The Real Name policy is unsafe

Got something to discuss that's not about Blackmagic products? Then check out the Off-Topic forum!
  • Author

mdegans

The Real Name policy is unsafe

PostTue Nov 05, 2019 9:09 pm

I've been able to Google the real names and usernames of various forum members and find:

- places of employment
- social media accounts
- dick pix
- racist slurs
- social media accounts with dick pix and racist slurs

More than enough to blackmail. Besides which people post their logs and details about the hardware and software they use here (including logs), it's a disaster waiting to happen. I'm not thrilled my name was linked to this account without my consent either, especially since the information was only given when I registered the program. That was some BS there. I fully expect the messenger to be shot here and the topic locked, but maybe, instead, Blackmagic can reconsider it's ill advised policy.

As a child I was taught by my parents to never use your real name online or give out any personally identifying information. That was back in the early 90s. At some point Facebook, in an exploitative effort, made it popular to throw caution to the wayside. As a result we have a clown as president*. Please stop imitating bad, unsafe, policies. Some of us have stalkers or otherwise need (or simply want) the anonymity.

* without real names the Russians would have had a more difficult time microtargeting actual voters.

jamedia

Re: The Real Name policy is unsafe

PostSat Nov 30, 2019 1:26 pm

As most (all?) of us are in business under our real names and companies with linked in profiles etc I can't see that using real names is a problem.

I can assume that you don't mind anyone knowing your company. I find it gets me work.
Social media accounts... Don't link them to your profile on here.

Under my "unique" name there are three or four others with the same name on a 30 mile radius. So just knowing your name won't find you on social media unless you have put up far too much information.

As for
- dick pix
- racist slurs
- social media accounts with dick pix and racist slurs
I don't have any of those. If you do then that is your problem don't do it..
OTOH if you do find users with those then better to know.

BTW a lot of employers look on social media to check people when interviewing prospective staff.

As a child you should not be on social media.
If you want to be anonymous then don't go on social media.
In a professional forum you should he identifiable.

Incidentally the Russians would not need real names for the targeting you suggest.

Regards
Chris
JAmedia, Birmingham UK
www.JAmedia.uk

Jim Simon

PostSun Dec 01, 2019 7:53 pm

I take the opposite view.

I consider the Freedom to Communicate to be a basic Human Right. But with all rights come certain responsibilities. In this case, to "sign" all one's communications so everyone knows who's talking.

mdegans

PostMon Dec 02, 2019 9:15 pm

jamedia wrote:BTW a lot of employers look on social media to check people when interviewing prospective staff.

Sure, and 20 years ago that would be seen, rightly, as an unacceptable invasion of privacy. Like the wrong music, the wrong movies, the wrong political pages? Then don't get hired. It's no longer enough to pass a criminal background check and be able to do the job. Now you need to pass an ideological one as well and this is aided by real name policies. You need to think the right way or not be employed. You defend this.

Besides you're ignoring the security issues. So maybe the employee doesn't report his social media accounts but is outed by a site like this. Maybe I'm a black hat hacker and I know you work for a company I'm targeting. Maybe thanks in part to the real name policy I can now blackmail you into breaching your corporate network.

Even accidentally, you could be leaking a lot more information than you think you are. Log files routinely posted on the forum are full of system information like user names, paths, program versions, environment variables, all of which would aid in a targeted attack where somebody can tie all this back to your real name and employer.

It's worth noting that some more security conscious employers will forbid use of social media partially for these reasons. All it's good for is stalking people. If you're a Facebook, or a facebook customer, like Cambridge Analytica, that's great. If you're a Facebook user, it's not so great.

If you want to be anonymous then don't go on social media.

Well, i'm not on social media. Twitter and Facebook are garbage fires. Being outed on here wasn't my choice either. My real name was added after the fact by the forum admins without my permission. They apparently got it from my product registration data (serves me right for registering). Ny name isn't a huge secret on it's own, but I do have stalkers and I am a target. Because my real name is posted here and will show up on a web search, I have to be even more careful about what I post. I would never post a log here, for example.

In a professional forum you should he identifiable.

Not everybody here is a professional video editor. I bought Resolve Studio to edit vacation footage. I have a tech/security background. I think it should be a choice as some people have good reason not to post under their real names. You're argument is basically that everybody should share everything because... really what has anybody got to hide. You really want to live in a society where nobody has any secrets? Secrets aren't just to hide the shameful. They're also to keep the vulnerable safe from persecution. They protect random people from hackers. This you ignore. Here's just one real world example (a cult trying to unmask a critic):

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2019/05/r ... d-fair-use

Incidentally the Russians would not need real names for the targeting you suggest.

No, but it certainly can help, especially when you can cross reference those with the voter rolls. Why do you think they hacked those as well? I don't know what the current policy is but Facebook used to let you target a list of user ids, which you can easily get from real names and geographic data.
Last edited by mdegans on Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:32 pm, edited 5 times in total.

mdegans

PostMon Dec 02, 2019 9:22 pm

Jim Simon wrote:I take the opposite view.

I consider the Freedom to Communicate to be a basic Human Right. But with all rights come certain responsibilities. In this case, to "sign" all one's communications so everyone knows who's talking.

That's not "responsibility", it's an artificial obligation you are imposing so you can retaliate on those whose views you don't agree with (or just for sh**s). FWIW nobody has a "right" to post on a privately owned forum, and the admins here can make the rules they choose. The First Amendment only prohibibits the government from censorship. That doesn't mean the rules are a good idea. If forum posters misbehave, then ban them. It's unnecessary to force people to post under their real names to maintain forum decorum. It only serves to reduce safety.

That being said, if you are talking about society at large, the EFF, and the US Supreme Court takes and opposite view on anonymous speech:

https://www.eff.org/issues/anonymity

Jim Simon

PostMon Dec 02, 2019 10:20 pm

mdegans wrote:You need to think the right way or not be employed.

Not sure I would want to work for a company that thinks like that.

Jim Simon

PostMon Dec 02, 2019 10:22 pm

mdegans wrote:That's not "responsibility", it's an artificial obligation you are imposing so you can retaliate on those whose views you don't agree with

Damn, you a cynical bloke, ain't ya.

Jim Simon

PostMon Dec 02, 2019 10:22 pm

mdegans wrote:the US Supreme Court takes and opposite view on anonymous speech

And I think that's a problem.

Dan Sherman

PostMon Dec 02, 2019 10:39 pm

mdegans wrote:I'm not thrilled my name was linked to this account without my consent either, especially since the information was only given when I registered the program. That was some BS there.

Actually you gave consent, but like many others you probably didn't take the time to read the forum TOS.

Directly from the TOS.
You agree to use your real name as your user name when registering, including your location and job title if applicable. We believe people who post under their own name will be more respectful of others when posting as opposed to posting anonymously.
X99-A II, 6850K 4.2 GHz, GTX 1070 FE (431.36), DDR4-2400 CL12-14-14 4x8 GB
Win 10 Pro 1809, Resolve Studio 16.1.0b.017

mdegans

PostTue Dec 03, 2019 7:50 pm

Jim Simon wrote:
mdegans wrote:That's not "responsibility", it's an artificial obligation you are imposing so you can retaliate on those whose views you don't agree with

Damn, you a cynical bloke, ain't ya.

And you're naive if you think people who hire don't judge. People are not machines. They have prejudices. Anonymity protects people.
Jim Simon wrote:
mdegans wrote:the US Supreme Court takes and opposite view on anonymous speech

And I think that's a problem.

Yes. Clearly we need to throw the entire of the first amendment under the bus because a few people are rude on the internet -- because banning those who cause trouble just isn't feasible. It's not like users of Blackmagic products don't regiser using unique identifiers anyway. Game console manufacturers manage to ban those who cause trouble by their serial numbers without requiring real names. So could Blackmagic. Again, the real name policy only serves to make targets out of those who post here.

mdegans

PostTue Dec 03, 2019 7:53 pm

Dan Sherman wrote:Actually you gave consent, but like many others you probably didn't take the time to read the forum TOS.

Directly from the TOS.

Yes, yes, and my eternal soul and first born son. All of it totally enforceable. Actually, it depends. Let's be real. Blackmagic wants the data for marketing purposes, not to maintain forum decorum, and it comes at the expense of customer safety.

mdegans

PostTue Dec 03, 2019 7:57 pm

Jim Simon wrote:
mdegans wrote:You need to think the right way or not be employed.

Not sure I would want to work for a company that thinks like that.

Not everybody has a choice. A blue voter in a red state might be judged for liking left leaning pages. The same the other way around. Maybe you're a member of an unpopular religious group. It's the divisive world we live in created in large part by social media. It's the end result of optimizing for engagement at any cost. People end up in bubbles crafted by a recommendation algorithm where they think anybody outside is evil. Facebook is the modern day two minutes of hate app. People are addicted to outrage. Hating our neighbor is our fix now, and real name policies are just asking for trouble.

Dan Sherman

PostThu Dec 05, 2019 6:10 pm

mdegans wrote:
Dan Sherman wrote:Actually you gave consent, but like many others you probably didn't take the time to read the forum TOS.

Directly from the TOS.

Yes, yes, and my eternal soul and first born son. All of it totally enforceable. Actually, it depends. Let's be real. Blackmagic wants the data for marketing purposes, not to maintain forum decorum, and it comes at the expense of customer safety.

If you don't like the TOS, then don't participate in the forum. The moderators will remove posts and users, they have done it before.

And by all means take BM to court if it makes you feel better........
X99-A II, 6850K 4.2 GHz, GTX 1070 FE (431.36), DDR4-2400 CL12-14-14 4x8 GB
Win 10 Pro 1809, Resolve Studio 16.1.0b.017

mdegans

PostThu Dec 05, 2019 8:21 pm

Dan Sherman wrote:
mdegans wrote:

Directly from the TOS.

If you don't like the TOS, then don't participate in the forum.

I don't like the TOS but still wish to participate. Were it an absolute deal breaker I would simply request my posts by deleted and leave, but instead, I will simply post less. My comments are out of concern for poster safety and nothign more. Blackmagic can certainly do what they want on their own forum and have done nothing actionable, however, that doesn't make the policy a good one.

Return to Off-Topic