Orbital Redux Live Streamed with Blackmagic Design

Get all your news and announcements here!
  • Author

Kerry de Boer

Blackmagic Design

Orbital Redux Live Streamed with Blackmagic Design

PostWed Dec 12, 2018 2:42 pm

Blackmagic Design announced today that Orbital Redux, a live performed eight episode scripted science fiction series, was streamed using extensive Blackmagic Design technology, including cameras, switchers and routers, and recorded on HyperDeck Studio.

Orbital Redux was the brainchild of writer/director Steven Calcote of Butcher Bird Studios. His passion for science fiction and science fact led him to envision a story that combined the two. “My work as a director has often focused on the intersection between high technology and humanity,” said Calcote. “But after a decade of flat screen interactivity and pervasive autonomous systems I began to ask myself what would happen if hackers and AI driven viruses began to make computerized systems unreliable.” Orbital Redux reflects a return to this concept of Apollo era spaceflight: thousands of switches, knobs, and dials, all due to the failure of high technology.

The story, told in eight live performed and live broadcast episodes, revolves around two pilots in charge of transporting a critical resource from the moon to the Earth: Helium-3. Despite the failure of technology, the Earth still requires this resource that only space flight can provide. Orbital Redux follows Zachery “Max” Levodolinksy, a former astronaut navigating life after NASA runs out of funding, removing all the thrilling, heroic jobs. The story picks up when Max is tasked with teaching a new pilot the ropes of the space program. Though initially they are at odds, as the new hire is there to replace Max, the pair must later combine forces for survival when a redux fails.

To learn more, please visit: https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/media/ ... 0181212-01

Return to Announcements