Cintel Film Scanner Helps Preserve Film from Cypress Gardens

Get all your news and announcements here!
  • Author

Kerry de Boer

Blackmagic Design

Cintel Film Scanner Helps Preserve Film from Cypress Gardens

PostMon Oct 16, 2017 2:47 pm

Blackmagic Design today announced that its Cintel Scanner and DaVinci Resolve Studio are being used by Paul Gerrish, of Cypress Gardens Treasure, to scan close to 6,000 reels of 16mm and 35mm film from the 1930s through to the 1980s. Cypress Gardens Treasure has acquired the film and photo archive from Cypress Gardens, a botanical garden and theme park that was one of the biggest attractions in Florida and known as the "Water Ski Capital of the World" for its water ski shows before it closed in 2009.

With a mission of preserving and providing access to the history of Cypress Gardens, Gerrish sought a solution that was both economical and safe for the film. “I wasn’t sure what the value of the collection would be, so economy was a big concern. Sending film out to be scanned was never an option as the cost would have far exceeded the price of a Cintel Scanner,” he said. “So far, I have scanned close to 300 reels without any problems, including shrinkage issues, which were my biggest concern. One 35mm nitrate film was even found and scanned on the Cintel; the film was from the 1940s but is clear enough to seem like it was filmed yesterday.”

“I generally scan most films at 24fps unless the film looks to be less than prime, in which case I will run it at about 12fps,” he noted. “Sometimes the reels are loaded with the ‘tail’ first, but rather than rewinding old reels, the Cintel can scan them as is. DaVinci Resolve Studio has a nice feature that allows me to change the speed to ‘reverse’ after the scan, and the film is automatically adjusted. The same goes for film that is flipped. One simple button in the color section will automatically adjust it so that the film is correct even if the initial scan was done backwards or reversed.”

To learn more, please visit: https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/media/ ... 0171016-01

Return to Announcements