feb 10, 2014 7:02 am

Great news. But no RAW. We need better white balance selection...
Last edited by Rado Stefanov on Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rado Stefanov

Rafael Molina

PostMon Feb 10, 2014 7:15 am

Thanks Blackmagic Design, I never thought that would happen, but sure things to come are even more exciting.
Rafael Molina
Independent Professional Filmmaker and Producer
Medellín – Colombia

BMCC EF
Reseller: Televisión y Video Digital Ltda.
Ordered: 28th january 2013
Arrived: 5th june 2013

Karel Šimůnek

PostMon Feb 10, 2014 10:38 am

Hello, I have only one question.

On the main page under products / bmpc 4k it's Prores and CinemaDNG RAW. But in today's press release there's only Prores codec. So CinemaDNG will be available later with some new firmware? Or is it available right now in BMPC?

Thanks

Djreversal

PostMon Feb 10, 2014 2:08 pm

I should be part of the reliable rumors guys lol.. I called 2999 about 2 weeks ago lol .. Glad it finally released and hope they missed putting raw on the release or it's a firmware upgrade very quickly

Mark

Morten Solvstrom

PostMon Feb 10, 2014 2:51 pm

It's great for sure. I feel pretty bummed out though. I bought the Cinema Camera right before christmas because it was $2000 cheaper and a little over a month after they decide to reduce the price. Unfortunately i can't return my cinema camera and with the price dump i for sure would have waited and bought the Production camera instead. I feel a little cheated and wish they would have made this announcement way earlier! :(
Last edited by Morten Solvstrom on Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Djreversal

PostMon Feb 10, 2014 3:12 pm

ouch yea thats annoying..... I purchased a new Mac Pro, with a nice external raid storage and what not.. So i spent all my camera money lol... I didn't mind the wait because Its only a hobby for me.

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostMon Feb 10, 2014 4:52 pm

Djreversal wrote:ouch yea thats annoying..... I purchased a new Mac Pro, with a nice external raid storage and what not.. So i spent all my camera money lol... I didn't mind the wait because Its only a hobby for me.

Nice hobby! Enjoy your new toys!

-

Karel Šimůnek

PostMon Feb 10, 2014 7:16 pm

Do you know what computer configuration can edit the Ultra HD footage from BMPC?
Because I've downloaded some test footage from this camera from the website and my computer can't even play the file smoothly.
So Do you thing that the new Mac Pro will be good enough for editing Ultra HD footage?
Or can anyone write configuration that can hadle this kind of footage?

Thank you

Djreversal

PostMon Feb 10, 2014 8:17 pm

you can build a nice PC to edit with or a mac pro... The Mac Pro is very nice, hard drive is super fast, but you will need a High Speed External Raid Storage Setup.. I ended up buying the Promise Pegasus2 system, i set it up for Raid 0... By Default its raid 5 for safety of not losing your data and what not but like i said, for a hobby and i never had a raid setup crash on me (knock on wood) so i went with Raid 0 and squeezed some nice speed out of regular 7200rpm drives.. I am getting about 800MB/sec read and write speeds, which should be fine for editing 4k video, i also get 1000mb on the internal drive as well. With final cut pro now optimized for the dual video cards inside the mac pro I'm told it runs very smooth up to the point they had about 14 streams going at once and it was still fine. I guess we will see once i save up a little money to grab a nice 4k BMCC Rig. Just trying to figure out what lenses i really should get to play with.

You main concerns when handling 4k are the Hard drive speeds, and RAM. The video card probably next most important, then processing power after that.

Kingsley Bailey

PostMon Feb 10, 2014 10:30 pm

Dear Blackmagic Design team,

Would you be so gracious to answer two questions for me.

1st. Has the 4K MFT version been scraped?

2nd. If no to the above when do you 'realistically' estimate a shipping date.

I would really appreciate a response to my questions.

Thank you for your time, and congrats on managing to bring construction prices down so you can offer an even better deal for your customers.

Kingsley Bailey

Tony Rivera

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Feb 10, 2014 10:52 pm

I looked this up and never saw any announcement about a MFT version of the camera.
Support: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support
Info: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/company

Follow us on Instagram:
@blackmagicnewsofficial

HPG

PostTue Feb 11, 2014 1:04 am

Kingsley Bailey wrote:Has the 4K MFT version been scraped?

An MFT sensor is much smaller than the S35 sensor on the BM4k cam. BMD knows this and would never announce such a thing.

Now, a PL mount version would be nice! BMD? :P

Dave Perry

PostTue Feb 11, 2014 3:49 am

Karel Šimůnek wrote:Do you know what computer configuration can edit the Ultra HD footage from BMPC?
Because I've downloaded some test footage from this camera from the website and my computer can't even play the file smoothly.
So Do you thing that the new Mac Pro will be good enough for editing Ultra HD footage?
Or can anyone write configuration that can hadle this kind of footage?

Thank you

Yes, the new Mac Pro was designed specifically for editing 4k.
BMUM 4.6k PL, S1H
----------------------------------------------
Dave Perry Cinematographer LLC
Director of Photography • Camera Operator
2046 High Tower Dr. Unit 1
Hollywood USA 90068
daveperry.net

Karel Šimůnek

PostTue Feb 11, 2014 8:05 am

Djreversal wrote:you can build a nice PC to edit with or a mac pro... The Mac Pro is very nice, hard drive is super fast, but you will need a High Speed External Raid Storage Setup.. I ended up buying the Promise Pegasus2 system, i set it up for Raid 0... By Default its raid 5 for safety of not losing your data and what not but like i said, for a hobby and i never had a raid setup crash on me (knock on wood) so i went with Raid 0 and squeezed some nice speed out of regular 7200rpm drives.. I am getting about 800MB/sec read and write speeds, which should be fine for editing 4k video, i also get 1000mb on the internal drive as well. With final cut pro now optimized for the dual video cards inside the mac pro I'm told it runs very smooth up to the point they had about 14 streams going at once and it was still fine. I guess we will see once i save up a little money to grab a nice 4k BMCC Rig. Just trying to figure out what lenses i really should get to play with.

You main concerns when handling 4k are the Hard drive speeds, and RAM. The video card probably next most important, then processing power after that.

Thank you so much for your really good answer. I guess Hexa Core Mac Pro will be the best choice for editing Ultra HD ProRes. ;)

Daniel Dash

PostTue Feb 11, 2014 11:50 am

Hey, what about RAW? There wont be at all, maybe will be later or already is there?
Can you clarify this question?

Wesley

PostTue Feb 11, 2014 1:22 pm

And now, it's become urgent to get the list of approved SSD for the 4K RAW....
Wesley Mrozinski - Director Of Photography
Paris / Montreal
http://www.airwess.com

Jeff Buchbinder

PostTue Feb 11, 2014 1:41 pm

Dash wrote:Hey, what about RAW? There wont be at all, maybe will be later or already is there?
Can you clarify this question?

The spec page still lists RAW, so I would assume it's still there, as it has been updated with the new price, etc.
Jeff Buchbinder ( http://jbuchbinder.com/ )
Shoot the Moon Films ( http://shootthemoonfilms.com )

Djreversal

PostTue Feb 11, 2014 3:58 pm

Karel Šimůnek wrote:
Djreversal wrote:you can build a nice PC to edit with or a mac pro... The Mac Pro is very nice, hard drive is super fast, but you will need a High Speed External Raid Storage Setup.. I ended up buying the Promise Pegasus2 system, i set it up for Raid 0... By Default its raid 5 for safety of not losing your data and what not but like i said, for a hobby and i never had a raid setup crash on me (knock on wood) so i went with Raid 0 and squeezed some nice speed out of regular 7200rpm drives.. I am getting about 800MB/sec read and write speeds, which should be fine for editing 4k video, i also get 1000mb on the internal drive as well. With final cut pro now optimized for the dual video cards inside the mac pro I'm told it runs very smooth up to the point they had about 14 streams going at once and it was still fine. I guess we will see once i save up a little money to grab a nice 4k BMCC Rig. Just trying to figure out what lenses i really should get to play with.

Thank you so much for your really good answer. I guess Hexa Core Mac Pro will be the best choice for editing Ultra HD ProRes. ;)

I got the 6 core model, with the upgraded hard drive and d700 video and 64gb ram. The 8 core and 12 core options were way too out of my budget for just a hobby system. I can't wait to play with some VFX and 4k Raw.... here is a pic

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostTue Feb 11, 2014 5:29 pm

Dash wrote:Hey, what about RAW? There wont be at all, maybe will be later or already is there? Can you clarify this question?

In his BMPC-4K shipping announcement, Grant Petty reaffirms that the compressed RAW feature will be available for the camera. It'll be distributed as a free firmware update sometime after the camera initally starts shipping:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=18726

"… We are working as hard as we can to add RAW recording quickly and … We have some other software updates due soon for the other cameras, so we are continuing to work hard and I will post some updates as we can. …"

-

MagicWego

PostTue Feb 11, 2014 6:19 pm

This is good news! Hoping that happens soon and raw 50p and 60p.
Beautiful images should be at the appointment.
The Mac Pro photo is dreaming ... keep us updated fluidity. :D
FLACCOMIO
DoP
Production and Post-Production Cinéma

Terry Frechette

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Feb 11, 2014 7:49 pm

Afternoon:

We will be adding RAW to the camera in an upcoming firmware.

Terry

Mark May

PostTue Feb 11, 2014 11:51 pm

Black Magic has done it yet again! Folks this is how you put these other companies out of business! by providing a great product at a fair price! not a fair product at an outrageous price like all the other companies do. Black magic has got a Lifer right here! what can I say but this company is breaking all the rules for the consumers benefit! and that is what is so exciting! Way to go GRANT PETTY! and Black magic staff!
MadMay Productions

Putin Xyj

PostWed Feb 12, 2014 2:00 am

It is really great news.
Last edited by Putin Xyj on Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

ronhaley

PostWed Feb 12, 2014 4:12 am

Any firmware changes? Any support for the large number of EF lenses not supported?
Ron Haley

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostWed Feb 12, 2014 7:10 pm

comet48 wrote:Any firmware changes? Any support for the large number of EF lenses not supported? - Ron Haley

Some of the BMPC-4K beta testers have reported that they've noticed improved lens compatibility compared to the BMCC-EF.

I think we'll have to wait a bit for cameras to get in users hands to see what that means in the real world. The lenses themselves have some variability from copy to copy, model revisions, etc.

And "improved" doesn't mean universal compatibility (including: I hope we don't "lose" any lenses that currently work on the BMCC-EF).

Stay tuned ...

-

NIKART8272

PostThu Feb 13, 2014 6:25 am

GREAT

Karel Šimůnek

PostThu Feb 13, 2014 10:13 am

Djreversal wrote:
Karel Šimůnek wrote:

I got the 6 core model, with the upgraded hard drive and d700 video and 64gb ram. The 8 core and 12 core options were way too out of my budget for just a hobby system. I can't wait to play with some VFX and 4k Raw.... here is a pic

Congratulations to your outstanding new Mac Pro system. I want 6 core system as well. 8 and 12 core is as you write extremely expensive. Please write some update when you get BMPC and play with some Ultra HD footage. I need to know how it works with 6 core Mac Pro. Thanks very much

Karel Šimůnek

PostThu Feb 13, 2014 8:28 pm

Terry Frechette wrote:Afternoon:

We will be adding RAW to the camera in an upcoming firmware.

Terry

That is a FANTASTIC news! ;)

Alonzoharris

PostFri Feb 14, 2014 12:25 am

Hey everyone,

Delighted with the news about the new low price but I kinda feel let down by the shipping. Just discovered today that of all the first run orders going out only 6 cameras where sent to the UK. Massively disappointed by this after all the waiting to be relegated to a back order queue especially after being first on the pre-order list (a business on the authorized sellers list) to receive one. Now I'm being told I wont get one till the end of April at the earliest. How many cameras where built in total and shipped and what country got the majority?

Putin Xyj

PostFri Feb 14, 2014 5:02 am

Any chance of 2K, not just 4K and 1080?

Mark Aylward

PostSat Feb 15, 2014 2:49 am

Image[/quote]

Yeah I order the same machine and I am still waiting for Apple to ship it...
Mark Aylward

President
Dead Ringer Movies

Adam Simmons

PostSat Feb 15, 2014 3:45 pm

Alonzoharris wrote:Hey everyone,

Delighted with the news about the new low price but I kinda feel let down by the shipping. Just discovered today that of all the first run orders going out only 6 cameras where sent to the UK. Massively disappointed by this after all the waiting to be relegated to a back order queue especially after being first on the pre-order list (a business on the authorized sellers list) to receive one. Now I'm being told I wont get one till the end of April at the earliest. How many cameras where built in total and shipped and what country got the majority?
That's strange as I read in another thread that CVP have already had 10 as well as some other retailers have had them. I'd be very surprised if it took until the end of April to get one unless your re-seller never ordered any in the first place
DVC Built Clevo P775DM3-G Laptop with UHD screen, 7700K CPU@4.9Ghz, Geforce GTX 1060 6GB GPU, G-Sync UHD screen, 500GB M.2 Primary, 1x 480GB SSD, 1x1TB M.2, 1x 2TB Video drives.
Building Bespoke Video Editing systems for over 16 years

Alonzoharris

PostSat Feb 15, 2014 8:01 pm

adbear wrote:That's strange as I read in another thread that CVP have already had 10 as well as some other retailers have had them. I'd be very surprised if it took until the end of April to get one unless your re-seller never ordered any in the first place

Geoff Baxter wrote: I would think that the problem would be your agent did not order enough cameras, particularly when an agent in the US ordered 2,000 of them according to reports.

I phoned up ProAV and spoke to one of the sales team who told me they only got 1 camera out of a total of 6 shipped to the UK. I then spoke with Scan who Ive ordered my camera through and told me they got none of the first orders. The earliest Id have to wait was the end of April? Both are on Blackmagics authorised uk sellers list so I really dont know whats going on anymore. Im going to call around first thing on monday with other sellers and find out what they got.

Timothy Kane

B&H Shipping YET?

PostSun Feb 16, 2014 12:30 am

Does anyone know if B&H has started shipping yet?

Karel Šimůnek

PostTue Feb 18, 2014 9:22 am

Hello,

is it possible in the future to get 1080p with 120fps in BMPC 4K with some firmware?
Or even Ultra HD with 60 fps?

virtualevans

PostFri Feb 21, 2014 3:47 am

what about black sun spot in BMCC???????????? WHEN???????

MagicWego

PostSat Mar 01, 2014 11:12 am

:twisted: :evil:
Or are they deliveries?
It is a joke to send Dropper!
They are really blowing!
Tests for which received?
FLACCOMIO
DoP
Production and Post-Production Cinéma

Zack Steffens

PostFri Mar 28, 2014 5:50 pm

Got mine a few weeks ago, wow, what an insanely good camera for the money. I have had much better than expected performance in low light, but I had a few shots where the notorious vertical banding has crept in (it was insignificant in my low light tests). The banding was in fully-lit unfocussed mid-tone greys (!?). It's the kind of thing I can easily work around if they don't come up with a firmware fix. And there's no going back from the 4K after you check out your first clips. In, all, it's a very pleasing camera.

Return to Announcements