Announcing Blackmagic MultiDock

Get all your news and announcements here!
  • Author

Christine Peterson

Announcing Blackmagic MultiDock

PostMon Apr 08, 2013 4:52 pm

Blackmagic Design today announced Blackmagic MultiDock, a new rack-based hard disk chassis with Thunderbolt technology that allows up to 4 hard disks or solid state disks to be inserted and mounted on any Thunderbolt based Mac or Windows computer. Blackmagic MultiDock will retail for US$595.

Blackmagic MultiDock will be demonstrated on the Blackmagic Design NAB 2013 booth at #SL218.

To learn more, please visit: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/press/p ... seID=38154
Christine Peterson

(Previously Community Relations Manager for Blackmagic Design)

DanielDroege

Re: Announcing Blackmagic MultiDock

PostTue Apr 09, 2013 2:39 pm

Will there be support for Thunderbolt Daisy Chain?

whistlerdan

PostFri Apr 19, 2013 3:45 pm

Exactly the question I need answered as well. If not..... it's pretty useless if you are trying to record off their other Thunderbolt connected devices that all only feature one single Thunderbolt port :(

michaelromano

PostWed May 08, 2013 2:13 am

GloWi wrote:Will there be support for Thunderbolt Daisy Chain?

BUMP

Joshua Helling

Blackmagic Design

PostWed May 08, 2013 5:11 pm

There is not. The device has one thunderbolt port and must be connected at the end.
Joshua Helling

Director of World Wide Support
Blackmagic Design Inc.

Adam Simmons

PostThu May 09, 2013 1:15 pm

Makes it pretty useless then if you also have BM thunderbolt input/output devices as they all seem to need to be 'on the end of the chain'
Also looking at the one photo, how do you get hard drives in to it, looks like it only takes 2.5" drives and not full size ones
DVC Built Clevo P775DM3-G Laptop with UHD screen, 7700K CPU@4.9Ghz, Geforce GTX 1060 6GB GPU, G-Sync UHD screen, 500GB M.2 Primary, 1x 480GB SSD, 1x1TB M.2, 1x 2TB Video drives.
Building Bespoke Video Editing systems for over 16 years

James Hope

PostThu May 09, 2013 10:49 pm

Adbear wrote:Also looking at the one photo, how do you get hard drives in to it, looks like it only takes 2.5" drives and not full size ones

It's intended to be used for 2.5" SSDs that used in the Hyperdeck Studios.
Windows 11 Pro, AMD Ryzen 7 3700X, 32GB RAM, NVidia RTX 2070 8GB.

Adam Simmons

PostFri May 10, 2013 5:17 am

James Hope wrote:
Adbear wrote:Also looking at the one photo, how do you get hard drives in to it, looks like it only takes 2.5" drives and not full size ones

They should make that clearer on the press release as it doesn't say that it just says 'hard disks'
DVC Built Clevo P775DM3-G Laptop with UHD screen, 7700K CPU@4.9Ghz, Geforce GTX 1060 6GB GPU, G-Sync UHD screen, 500GB M.2 Primary, 1x 480GB SSD, 1x1TB M.2, 1x 2TB Video drives.

James Hope

PostMon May 13, 2013 10:16 pm

Adbear wrote:
James Hope wrote:

They should make that clearer on the press release as it doesn't say that it just says 'hard disks'

Paragraph 4 of the press release:
With the introduction of Blackmagic Design’s HyperDeck SSD recorder/players as well as the Blackmagic Production Camera 4K that all use high speed solid state disks as their media, there has been a need for a broadcast strength rack mount dock that allows multiple disks to be managed and media to be used on computers.

EDIT: Also the first paragraph:
Blackmagic Design today announced Blackmagic MultiDock, a new rack-based hard disk chassis with Thunderbolt technology that allows up to 4 hard disks or solid state disks to be inserted and mounted on any Thunderbolt based Mac or Windows computer. Blackmagic MultiDock will retail for US$595.
Windows 11 Pro, AMD Ryzen 7 3700X, 32GB RAM, NVidia RTX 2070 8GB.

Adam Simmons

PostWed May 15, 2013 5:55 am

Yes I read that, but I also read the '4 Hard Disks' which implies it can take full size disks as they don't state the size of those disks. I already have hot swap bays that allow me plug in either 3.5 or 2.5 drives into the same slot. What they should have written was '4 x 2.5" Hard Disks' as although rare it is also possible to get 3.5" SSD drives.
The reason I say this is I've already had clients asking if this will take 4TB drives as they also thought it meant it could take 3.5" drives and I've had to explain to them that it can't

michaelromano

PostFri May 17, 2013 6:02 am

Will the MultiDock have SATA 6G controllers inside? I believe the press release states each disk has its own controller but at what speed?

Witch

PostFri May 31, 2013 12:32 am

I really cannot understand what is the reason to have on "professional" devices only one TB port, or any another port w/o loop. Seeing this situation not only here (i.e. on sonnet technologies "pro" express card to TB adapters) i beleive it is not a price question (license/hardware increasing total price). Does anybody know why it happens again and again? I was as much happy when it was announced as dissapointed now, getting knows that it will accept only ssd/2.5" hdd, and only one TB port. What the **** they thinking about, designing/producing this kind of devices?

Jimmy

PostMon Jun 03, 2013 1:39 pm

Seems like it hasn't been released yet. I wonder if they are rethinking the single TB port?

michaelromano

PostSun Jun 09, 2013 4:09 am

Any word on availability? Seems to have slipped from the May delivery promise. Some of us are ready to purchase, one TB port or not. For the record - Two is much better!

Grant Petty

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Jun 12, 2013 6:32 am

Hi,

Sorry this just came up before NAB where it was signed off as a final design and it was a surprise because I thought this product had been delayed because we were busy with other items. We are working on the marketing now and I will make sure we confirm the size of the disk. I had missed that. It does work with hard disks, but its mostly for SSDs that are being used for the cameras and HyperDecks.

Regards,

Grant
Blackmagic Design

Peter Odio

PostThu Jun 27, 2013 4:35 am

Is the MultiDock available now?

Code: Select all
Blackmagic MultiDock will be available May
NAB 2013, Las Vegas, USA - April 8, 2013

Seems to be available from Adorama, but not sure if it's with a singe TB or Daisy Chain.
promedios.tv

stefandevries

PostThu Jun 27, 2013 11:48 am

Is the Multidock becoming the Edward Snowden of gadgets? I.e. we know it should exist by now, but nobody has seen it, yet...

Jimmy

PostMon Jul 01, 2013 7:37 pm

Must be frustrating for engineers when some dude up in marketing jumps the gun and announces an imminent product release!

Peter Odio

PostMon Jul 01, 2013 9:41 pm

Blackmagic MultiDock will be available May

Just called Adorama and was told that is not in stock, expected by mid July.
promedios.tv

bestpractice

PostThu Aug 22, 2013 4:40 am

"Blackmagic MultiDock will be available May for US$595 from Blackmagic Design re sellers worldwide."

I ordered (and paid for) mine over three months ago.

Any news?

I'm having to explain to my employer why my project budget is spent, but not fully functional yet. Sure be nice to not have to cycle 8 x 512GB SSD's after each recording through a single slot USB 2.0 dock that we had to buy in the interim to be able to ingest anything - it's taking forever.

Makes me nervous about the 3 x BMDPC's we've ordered (and paid for) for another project as well.

At what point do I ask for refunds, and move on to my second choice solution.

Tony Rivera

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Aug 22, 2013 3:19 pm

These are currently shipping out to resellers.
Support: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support
Info: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/company

Follow us on Instagram:
@blackmagicnewsofficial

Return to Announcements