New Hyperdeck 3.8 update now available

Get all your news and announcements here!
  • Author

Christine Peterson

New Hyperdeck 3.8 update now available

PostTue Jul 02, 2013 2:55 pm

Hyperdeck Utility 3.8 is now available.

New in this update:
• New 6Gb/s SDI output support for HyperDeck Studio Pro
• New LCD on screen menu system for HyperDeck Studio and HyperDeck Studio Pro
• New ethernet protocol support for developers for HyperDeck Studio and HyperDeck Studio Pro

To access this update, visit the Support page and select your product.
Christine Peterson

(Previously Community Relations Manager for Blackmagic Design)

Quinn Quality

Re: New Hyperdeck 3.8 update now available

PostTue Jul 02, 2013 3:38 pm

Almost to late ;-)
Qmedia.nu
Lijnbaan 16
1969 NE Heemskerk
The Netherlands

JohnBengston

PostTue Jul 02, 2013 4:44 pm

Christine

I have to disagree with Quinn Quality on timing, since I just got confirmation my Hyperdeck is ordered, although pretty subjective, the timing is perfect for me.

I should have in a day or two, and I'll immediately get the API interfaces exposed for all my JustMacros ATEM users so they have network control (whatever you offer is better than previous). I have previously publically criticised this product for lack of network interfacing making it seem almost like it was replicating out of date tech just with SSDs. I was buying it purely to check out the 422 control in detail on behalf of other BMD customers, I now feel it may have been a good purchase anyway, and that my previous assertions may have been wrong.

Basically I'm saying good choice of updates to prioritise, although I am bias (who isn't), BMD team members have my sincere thanks for this one.

Best Wishes

John

hundlos

PostTue Jul 02, 2013 5:43 pm

please answer my question about the network interface

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9621

Aleksander Steffensen

PostWed Jul 03, 2013 11:42 am

Thank you, BMD, for the update! Now we're finally getting somewhere. I love the menu system, and I'm looking forward to seeing documentation for the ethernet protocol!
Steffensen Multimedia
http://www.stmm.no

Quinn Quality

PostWed Jul 03, 2013 8:54 pm

It was announced for June ;-)
Qmedia.nu
Lijnbaan 16
1969 NE Heemskerk
The Netherlands

Rob Hargreaves

PostFri Jul 05, 2013 5:56 am

Please let us know if the Hyperdeck Studio (Pro) will ever support Prores 4:2:2 or LT!
Uncompressed / Prores HQ is simple overkill for a number of us as the quality difference isn't noticeably especially when compressed & reduced for the web. We have to use a Njnja2 as our main recording device in order to keep file sizes manageable for the long sessions we record!

Clement Nicolaescu

PostFri Jul 05, 2013 9:48 am

plegilink wrote:Please let us know if the Hyperdeck Studio (Pro) will ever support Prores 4:2:2 or LT!
Uncompressed / Prores HQ is simple overkill for a number of us as the quality difference isn't noticeably especially when compressed & reduced for the web. We have to use a Njnja2 as our main recording device in order to keep file sizes manageable for the long sessions we record!

A big +1 for this

DanielDroege

PostFri Jul 05, 2013 12:39 pm

Update works.

Timecode loop through unfortunately still missing. :(

Darryl Gregory

PostTue Jul 09, 2013 1:34 am

This is not needed for the shuttle correct?

Quinn Quality

PostTue Jul 09, 2013 8:11 pm

ClementN wrote:
plegilink wrote:Please let us know if the Hyperdeck Studio (Pro) will ever support Prores 4:2:2 or LT!

A big +1 for this

I would give it a +100 if it was possible.
Qmedia.nu
Lijnbaan 16
1969 NE Heemskerk
The Netherlands

phillipseamore

PostWed Jul 10, 2013 2:41 am

Regarding the IP protocol, it's a splendid start but please look at these notes:
  • There seems to be only one concurrent connection allowed, they are rejected without any information like "Too many connections"
  • For simplification there should be no opening reply, or at least it should be single line with a specific code '200 HyperDeck Studio Pro 1.0'
  • There needs to be a command to forcefully close the connection (i.e. quit, exit, bye)
  • 'Slot get' doesn't seem to function (Does it require disks in both slots? I only tested with one.) However 'Slot get:\r\nSlot id:1\r\nr\n\' works. So you would have to check both slots instead of just getting a list.
  • Since a colon is used to indicate multiple commands, requiring line feeds seems redundant, one should be able to send a one line command like: 'play:speed:100:single clip:true:loop:true\r\n' or similar.
  • Shortcuts for goto timecode like start and end. (goto: timecode:start) [Note that end is good for backwards play]

Future feature requests:
  • Being able to set starting timecode for 'record' (recording:name:myRecording:timecode:01:00:00:00\r\n)
  • Ability to delete clips and format disk
  • Change inputs or atleast change to the current input, I'd like to be able to return to live input loop-through for instance
  • Command to get information on current time (answer like: 'current timecode - starting timecode - end timecode')
  • A command that gives you the information about current time updated on every played frame

Thanks,
Phil

Darryl Gregory

PostThu Jul 11, 2013 7:22 am

Darryl Gregory wrote:This is not needed for the shuttle correct?

Let me rephrase the question...

Does this "UPDATE" have anything to do with the "Hyperdeck Shuttle 2"?

Thank You!

Will repeat this post in 3 more days!

Thanks

Christine Peterson

PostThu Jul 11, 2013 2:09 pm

Darryl Gregory wrote:
Darryl Gregory wrote:This is not needed for the shuttle correct?

Let me rephrase the question...

Does this "UPDATE" have anything to do with the "Hyperdeck Shuttle 2"?

Thank You!

Will repeat this post in 3 more days!

Thanks

Not to my knowledge. If anything significant was improved for the Shuttle, it would be in the release notes. There is no downside to upgrading though, so why not?
Christine Peterson

(Previously Community Relations Manager for Blackmagic Design)

RRRoger Martin

PostTue Jul 23, 2013 11:18 pm

Let us know when Pro Res LT (100), Proxy (43),
DNxHD 145, or 45 are added.

I record 1080P/29.97 from my D800e
My highest use is BlueRay disc for TV viewing.

I too may have to switch to Atomos Ninja 2 because of the available file sizes.
Last edited by RRRoger Martin on Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

devJW

PostWed Jul 24, 2013 9:39 am

The company I work for have asked me to develop a desktop application that utilizes the new Hyperdeck Ethernet Protocol in a simple graphical user interface. This would allow people unfamiliar with Telnet to remotely control their Hyperdeck devices over a network.

I wanted to know if anybody else would find this useful. If so, I will post it online somewhere, for free of course.

Aleksander Steffensen

PostWed Jul 24, 2013 10:50 am

devJW wrote:The company I work for have asked me to develop a desktop application that utilizes the new Hyperdeck Ethernet Protocol in a simple graphical user interface. This would allow people unfamiliar with Telnet to remotely control their Hyperdeck devices over a network.

I wanted to know if anybody else would find this useful. If so, I will post it online somewhere, for free of course.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10204#p64471

Yes please! :)
Steffensen Multimedia

KnightProductions

PostThu Jul 25, 2013 7:00 pm

Christine, thank you very much for release 3.8. It is a significant improvement and greatly appreciated!

Could you share with the forum what is currently being considered for future firmware releases?

I think that many of us on the forum have high hopes for the HDSP to become a piece we can endorse and recommend for use in our respective fields, but we still have concerns on missing features. Personally I'd love to see HDSP compete head to head with AJA KiPro, however until some of the following issues are addressed I have reservations endorsing that message. Below is a list of features that I'd like to be considered in future firmware revisions.

- HDD disk utilities menu: % of disk use meter, disk format, single clip delete
- XLR I/O Timecode issues: loop through, internal LTC generator with master/slave toggle and freerun capabilities
- Audio Level adjust: Toggle between Mic/Line levels and level ramp up/down
- Digital Audio I/O on XLR
- Indicator of current file name that is selected. Currently the only way to identify a clip during playback is to watch the preview monitor. Can a field be added to the screen that shows clip name(even if it's an auto numbered sequence).
- Up/Down/Cross signal conversion
- Is the USB port capable of USB 3.0? If so will the feature we see on ThunderBolt(scopes, media recording) ever be available to PC platform via USB3.0?

Feature that would require new hardware release:
- No headphone port. Very critical feature for all live application guys. Only current solution is Audio Monitor, however most engineers would rather trust the headphone port on each individual record desk than one master audio monitor.

Terry Frechette

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Jul 25, 2013 7:10 pm

Afternoon:

Thanks for the kind words. However we do not discuss the status of feature requests before we announce them, so can't give you all the answers you are asking for. But we will definitely be putting up any news here as soon as new updates are ready.

Thanks again.

Regards,
Terry

Aleksander Steffensen

PostFri Jul 26, 2013 1:14 am

Terry Frechette wrote:Afternoon:

Thanks for the kind words. However we do not discuss the status of feature requests before we announce them, so can't give you all the answers you are asking for. But we will definitely be putting up any news here as soon as new updates are ready.

Thanks again.

Regards,
Terry

Why in the world would you want to do public relations the Apple way? Many of your users are broadcast professionals who would find some kind of roadmap really useful. Anything less is unprofessional, in my opinion.
Steffensen Multimedia

RRRoger Martin

PostFri Jul 26, 2013 3:25 am

Yes we would like to know what Black Magic is working on.
However if the promise of a new product does not come to fruition, at least we are not disappointed.
On the other hand, I would not dump my Shuttle II for a Ninja II
if I knew you were planning on adding ProRes LT, Proxy, DNxHD 145, 45, or 36.

It seems to me that BM is missing a huge market for beginning Videographers,
by forcing us to use at least 220 Mbps for our "Home Movies".
Last edited by RRRoger Martin on Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.

evilb66

PostFri Aug 09, 2013 11:11 am

It seems that shuttle II's still don't handle RGB-YUV colorspace conversion.
any chance that will ever happen?
the first part of my real name is Mr B. if that's not enough for bmd, please cancel my registration to this site. then i will re-register with a new email and fake name anyway.

tgatesman

PostThu Aug 15, 2013 9:06 pm

KnightProductions wrote:- HDD disk utilities menu: % of disk use meter, disk format, single clip delete
- XLR I/O Timecode issues: loop through, internal LTC generator with master/slave toggle and freerun capabilities
- Audio Level adjust: Toggle between Mic/Line levels and level ramp up/down
- Digital Audio I/O on XLR
- Indicator of current file name that is selected. Currently the only way to identify a clip during playback is to watch the preview monitor. Can a field be added to the screen that shows clip name(even if it's an auto numbered sequence).
- Up/Down/Cross signal conversion
- Is the USB port capable of USB 3.0? If so will the feature we see on ThunderBolt(scopes, media recording) ever be available to PC platform via USB3.0?

Great post and list of requested feature/bug fixes. May I add two more to the list?
- HDMI RGB-YUV colorspace conversion or at least YUV 444 support (currently can only get YUV 422 to work correctly with the HDSP...YUV 444 works on the shuttle II, though)
- Control video and audio selection through the ethernet protocol

Return to Announcements