Announcing Blackmagic Production Camera 4K

Get all your news and announcements here!
  • Author

egibson001

Re: Announcing Blackmagic Production Camera 4K

PostFri Oct 25, 2013 12:04 am

idut21 wrote:
egibson001 wrote:Just found out that everyone's pre ordered 4k camera will be in tonight around midnight!

There, I feel much better

I just heard from a very trusted source that the cameras already shipped last week and they've been sitting in your storage closet this whole time!

Thanks for the update. I actually found it in my storage closet and and filmed a feature during our chat break. There is no way i could have pulled it off without this camera. phew

Greg Best

PostFri Oct 25, 2013 6:08 pm

TheLostMale wrote: Every single day they don't say something they are loosing customers and worse...future potential customers.

This. I been on board, cash in hand, ready since the 4k was announced. Now, if some other company releases something that meets my needs, I will jump ship. I don't WANT to, I want to support this effort of cameras by BM, but due to lack of communication, my allegiance is mostly gone.

I'm just one guy, but those "ONE GUY"S add up around the globe.

Maybe this is a side project for this company and not important at all compared to their line of other gear? Either way, hard to stay loyal with no communications. They could post a line or two monthly, or weekly and that would be great.

And for God's sake change the "SHIPPING SEPTEMBER" to say "Coming soon". That is just pathetic. Takes a webguy 4 seconds to update that.

bhook

PostFri Oct 25, 2013 6:17 pm

Greg Best wrote:And for God's sake change the "SHIPPING SEPTEMBER" to say "Coming soon". That is just pathetic. Takes a webguy 4 seconds to update that.

Makes you wonder if they actually read the forum, huh? That's been mentioned so many times and yet the pathetic error remains. Are they rubbing our noses in it or something?

:lol:

TheLostMale

PostFri Oct 25, 2013 9:42 pm

This total Lack of information is a public relations debacle. The cinema camera is already known as being crap by a large portion of the LA Industry, and now BMD has become the butt of most camera guy's jokes.

I want to repeat: It's *not* that the camera is delayed that is the issue. Delays just happen and I'd rather they release a working camera late than a $4000 paper weight on time. The issue is the lack of communication!

BMD: IF YOU READING THIS--Tell us what is going on!!!

harrison mason

PostSat Oct 26, 2013 1:10 am

I have been talking with blackmagic design every week for 10 weeks and all they just say we don't know
just tell us it will take more time all they told me is
That is not an announcement that we have. At this point, we are still awaiting word from Company HQ, as to the new release date. As soon as a date is official, it will be on our website. on the 23 of October

harrison mason

PostWed Nov 13, 2013 3:49 pm

69 more days to blackmagicdesign Releases the production camera 4k
they told me they told me around january

egibson001

PostThu Nov 14, 2013 9:58 pm

harrison mason wrote:69 more days to blackmagicdesign Releases the production camera 4k
they told me they told me around january

Can anyone else verify this?

frenchiefilms

PostFri Nov 15, 2013 1:33 am

The website at least now shows 'Shipping Q4' so that's an update. Of course, that could mean Q42014 :)

~Phil
==
Phillip Davis
pdavis@frenchiefilms.com

harrison mason

PostFri Nov 15, 2013 6:55 pm

thank you frenchiefilms.

the company i purchased the blackmagic production camera 4k from told me they will Release it
by the end of December 2013 or January 2014. now this information is not confirmed by my
dealer they received an email from blackmagic design stating the information
I can't verify if this is the real Release date so far that is all we know now about
a Release date

I thank for the people that ordered the production camera 4k at the NAB show thru August.
will get there camera before the people that ordered in September, October ,and now thru December

I purchased my camera in October maybe I will get it in February 2014.

when did you purchased your production camera 4k :D

frenchiefilms

PostFri Nov 15, 2013 7:46 pm

I haven't yet, I've got one of those needs for a second camera, where I need to spend some money for tax purposes to expand the company... but if I buy this one, and it doesn't post til after 2014, I don't get the benefit, so I am waiting right now to decide. I may just get a BMCC or another 5DMKIII. Still on the fence... If this had come out as expected, it would have made the decision a lot easier.
==
Phillip Davis
pdavis@frenchiefilms.com

LiamGummer

PostFri Nov 22, 2013 9:34 pm

Can we expect to see a timelapse feature built into this camera or will there be an update in the future like we saw with the cinema camera?

harrison mason

PostSat Nov 23, 2013 2:59 pm

Yes I thank so

Matvey Stavitsky

PostSat Nov 23, 2013 7:25 pm

Anyone have any news on release date? There's been a rumour that It's going to get shipped in next 30 days. Sounds like wishful thinking to me, but deep inside I want to believe :lol:

Sergei Smolovich

PostSun Nov 24, 2013 2:41 pm

I start to think, that I have to cancel my order ..
Last edited by Sergei Smolovich on Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

Mark Jamerson

PostWed Nov 27, 2013 12:05 am

The post above mine specs I'd wait for it and also the camera is expected Feb not sure if you seen this date. But all Rental sites have the same info as they are usually in line first and have more information than us. Happened with the Pocket camera btw
Mark Jamerson
Jamerson Studios

Dillon McEvoy

PostWed Nov 27, 2013 6:51 pm

It's safe to say Black Magic dropped the ball on this one.

Mikael Johansson

PostSat Nov 30, 2013 4:04 pm

I am a bit confused. Everyone keeps refering to uppdates on the delivery date. Some saying december now february.

Mark Jamerson wrote:The post above mine specs I'd wait for it and also the camera is expected Feb not sure if you seen this date. But all Rental sites have the same info as they are usually in line first and have more information than us. Happened with the Pocket camera btw

Where are these announcements? I can't find any dates on this website or forum and the shop I ordered my BMP camera from have only their own guesses since they don't get any information from BMD themselves. :roll:

idono4563

PostMon Dec 02, 2013 6:20 pm

If anyone at BM is listening, which I assume they never are, you all can **** me off. This company has had endless opportunity to keep us involved in the process of releasing this camera. Instead you keep us in the dark. So to all you PR types involved in this 4k camera development. **** me. **** me hard. I hate you. I hope you read this and ban me from the forums because guess what, this announcement forum is useless anyways, just like your PR jobs. **** YOU
Last edited by Tony Rivera on Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Inappropriate/derogatory language for the forums

Anders Holck

PostMon Dec 02, 2013 6:24 pm

That was a mature post. It's better if they shut up until product is close to release instead of announcing while still on the drawing board.. But that post was a little too much.. I also want mine..

Sent from my Xperia Z1 using Tapatalk 4
==============

BlackMagic URSA mini 4.6K EF & BlackMagic Pocket Cinema Camera
Sony FDR-AX100 & Canon EOS 5D Mark II
Still and video

Mikael Johansson

PostMon Dec 02, 2013 6:33 pm

71 members online and NOT ONE knows where BMD makes these announcements that I apparently am missing.
Now it's more of a quriosity since I canceled my order and went with the Sony NEX SF700R. A pitty since I was looking forward to trying "the small company" camera, and I probably could have waited but you know how it is, customers want dates not guesses and I can't even tell my customers whether the BMP will come out in a month, 6 months, a year or if they kick it and dont deliver att all. I just feel sorry for the people who had to put a downpayment for one :evil:

schizopolis

PostTue Dec 03, 2013 10:18 pm

My speculations would be... that (I think/hope) BM is not company which could make such bad moves if not beeing sure to stunt us adding few more features like 240 fps, XLR's, HD lcd etc to compansate all this our dissatisfaction.

For pre-orders smth extra would be expedient. :ugeek:

TheLostMale

PostTue Dec 03, 2013 11:22 pm

AH HA! This is proof that BM *does* read this forum! They are just *choosing* to ignore us!

Last edited by Tony Rivera on Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Inappropriate/derogatory language for the forums

harrison mason

PostWed Dec 04, 2013 8:00 pm

Hi i have a question for Tony Rivera I Emailed BMD headquarters on 11/26/2013 about an up date on the production camera 4k and they told me that Our engineers are currently fine tuning the Blackmagic Production Camera 4K At this moment it looks like the camera will be ready for release within a couple of weeks. However we can guarantee a release window since unforeseen tweaks and adjustments may need to be made. is that still the case MR.Rivera
Thank you for your time
Harrison Mason

Tony Rivera

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Dec 04, 2013 8:10 pm

I am not currently aware of what the status on the camera is as of the last week or so as I don't speak with the development/engineering department on a regular basis. That being said, I do know is that the camera is still being worked on but I have no update for a this.
Support: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support
Info: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/company

Follow us on Instagram:
@blackmagicnewsofficial

harrison mason

PostWed Dec 04, 2013 8:16 pm

but q4 ends in December because q4 is the 4th quarter of the year in a financial calendar
the 4th quarter of a financial calendar is October, November and December

Tony Rivera

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Dec 04, 2013 8:23 pm

I don't have a specific date if that's what you're inquiring about. I had mentioned before in a previous post about the same subject that it is scheduled to be released by the end of the quarter.

Follow us on Instagram:
@blackmagicnewsofficial

harrison mason

PostWed Dec 04, 2013 11:40 pm

Thank you Mr.Rivera for you time and reply.

TheLostMale

PostThu Dec 05, 2013 1:23 am

Tony,

Thank you for your reply. Could you tell us if these "tweaks" are going to change any of the advertised specification?

Tony Rivera

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Dec 05, 2013 5:01 pm

I have no knowledge of what the "tweaks" are unfortunately.

Follow us on Instagram:
@blackmagicnewsofficial

TheLostMale

PostThu Dec 05, 2013 6:03 pm

Hi Tony,

Thanks again for your quick reply. I've heard rumors that the original delay was caused by something to do with the image sensor, and I've heard speculation that the delay may have been caused because they decided to change the image sensor to a cmosis.com image sensor at the last minute. Could you tell us if this is true and can you say exactly which image sensor they are using in the 4K camera?

Tony Rivera

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Dec 05, 2013 6:24 pm

I don't have access to that information. Only the development/engineering department would know what the inner workings of the camera are at this point.

Follow us on Instagram:
@blackmagicnewsofficial

TheLostMale

PostThu Dec 05, 2013 6:51 pm

Tony,

I understand that they have not yet released that information to you. Many of us in the business are very technically inclined and do not like using mysterious magic boxes that just make pretty images (cough, cough...RED). We want to know every single detail about the tools that we invest tens of thousands of dollars in and use on a daily basis. Could you please convey to the engineers and managers at BM that those of us who are hoping to invest in the BM4K would really appreciate knowing the make and model of the image sensor? For many of us in the Business, simply the knowing more of the details is a selling point for a camera.

KCIUK

PostFri Dec 06, 2013 5:02 pm

Cut and paste from NO FILM SCHOOL story on SHOULD BM WAIT ? This article was released in the last two days . I cant paste a link but a search is easy enough.

short clip:-

We already know the current sensor in the Blackmagic Product Camera 4K is limited to 30fps (as is the Cinema Camera and Pocket Cinema Camera), but if it is indeed using the previous version of this CMV12000 sensor, it is capable of much, much more. With how many relatively inexpensive 4K cameras are likely going to be out over the next 12 months, the Production camera is going to have a lot more company very soon — even if none of those new cameras can do RAW or ProRes. There will also not likely be any global shutter CMOS sensors among the new lower-cost cameras. That means Blackmagic will still have an edge in many areas compared to what comes out, but at what cost?

Anyone from BMD care to comment , hell you wait too long for product two it could run into product 3!

Dustin Albert

PostFri Dec 06, 2013 5:59 pm

There is absolutely no way that they are switching sensors.

First, I would imagine that it would cost more for the updated sensor, thereby increasing the camera cost. They aren't going to change the cost of the camera. They would more likely use it in the next design, where they will have more flexibility on price.

Second, it's possible that a sensor change would not only take time, but an overall design change. That's something at this point in time they are not going to do. Not to mention the sensors are not yet shipping, so they really aren't going to wait for all the bugs to be ironed out on that end, at this point.

Third, Let's not forget that the current sensors (assuming BMD is using the CMOSIS chip) is capable of 150 fps. So maybe, just maybe, by updating the sensor they would tap into 60 fps, but then that's a whole lot of data to reconsider when it comes to storage on the SSDs.

Finally, I believe that Grant just did an interview in Europe, where he basically says higher frame rate UHD is a gimmick at the moment, which makes me think he's not too interested in a sensor update at this time.

I think that everyone needs to take a chill pill on the high frame rate issue with these cameras. They offer outstanding devices at low cost and everyone expects to have everything. It's just not gonna happen. If you want an affordable camera, you need to make sacrifices. Even higher end cameras don't give you all that you want.

Most professionals/production companies don't rely on one camera to get the whole job done, and neither should you. Remember that you can always budget and rent equipment for certain tasks. If your client wants slow-motion, just let them know it's gonna cost them. Otherwise, you'll have to cheat the slow-mo with some form of optical flow simulation.

Another thing you should probably think about before purchasing this camera (if your one of those people that want all features for low cost) - it's gonna cost you a lot more than $4K to get what you would like out of it. You'll have to have great quality lenses (especially for 4K), rigs, SSDs, extended bat, etc.

Just remember - this camera is not going to make you better. It's not the answer you've been looking for that's gonna transform you into a movie making machine.

This response is not directed at anyone in particular, rather than just some information that everyone should consider, if they have not already done so.
Never stop learning and trying new things…

harrison mason

PostWed Dec 11, 2013 4:11 pm

Maybe 19 days to the release of BMD production camera 4k
They told me it will be shipping Q4 and Q4 is the end of December :roll:

Sergei Smolovich

PostThu Dec 12, 2013 5:39 am

Do I have to cancel my order ? :shock:
Last edited by Sergei Smolovich on Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

ronhaley

PostThu Dec 12, 2013 5:45 am

Wasn't there a BM post a while back ridiculing rumors that the 4K wouldn't ship until 2014?!

Based on the current lack of test footage, it's my betting that they will be lucky to make NAB 2014.

harrison mason

PostThu Dec 12, 2013 4:22 pm

Isn't December the end of the year serge smart as I mentioned an earlier post with Mr.Rivera
Q4 is in the fiscal year and we'll did it ship in November no. So i'm right the and of the year is December
And I don't think that they will take your idea it is a good idea but they are just fixing the firmware
to accommodate the changes of the sensor :idea:

Johnholiday

PostThu Dec 12, 2013 10:56 pm

The camera will be here and most of you will shoot COMPRESSED RAW 4k footage of your cat or your trees and DREAM about being BRAVE enough to take on a feature....BMPC just another golf club you'll never swing to full potential so stop acting as if Blackmagic is at fault for you not receiving your Academy Award for best BS of the year;)
Now for those smart enough to understand why the long wait..I hope you really kick XXX with this wonderful camera.
Last edited by Terry Frechette on Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Deleted profanity

harrison mason

PostFri Dec 13, 2013 1:30 am

I own a used red one and i like to have a 2nd 4k camera

Dave Perry

PostFri Dec 13, 2013 4:34 am

Johnholiday wrote:The camera will be here and most of you will shoot COMPRESSED RAW 4k footage of your cat or your trees and DREAM about being BRAVE enough to take on a feature....BMPC just another golf club you'll never swing to full potential so stop acting as if Blackmagic is at fault for you not receiving your Academy Award for best BS of the year;)
Now for those smart enough to understand why the long wait..I hope you really kick ass with this wonderful camera.

Tru dat!

+1
S1H
----------------------------------------------
Dave Perry Cinematographer LLC
Director of Photography • Camera Operator
524 N. Normandie Ave. Unit 2
Hollywood USA 90004
LAcinematographer.com

KCIUK

PostSat Dec 14, 2013 2:03 pm

Guys the past few comments smack of personal attack ... I would have hoped that if you guys were professionals you would be above this ! Now lets go fire up 611 ....

harrison mason

PostSun Dec 15, 2013 5:43 pm

KCIUK wrote:Guys the past few comments smack of personal attack ... I would have hoped that if you guys were professionals you would be above this ! Now lets go fire up 611 ....

You're right I'm sorry if I caused any problems instead of arguing over the camera we should embrace what we could do with it and work together and that's what this form is about not trying to put each other down but to work together :D

TheLightFactory

PostThu Dec 19, 2013 4:49 am

Very good news! It's just around the corner guys!

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16615&view=unread#unread
Mark

harrison mason

PostThu Dec 19, 2013 3:52 pm

TheLightFactory wrote:Very good news! It's just around the corner guys!

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16615&view=unread#unread

so do you think they might start shipping in January :D

KCIUK

PostThu Dec 19, 2013 9:54 pm

Has anyone managed to un Zip this file of camera test footage, once downloaded ?
I have downloaded it twice and get the " not valid archive" from both when trying to unzip with Winzip in W7 64

KCIUK

PostThu Dec 19, 2013 10:40 pm

Grant this archive is I think corrupt
http://video.blackmagicdesign.com/Camer ... _Shots.zip

I have downloaded twice from this link and once again from a link on planet 5D. None of the files downloaded ( so far 27 Gigs ! ) has been a valid archive and able to be un zipped. It is also reported on several other forums that this is quite a widely held experience.

I do hope that this, like the camera , is working properly soon .

TheLightFactory

PostFri Dec 20, 2013 12:13 am

I too have tried to download the footage without success, there are people posting examples on youtube. Although youtube is almost the worst way to view the footage, here's one example.

Mark

Mike Myshko

PostFri Dec 20, 2013 1:21 pm

KCIUK wrote:Has anyone managed to un Zip this file of camera test footage, once downloaded?

The zip is corrupt, looks like someone ftp'd the file in ascii instead of binary.

Managed to get 8 files out (4.87GB), made a torrent but the forum won't let me post urls, pm if you want.

Or can share a key with any BTSync users.

If you're using linux, you can get the files using "unzip Blackmagic_Production_Camera_4K_Shots.zip" from a terminal.
Mike Myshko
+ design and film technician

t. +44 7776 152 113
e. mike@myshko.net
tw. @heymyshko
w. hey.myshko.net

IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3698652/

Djreversal

PostSat Dec 21, 2013 1:32 am

Well my new Mac Pro is not shipping till January now.. So i can wait a few more weeks before i hope this unit is shipping. Will be my first camera and video editing rig, should be fun to learn on..
PreviousNext

Return to Announcements